TKR Putting my best foot forward

I guess we are all anxious to sprint towards the finish line......
 
I also have to take an antacid pill daily otherwise it wouldn't. I take 20mg Omeprazole in the morning which helps me tolerate the naproxen.
 
Yay! My Dr was booked till mid September, he pushed me into his schedule for tomorrow afternoon.
He has an in house Iv suite. I will get anti inflammatory Iv, probably some toradol, homeopathic agents as well. He will also give me a bag of essential vitamins to help boost my body after all I endured.
Will let you know to what extent it helps!!
 
Great news for you! Toradol helped my pain in the first few days.
 
Another night of excruciating pain. I am beginning to worry something could potentially be wrong. I am on Cipro for a uti. Do I have to suspect that the infection travelled to my new knee? What are the warning signs? I will try to search the forums for ans
 
Great news re getting to see the doctor. Not so great news re the uti and pain. Perhaps tag Josephine or the forum advisors for advice re possible infection?
 
I will take bloodwork today. Cbc,Esr.....I hope n pray there is nothing brewing.
 
I've heard of others having a UTI after a TKR, usually due to a catheter. My dad had one after his first TKR so with the second one his doc put him on an antibiotic after the surgery. I don't believe you have to worry about a UTI causing an infection in your knee.
My infection symptoms were seeping of the wound that grew in intensity over a week and a high fever. I really didn't notice any added pain. I did have a very tight IT band that overshadowed my knee pain at times though. But I'm glad you're seeing your a doc today. Is your incision closed? Mine was closed, but seeped anyway.
 
Waiting to hear a report from your doctor appointment. Hope all is well.
 
I know I have been absent for way too long. Was busy living my drama and didn't get to post about it....
In a nutshell, uti was persistent, recurring after multiple rounds of antibiotic. Turned into pyelonephritis, I was in n out of hospital. Still not resolved.
My worry is that my knee has really regressed.
Inflammation and warmth increased.
Clicking audibly worse, pain spiked with all this.
I am really apprehensive if my knee infected. Would I see it from outside at this stage?
Or is it normal for me to have these symptoms regardless?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some warmth is normal for up to a year, I had clicking for quite a few months even after the infection was cleared. Try to get the swelling under control because that would help your pain level. I could be wrong, but aspirating then culture growth would show whether there's an infection and the type of infection. My knee seeped when it was infected and I spiked a fever, but you probably had a fever with the UTI.
 
I know I have been absent for way too long. Was busy living my drama and didn't get to post about it....
In a nutshell, uti was persistent, recurring after multiple rounds of antibiotic. Turned into pyelonephritis, I was in n out of hospital. Still not resolved.
My worry is that my knee has really regressed.
Inflammation and warmth increased.
Clicking audibly worse, pain spiked with all this.
I am really apprehensive if my knee infected. Would I see it from outside at this stage?
Or is it normal for me to have these symptoms regardless?
Most infections of knee replacements come from unintentional contamination of the sterile field during surgery. It's not likely that your UTIs have carried infection to your knee.
However, I'm going to ask @Josephine for her advice for you.
 
@KarriB , @Celle thanks for reassuring me.
Will reculture urine Wednesday, they want to check if the same bacteria persistent to know what antibiotics to treat me with.
It's our Jewish holiday season now, so was definitely on my feet much longer than usual with all the cooking and serving....
Hope once my uti clears up my body will be able to propel healing energies towards my knee....!
 
Sorry you have had such a rough time! Hope they sort out what medication cocktail will work.
 
If you are able to elevate and ice for a good few days I'm betting the swelling will go down and you'll be able to bend with less pain.
 
I agree sometimes a week end in bed with your knee propped up on three pillows is a good way to rest up.
 
Hi

Sending you caring thoughts your way. Sorry read you're having such a rotten time. Elevation and ice is your best friend at the moment xxx please take it easy and take care of yourself @simryg, please remember you are not alone. You have so much support on this wonderful forum (((hugs)))

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Most infections of knee replacements come from unintentional contamination of the sterile field during surgery.
Most early infections. Meaning within 6-8 weeks.

It's more likely because you have been on your feet a lot.
 
As I expected, the urine culture showed positive again.
Hope we can resolve it this time.
I will try to take all your advice and at least try to rest and elevate my leg. I don't really have much cof a choice as its really hurting me, inflamed.....
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom