Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

Steps remain a boogeyman for me, too. The theater where we go has no railings (just seat backs) going down to our seats, so I ask Mr. Shoes for his arm. That’s all the support I need. I’m not sure I really NEED it, but I feel ever so much safer with something or someone to balance me.

Our legs are probably strong enough, but we have to learn to trust our balance too.
 
I think it should be mandatory for rails to be on all days over 3 or 4 high. It would sure be a lot safer for most people. I get someone to hold on to if I have to do steps without rails. I will ask help.
 
Might be time for an update on the knees! June is a little over 9 months old and Augie is 7 1/2. The knees are bopping along just fine. Now that the weather is improving, I go for a mile long walk most days after work. Barely think about June while I'm walking; Augie utters teensie complaints toward the end of the walk. I'd like to either extend the distance a bit or add in a second walk earlier in the day.

I'm increasingly comfortable with stairs but continue to want a railing. Shallow steps, like the 4 inch ones up to my front door, are fine without a railing but standard 6 or 7 inch steps, not so great. I get so irritated by the lack of a railing when I encounter it. I haven't been inside one of my good friend's houses since before June surgery because she has fairly high steep stairs onto her front porch and no railing. Sigh. Now that snow has melted I can use her back entrance, which is manageable.

Signs of progress are small but there. I hadn't used my back steps, from yard to back porch, since last December because of lingering iciness around the base of the steps. But with warmer weather, all is clear. In December, these were my "challenge steps"--I haven't measured the rise but it feels like it's probably 7 inches, maybe 8. I used them to try to build up strength for higher step ups--but I had to hold on to both railings and was using my arms a bit. The other day I tried them out and was delighted at how much easier they were--still held on to one railing but it was more for balance. Now my challenge stairs are the basement stairs, which do still require holding on to both railings.

I do my PT exercises sort of, kind of. I've abandoned the lunges--didn't feel like they were doing much for me. But I've kept up w wall squats and sit-stands and step ups. I'll see the PT next week for the first time in a while.

Sunny here today and the garden is calling to me, although there's not a lot to do just yet.
 
Great update Lynn! Glad to hear that you are doing so well (and the the weather is starting to cooperate). Spring gardening sounds like a great activity!
 
Wonderful report! I’m so glad to hear you’re doing so well, Lynn. Steps are a great way to measure progress, aren’t they? I remember you saying you liked to use your back steps to build up your leg muscles, but that winter put an end to that. Now you can get back on your program. :) And do try extending your walks. I find that longer walks are great for the legs and also for cardio. Stamina is a wonderful thing.
 
Stamina is a wonderful thing.
Yes! And it suffers from immobility. My mile loop includes some up and down--nothing steep but enough to get my blood pumping. And I'm building up speed a bit on the flat stretches (except for those days when I just want to stroll). Also, the first time I did the stairs at work, I was exhausted by 2 flights and it now feels a bit easier--not running up them but...not crawling either! So, slowly, slowly.
 
I recently had one of those "in the shower" revelations--my general feeling of being REALLY out of shape stems from more than just the ops--as if 3 major ops in 10 months isn't enough--but also from the months prior to the first op (THR) when I couldn't do more than basic life care--certainly no exercise. In fact, my ability to get good aerobic exercise, such as walking a brisk 2 to 3 miles with hills involved, has gradually diminished since my right knee first flared up in August, 2010. I did get back to walking after that flare up but not as far or fast and the distance got to be less and less as the years went by and knees and hip wore out and then in summer of 2016, the hip got really bad and that was it for exercise.

I briefly got back to doing some mild exercise in the winter of 2017 but the right knee got really bad and I was sidelined again for several months before my June op and the rest of the time has been recovery.

Having that realization calmed me down and let me know I just need to keep going, slow and steady.

Added after I wrote this post: I just looked back through my posts and noticed that I first had this revelation back in October, when I was newly recovering from the August op. Why, oh why, can't I hold on to these reassuring revelations??? I think I need to write something on a sticky note and post it on the bathroom mirror!
 
Last edited:
Why, oh why, can't I hold on to these reassuring revelations??? I think I need to write something on a sticky note and post it on the bathroom mirror!

This happens to me also. I have been journaling on my laptop for over three years. Fun to go back and read what I wrote for the day last year, year before and year before that. Can't believe how repetitive some of the stuff is. Life's lessons keep on coming. And then there's the material that discusses an alleged "crisis", and I can't even remember the events that I wrote about in the journal. Human nature is so funny . . . . Don't beat yourself up @gertie - we have to keep doing this stuff until we are done. And the rest of us can learn something from your posts, all of our posts actually. Happy Saturday!
 
And happy Saturday to you @mlwreader I know what you mean about journals--mine can be boringly repetitive! Glad my posts on here are helpful--not a lot happening but that's probably the good news!
 
fantastic update @gertie ~ "slow and steady" wins the race; so true. i think a lot of us experience that slowing down of exercise and movement when our joints are wearing out and causing pain ~ all the more reason to have the surgery sooner than later. you've had 3 major surgeries within a year ~ now you can enjoy doing activities you had to put on hold. i love the beautiful flower display in your profile pic.:flwrysmile:
 
I think a mile when you’re under a year post op is great, especially after working!
 
It feels good to get moving again doesn’t it? Just work up slowly and your knees shouldn’t bother you too much, that’s been my experience.
 
That’s been my experience too. I built up my walking distance slowly. Even now I walk 3 miles one day and might walk only 1 mile the next. Gradually building up legs and stamina. Feels really good when the knees are happy with their exercise!
 
Yesterday was 10 months for my June knee and 8.5 months for the August knee. Overall, things are going just fine. We finally had a beautiful day here--coolish and breezy but full bright sun. Just met a friend for a trip to a greenhouse and then a stop at a cafe for iced lattes, sitting at an outside table soaking up rays. The patio was crowded so one of us needed to sit at the available table while the other went inside to get the drinks. Pre-surgery, I would have been the sitter, but today I didn't hesitate to volunteer to go stand in the longish line and bring the drinks out. Small things but I notice them because they're such a pleasant change.

I've been doing housework today and a little bit of garden clean up. Lots of squatting and semi-squatting to empty the dishwasher, fill the washer, clip dead foliage--I do feel it later but I can do it!

I'm still aware of the knees, still getting some soft tissue stiffness and soreness on an active day, still find it easy to overdo, haven't yet rebuilt strength and stamina as much as I'd like BUT it's all a vast improvement over the pre-replacement months.
 
Sounds great, you’re coming along just fine!
 
How wonderful for you to be getting back to your normal life! Things sounds like they are going really well for you! Yay and hurray!
 
fantastic update gertie. you have really progressed and it only gets better. very happy for you.:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom