Guest viewing is limited

TKR Putting my best foot forward

He didn't want me on oxy at all.
He was actually very stingy w pain meds, even in the hospital, especially shocking in the hospital after 8 hr surgery,
Was sent home on norco in excruciating pain
One of the reasons I ended up back in the hospital for a week, my heart was in duress from so much pain
The medical team was adamant that my pain must stay controlled as my bp dropped dangerously and my heart rate accelerated every time pain peaked
 
His nurse told me last week to taper down the norco now as well,Magen even that wasn't giving me adequate coverage
I guess he sees too may people addicted to narcotics here in la.....
 
It's so contradictingly wierd to me.
His nurse waxed poetic how his patients are kept pain free. She reassured me of it every time we spoke. Was so shocked when he cancelled all Iv pain meds the first morn after surgery. He was quite upset when I wanted something stronger than norco after first pt session that morn.
 
@simryg you're still in LA now? If you are home in NY you may be able to get the correct pain meds from your PCP. It seems the OS would want to keep your pain under control with the issues you had in the first week.
 
I am still in La.
I would think so too, after cardiac scare we had. Plus my body had to deal w dbl pneumonia...... Obviously I need time to heal at my own pace.
I am seeing him tomorrow, bit apprehensive, don't want to be confrontational, but my needs should be med in a reasonable manner.
I'm not asking for morphine pump.....
 
What a great typo!
My needs should be med, isn't that the whole point of discussion, my needs should be med!!!
 
I was on oxycodone and Toradol while I was in the hospital and still on oxycodone when I went back in for my infection. My revision OS gave me Tramadol when I went home, after I told him I still had some oxycodone left. I don't understand these Drs.
I'm sorry you are having these problems and truly hope you can control the pain. Does icing help?
 
I keep on icing, so don't even want to know how I'd feel without doing so...
 
My OS gave three months of narcotics- would write a script for 100 at a time- after the three month period you couldn't get anymore. I felt that was reasonable, for by 12weeks you really can get by on just motrin. You had major surgery that takes a long time to heal @simryg..i would let him know that you are having serious pain issues and cannot progress in your recovery without first getting your pain under control.
 
That is why I am apprehensive abut appointment tomorrow. I am very appreciative of the diligence and extra special care during surgery. That is why I am so puzzled, he knows my surgery was far from the norm, plus all the additional stresses, why is he acting this way. The way he spoke it sounded like I had a history of addiction, he went on about how it's mind over matter, yada yada
 
Can you take someone with you to your appointment, for moral support? You need someone who can speak up for you if you get upset.
Write down what you want to say, include a reminder of how complicated your surgery was, and make sure that he knows what the emergency doctors said about pain causing your heart and blood pressure problems. Remind him you needed to spend time in hospital because of this. If you feel you can't talk, give him your written comments.

Your surgeon may be technically very competent, but he sounds as if he has a bee in his bonnet about medication. (If it were me, and if I could, I'd go home and see if my own doctor was more helpful.)

Inadequate pain relief can actually slow down healing. You had major surgery, with complications. How dare he tell you it is "mind over matter"? He knows how much he had to cut, saw and hammer.

You need (and deserve) to have your pain dealt with adequately.
 
@Celle well put, now if I can be as assertive!
I can put my thoughts down in writing better than I can articulate them especially under stress.
Will make list now.
Week 2 when I was in the hospital they took a ct scan of knee. We all know swelling is part n parcel of our ordeals. Most of my swelling is on the outer side of my knee. The ct showed fluid accumulation, as well as a fracture as I discussed in previous post. My dr did not allow them to withdraw fluids, and I was on the same page as so early after surgery would potentially do more harm than good. Now that overall swelling dissipating, the adema on side very obvious. He dismissed the radiology report denying any fracture, calling it an overread or something like it. Interesting to note that supposed fracture is we're all the swelling and crux of pain is located.
All this has me so worked up, it's 4:30 here and no sleep as of yet. Ok let's be honest, most nights sleepless in la....!
 
Please try not to get so worked up. I know that's easy to say, but hard to do.

Your knee is going to heal, on its own schedule, but it will take a little longer than some do, because of the complications.

Without seeing the X-Ray, we can't comment about whether or not there is a fracture. If there is, it will heal, too, although it will take a bit longer. Your surgeon could be right or wrong in what he says about a possible fracture. The thing about orthopaedic surgery and injuries is that nothing happens fast. It all takes time and patience.

If you continue to have concerns, it would probably be a good idea to seek a second opinion when you get back home. For that, you'll need copies of your notes and X-Rays. I'm not from the USA so i'm not sure of the time and insurance constraints and procedures about second opinions. @Jamie might be able to help you here.
 
Thank you for your support and words of encouragement. Will try to catch at least some sleep. Will keep you posted, quite literally.....
 
Celle is absolutely right (of course!). With your home being across the country I d be sure to get all the documentation from the surgery so you can have it with you in NY. You never know when you may need any or all that information.
 
I agree with everyone else. It's been much easier for me to get a copy of everything at my doctor's front desk. Start asking for copies now so you'll know where to go to get the latest visit notes before you head back to NY.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Good luck with the appointment tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Hugs.
 
So sorry you are having these problems. If you do need help with a surgeon once you get back home, tag me and let me know.

For now though, this is a time for assertiveness. You have medical issues and need to have proper pain management. Your surgeon needs to step up to the plate to help you. You don't have to be confrontational, but it would be important to insist that he tell you a good reason for allowing you to experience pain knowing your history.
 
How're you doing? (Not trying to sound like Joey Tribiani...!)
 
@Raffs, that would be "how YOU doing".......:loll:
I know an update overdue.
I actually had a great visit with my doctor. He saw me entering his office. He was floored how great I look:scratch:
He is this real professional doctor. While examining me, while checking my flex, he actually exclaimed "wow"!
I had purchased an ice wrap on Amazon and had used it for first time the previous night. My foot actually had a shape again, most of swelling was down! Will post pic soon of it as I love love love the product.
We took X-Rays, he was really pleased with my progress. He said after the trauma during surgery and complications after, he did not expect me to do so well at all. All aches n pains part of it......
I came to realize who the snake is. His PA examined me first, this real prissy young woman dr, with a chip on her skinny shoulders. I said that the norco really not agreeing with me, made me nauseous without benefit of pain relief. I asked if they can change prescription to something milder, maybe stay away from narcotics. The nurse practitioner came in all miffed why I asked to switch to oxycodone, that PA said I asked for stronger meds.....
Once I straightened out, she confessed that they have a patient that became addicted as she stayed on too long, they can't get her off.....
My doctor stayed in my room quite a while, addressing all my concerns. He said I can fly home at the 6 week mark, and I booked tickets on Aug 11. We booked direct flight first class (mileage points, Ty very much)
He gave me cane to use at home when I feel steady enough.
Yesterday had intense yet great workout with therapist. I walked up and down about 7 steps.
I am on tramadol 50 mg every 4 hrs now
I have the norco as back up for breakthrough pain only.
I have robaxin 750 which I take b4 go to sleep for spasms.
I find it a much better combo. Of course not as effective as the oxy, but I don't feel as sick to the stomach and more alert, more like myself.
I still have some oxy 5 mg that I "cheat" with after therapy.......:sleeep:
 
Back
Top Bottom