TKR Putting my best foot forward

@simryg I gave up on my cane in week 5. I still have it next to the couch just in case I feel I need it.. I started to use it week 2 only because my house is older and a walker would not fit down any hallway. You will know when the time is right. It's different for everyone. I also have a folding one in my car but I have only left the house to see my GP & OS and take the dog to the back yard on a long leash. I hold on to the door just to be safe. I still limp some but improving every day.
 
@Rafts @KarriB Yes I have been home since week 2 . My walker is used for a clothes rack and today I need the cane. It's going to rain and my knee knows it. I am one of the no patience people lol.
 
I have been MIA till now. The whole aspect getting ready to go home the actual flight home and a cherry on top getting up to the third floor, set me back about three weeks at least. My foot is very swollen the pain is constant companion. I am trying not to get depressed about it. It is understandable as I put my foot under a lot of stress. I got home Tuesday night, my son left to college in Gateshead,England on Thursday morning. So you can all imagine what a whirlwind of was.
 
@Raffs, I will check out your thread to see how your progress is going. Although at this point it's not good for me to compare.
 
I'd been wondering how you were doing and figured you were making the big adjustment from the flight and the stairs. Try to relax, ice, and elevate. As you are able to do that, maybe your body can release the stress from the trip and resume applying the energy to healing. Thanks for checking in. Hang in there. No doubt you'll get discouraged several more times before things get better.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60, thanks for your words of encouragement. I know I should cut my body some slack. But I can't help feeling discouraged being that I have such a setback and I feel like I am back to week three.
I will have to call my GP to work out pain management. I see that I am not doing anyone any favors by being stubborn about taking painkillers at this stage. I obviously cannot compare myself to anyone else at my stage. For every person is different, and so is the pace of recovery. I have a feeling that my fracture got really aggravated. I see that most of the swelling is at the side of the fracture.
I definitely try to ice as often as possible. My five-year-old is back home so that equals much more activity on my part. I will try to arrange to get teenagers from my area to come and play with him after school.
 
Will school be starting for him soon? Just remember you may have to let some things in the house go to concentrate on your kiddo and yourself. If your son is going off to school use that time to pamper your knee.
 
@KarriB, We enrolled him in a summer day camp that his school has. We couldn't leave him by someone for seven weeks and expect them to entertain him all day..... So he is out from 9:30-3. That is definitely going to be me time, or knee time....
I don't sleep at night, like literally zilch. When my husband's alarm goes off in the morn is usually when I start dozing off
I tried taking sleeping pills but just makes things worse as I'm up anyways and just groggy and out of sorts.
So I will have to lie down during day and sleep whenever can.
Staying up all day and making sure not to cat-nap did not help my sleep at night at all. My pain gets very bad at night, pain meds don't help enough. Tramadol hardly takes off edge.
 
It's almost 6:30 and I am still up. Had such intense pain, which causes heart palpitations booming in my chest and echoing in my head. It makes sleep impossible.
I took a Xanax about 1:00 which the cardiologist suggested for the palpitations. I cannot take any beta blockers as my bp is low to begin with and any meds geared for slowing pulse, lowers bp as well.
Even after Xanax my pulse was over 100. Not a comfortable state to be in at all. I iced my knee, took an oxicodone 5 mg which I haven't taken in a while. Still no sleep.
Now my son is up already all geared up to embrace the day, when all I want is to embrace my pillow and SLEEP!
 
Don't try to stay awake through the day, it won't help you sleep at night. You're tired because your body is exerting so much energy healing, so sleep through the day if you can. Most TKRs don't sleep well at night because of the pain. Tramadol did nothing for me. If you need something stronger for pain talk to your PCP, he or she may be able to help you.
 
Glad you're home safe and sound but sorry to hear you're still in a lot of pain. Hope you get this sorted really soon. Your son is in Gateshead in the UK?? They're a friendly bunch up there in the north east, he'll have a great time!
 
It's a lovely part of the country. He'll enjoy that. Hope the pain starts to dissipate sooner rather than later.
 
yup in UK.
I have 2 brothers living in London. He can visit them once in a while for weekend.
Waiting to hear from my dr to see what we can do at pain. I prob need anti inflammatory drugs as well to help w the swelling. It's amazing, when ice my knee, after while my foot can get freezing, still troublesome parts will be hot to the touch.
 
Yeah it's easy to get the train from where he is into London. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow re anti inflammatories too. Same here - my swollen and sore patch is still hot/warm even after icing. Told the OS on Saturday, he felt it and said it was normal for 6-7 weeks out.
 
You probably do need anti inflammatory tablets, I still take naproxen (Aleve) twice a day to help with swelling.
 
Back
Top Bottom