Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

These geniuses that make machines that insult you ought to at least give you the option to snark back...or to turn that feature off!
 
It's been a while! The June knee (R) is a little over 6 months old and August knee (L) is approaching 5 months old. I just got back from a trip to visit family in England. My house here in MA is easy to cope with--one story, some furniture up on risers, etc.--but it doesn't challenge me at all. So, a lot of my PT time prior to the trip was devoted to getting ready to cope with lots of stairs and low toilets and low cushy chairs--I kept asking my sister to measure steps and toilets and bed heights and then had Jen replicate that in the PT room :) I generally managed well while away but it wasn't always pretty!

Airports were a piece of cake. Walking has been fine so I wasn't worried about distances and didn't have any tight connections where I'd have to race between gates so I didn't ask for assistance. In fact, I was glad to have a chance to move around. I went through the xray machines in security but did also get wanded and patted--in Boston they were interested in my ankle for some reason (no metal there) and in London they were interested in my torso (the safety pin I'd used when my pants button fell off???).

I'm still aware of the knees and of having to pay attention to my gait, especially when I'm tired. I'm still taking acetaminophen regularly. I still have some stiffness and soreness if I've been in one position for too long and I really need to work on strength and stamina but overall, things are going well for this point in recovery. Happy New Year to all!
 
I’m glad you had a successful trip and traveling was good also. I’ve flown three times in the last year, each time had a pat down and hand dusting. Like you, it wasn’t always my knee that lit up. I’m flying again in February, so I’ll be prepared.
 
Hey Gertie! Glad to hear you made a trip and did well! That was really smart to get the measurements ahead of time and work at pt with them. So smart! Hope you had a good holiday!
 
My June knee is at the 7 month point and my August knee is 5 1/2 months old. I'm clearly in the doldrums, both with the season and with recovery--and the 2 are linked. Winter seems to be going on forever and we're still in January!

Because of the cold and early dark and icy roads I haven't been getting out for walks. There was one day last weekend when my neighborhood walking route was clear of snow and ice and I went for a short walk. My knees felt fine but overall I really felt out of shape. Grump, grump.

I'm at that stage in recovery when progress is slow and gains are small. So, I think it's time to list the positives again, instead of focusing on the negatives.

1. I'm full time back in the office again (except for snow days) and it's been fine. Knees feel a bit stiff when I've been sitting for a while or standing in one place but they quickly get over it. Likewise with getting out of the car.
2. Stairs, when I have to do them, are a bit easier. Problem is, I don't have to do stairs often so I don't have a chance to get better at them.
3. Getting up from various height chairs is easier--still need to push off with my hands from regular height chairs but I'm a more graceful and I think I'm using leg muscles more than arms.
4. Although I'm concerned about not getting enough exercise and being out of shape, I am able to do all ADLs with ease--go out to lunch or spend the day at work and stop at the grocery store and...
5. I've done some low impact aerobic routines in my living room (thank you YouTube) and am able to last the full 20 or 25 minutes. Knees are fine during the routine and feel somewhat stiff/sore in the evening afterwards but are fine the next day. I tried these routines back in December and August knee protested after 10 minutes. Now, if I just didn't find indoor exercise so boring...!

Problem is that this list looks very much like a list I made back in November, especially items 2, 3, and 4, which is why I'm feeling stalled out.
 
Last edited:
I agree this winter seems to be going on forever and it’s still January!

I think you’re doing great even if it’s boring! Better than the alternative.

I also rarely do stairs so I’m still not doing them well. My new knee can step up on the next step but I despise the weird feeling, so I usually don’t step up on it. Not good for progress though.

My son lives on a second floor so when I was there last month I did 4 of the steps in a row foot over foot. I used my cane for help and the operated leg didn’t feel too sturdy, but there were no repercussions. So I’m sure my leg would get with it if I had to do steps regularly.

Keep on keeping on!
 
I can tell you it wasn’t until 8 months that I started my regular exercise (lap swimming) and it took the wind out of my sails! The first time I got in the water I could only swim 3-4 laps before I felt exhausted. I had to work up to my normal laps (20-25) slowly. My OS warned me it could take a full year to recover and he was right.
 
So I’m sure my leg would get with it if I had to do steps regularly.
Yes! I really should start using the stairs sometimes at work rather than the elevator--but it is 25 steps between floors and I only want to try it if I have both hands free to grab railings on both sides if need be.
 
So what if we don’t do steps “normally”. It’s our knee and we get to say what happens to it! 25 steps is a lot. That’s like aggressive therapy.

At this point in recovery I am no longer accountable to anyone but myself. Actually I always was, but didn’t know that early on. But now more so than ever.
 
@Jockette I get that--I just want to be able to do those steps and wish I had some sort of in between option to practice on. I suppose I could make regular trips to the basement even though I don't need to...
 
I agree. I wouldn’t mind doing them normally either. I have 3 little steps out my front door, but not much of a handrail to hold onto. There’s a railing along my porch which is next to the steps, which is better than nothing, but not like an actual handrail for steps.

We always come in the house from the garage, and those 2 steps are high, the first one is actually a cement block. (not sure how that passed any code when the house was built) and the location doesn’t allow for redoing it as it’s right next to where the big door you drive through is. (Probably another code violation!) So...
 
To have had your two knees done so closely together, I think you're doing great! As your knees strengthen and heal more, you'll find everyday life will become easier and easier!
 
@sistersinhim Yes, I have to keep reminding myself that I had 3 joints replaced in less than a year. If I were only dealing with the right knee, I'd be going strong right now.
 
I'm now 7 1/2 months on June knee and 6 months on August knee. I continue to see slow and small improvements, for example, Thursday I went to a concert at a big venue near me. I was with friends, one of whom is in a wheelchair, so we had seats near the stage and took an elevator down from street level but at the end of the performance I didn't want to take up a space on the small elevator when there was a line of people who really needed it so I climbed up about 36 tiered steps (6 steps up then a short flat landing, then 6 more steps, etc.) and did fine.


On the "I'm still dealing with it" side:

--Still have a hard time if confronted with high steps and no railing (and since I don't need a cane for any other reason, I usually don't have one with me). I went to a friend's house for my meditation group last weekend and she has two 8 inch high steps down into her living room and no railing or nearby wall. I stayed up near the dining table rather than risking the steps.

--I walk more slowly than I used to--and more slowly than most of my friends. I really noticed this today when a friend and I were walking in cold rainy conditions and I wanted to hustle. Not sure what is slowing me down--I don't limp, PT thinks my gait is good. I think it's partly cautiousness--not wanting to trip on uneven pavement--but also something to do with lack of strength. I'm not going for exercise walks at this point because it's cold and icy outside. Hoping that when I can start doing that again, I'll pick up strength and speed.

--My knees are still quite sore and stiff when I first get up in the morning. I don't shift around much at night so my knees are in one position for a long time. I've learned to bend and straighten and massage my knees before I get up but still walk like a stork down the hall to the bathroom and feel pretty achy for the first 15 minutes or so that I'm up.

--Still taking acetaminophen consistently and feel it if I don't take it.
 
Last edited:
Hi @gertie Nice to hear from you! It’s been like old times hearing from several voices of the past the last few days!

I still walk slow, too, but a bit faster than a few months ago. My leg just feels weird, like it doesn’t want to support me if I walk too fast.

How are you on slopes? Up is better than a down slope, I still struggle with down. My driveway has quite a slope to it.

I can’t do stairs and I’m thinking I may not ever do them well again. I rarely have any to do. So, I’d have to go somewhere to practice them and then continue to do that, since I rarely have to do more than step up on a curb.

I don’t have the stiffness when I get up in the morning. I still sleep all night on my elevating wedge. I’m thankful for that since I have other unique issues.

I’m still taking the Tylenol twice a day.

I’ve been back to bowling since June. My approach to the line is different to accommodate the knee but it’s working good enough and I’m enjoying it.
 
Hi @gertie! Isn’t it great that going to concerts is fun again? Mr. Shoes and I frequent a venue with stairs (down to the venue) and the elevator takes for-ever. It’s wonderful to just be able to use the stairs without pain now.

You may find those higher steps do-able soon. It’s a quad strength thing. I have 8-9” steps leading up to my front door. For the longest time, I had to do the one step at a time thing (there is something to hold onto). When my knees became pain-free, I started making myself use just one leg per step. My right knee was great at it right away (show off that it is), but only this last month has Lefty become strong and good at it. I’m working on not using hands now.

I also find that climbing stairs in general has become lots easier lately.

Oh, and you will get that gear back. You nailed it about the walking practice. I slacked off over winter (flu, followed by ice and snow) and now that I’m walking outside again, I’ve gotten faster also. I noticed it at a mall this weekend. Our muscles are all out of practice!
 
Gertie, this is a good report! I think dealing comfortably with high stairs may just take a long time. I bet as you build strength walking, your speed will pick up and muscle strength will slowly build so that stairs become easier too. It's the old mantra of slow and steady wins the race. I notice at 11 months that a few stairs are not troublesome, but lots of stairs or a few high stairs show I need to rebuild muscle strength. It's hard to get up on either leg on the high stairs. I know you had a good trip to England where you dealt with stairs at your sister's, which gives me hope for a trip I have planned to New York at the end of next month. My daughter's guest room is in her basement with several stairs (but thankfully not high ones).

I think the early morning achiness is going to be a fact of life for me ( hope not for you!). I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get up one morning with out it. Hugs for the progress you (and I) are making.
 
I know you had a good trip to England where you dealt with stairs at your sister's, which gives me hope for a trip I have planned to New York at the end of next month.
Ah, a NYC trip--that's on my wish list for late spring. At my sis's house there were hand-holds and railings to help with the stairs.

I think you'll do fine. Out and about in town there are usually curb cuts and railings on stairways. It's at people's houses that I have problems. One of my close friends has 3 or 4, fairly high and slightly sloped steps, no railing, to get into her house. Not an option right now. And I've felt like those steps were risky even before the knee issues got bad.
 
@gertie - I have the same feelings about stairs at people's houses. At my sister's house she has about 8 steps in her sloped front yard (with a flat walk in between) to the main entrance. There are no railings either place. In her back yard, the are only four steps but they are tall ones. It is scary not to have a railing. Before my surgery, I was at my daughter's in NY and the railing to her steep basement steps came off in my hand! She fixed it while I was there so I am not worried about that for this trip. :giggle:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom