TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Puffin! Sounds like you have been on quite the recovery road with lots of hills and valleys. I wish for you good smooth straight road ahead and speedy healing. Sending you lots of healing ((hugs)). We June Bugs 2013 have to stick together and encourage one another!:console2: Joan
 
Puffin, so good to hear that you are making progress, albeit slow. You have been in my thoughts. Keep us posted when you can. Really good to hear from you again and knowing you are OK and getting care. Lee
 
Thanks for the kind words people :friends: it makes a big difference

One of the downer parts of my OS visit was that he is declaring my nerve damage in my foot following the knee dislocation to be permanent after 3½ years so the nerve pain and "boiling water" sensation is a permanent feature

The good news is that our weird weather seems to be giving us an early spring around 2 months earlier than normal. I am wondering if I should buy a bike to help with my rehab but because of my stability issues I am thinking of an adult tricycle :giggle:- has anyone ridden one?
:bicycle1:
 
Sorry to hear the update on the nerve pain. :(
 
Have they given you any medications for the nerve pain. I have a friend who takes Neurontin and someone else takes Lyrica and they say it helps.

You have an early spring and we are having continued frigid weather. The weather has been really strange and it will be interesting and scary if this continues.

I have not ridden an adult tricycle but there are some cool ones out there and even some more sporty and fast once you have more strength. My bike is a crank forward technology which is still 2 wheels but it is made to work so you can touch the ground when on it if you stop pedaling. My sense of balance is not the best - not because of my knees but just is and also I hate the idea of falling especially now. I have always said that if I cannot ride my bike I will get a trike since it is fun to ride. I do have a recumbent exercise bike at home that I have been using to get back in some sort of shape (way too much weight gain). Let us know what you decide to get and how it works for you.
 
:SUNsmile:Hi Puffin wishing things would get easier for you. This is such a long process and hard when things are making it hard for you and your knee. I think that by the time we actually get to the point when we get a replacement so much damage before that point and so much harder to get it all working properly. Hoping you feel better you deserve it for sure and with the nice weather on its way in the months to come would be nice if you could enjoy warm weather walking with no more complications. Wishing you the best and nice to hear from you . Holly:)
 
@puffin
Good to hear from you puffin; sorry though that you are having problems. :sad:

Is there anyone who can assist with the nerve issue? Seems like a nerve specialist would be more appropriate than a surgeon; perhaps they could at least help with the boiling water sensation.

I haven't ridden an adult tricycle but those I've seen looked rather fun!
 
Puffin.... if you are going to drive a trike at least make it a rickshaw and make a little cash on the side. :whistle:
Unfortunately some of the side effects/ complications of this surgery really suck! I guess some of them we do have to live with but that does not mean we have to like them.... kinda like my sister-in-law... Ooops did I say that out loud?!?!?!:no-fin:
Kidding aside.... It is good to hear you are progressing albeit slowly...:hairpulling: Good to hear your weather is changing.... that will keep your spirits up.
Take care and I will check in soon.
 
Good Morning Puffin,
Sorry to hear about your nerve pain :groan:I had the same thing happen 2 x's, only
Mine was ice water running down my leg :shocked:Once before surgery & once after replacement.
The first time I was doing dishes & thought some water dripped down my leg, but there
Was nothing there:shrug:There are plenty of nerve pain meds. Out there, possibly your Doctor
Could suggest something.
I have never heard of an adult tricycle, Sorry I can't help there.
Nerves are always connecting, I :angel:You find some relief, & get better soon
Thinking of you always:console2:
Take Care,
Diana:SUNsmile: "JUNE SUNBEAMS"......:SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
I looked up the adult tricycle . Some of very high priced so e about 200. Not bad . I think they look pretty neat too . Seriously thinking of checking into getting one . Thanks for the idea.
 
Hi@Puffin Just thought I would check in with you and see how you are doing. Hope you are ok. Have you found an adult tricycle. I have seen a few people riding these over the past few years what a great idea. Hope your knee is not giving you any problems. Is your weather nice. We have very little snow left just ice. My husband has been shovelling our patio area and trying to take some away from our garden still quite bit of hard thick ice but sidewalks and roads clear can see lots of grass. Started to go for our walks again the pathway in our park is clear lots of geese a few ducks and more seagulls. It has been nice lately lots more sun and sitting on a bench in the park where it is shining almost gets too hot feels great on your face. Each day trying to go a little further today to the bridge which is an accomplishment. My husband keeps a hold on me and we walk together. So much ice this winter worried about falling so not very active need to get my leg stronger feels so much better. Hope you are well and hope that things are sorting out and you are feeling more comfortable Wishing you the best. Holly
 
Puffin, sorry to hear about the nerve pain---that sounds like a problem that a neurologist might be able to help with. I have ridden adult tricycles---I am a bike freak, as you know. It was fun, I have ridden two types. The regular bike is a little heavy, but if you live where it is flat, would not be a problem. Most of them have a basket in the back, which is nice for errands. You do not have to balance the bike--it is easy to get on and off.

The recumbent adult trike is a little easier to propel, but it is so low to the ground, that I was a little afraid of being run over!! I finally got a flag for the back. It was easier to ride, and easy to get off, but you had to push yourself up.

I think the regular bike would work better for you right now. I think you live in Sweden? which is pretty flat. the worst think about both bikes is that they are bulky and so it is hard to put one in the car and go for a ride somewhere else. not impossible, but you need a bigger vechicle.
 
@puffin
I have been thinking of you lately:friends:I hope your pain has subsided & you are feeling
Better:)
Diana...."JUNE SUNBEAMS" :SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Well I did buy the bike! This is the model I bought it is a "low mounter" so I don't have to lift my leg too high to get on it
[Bonesmart.org] Puffin is soaring into the sky

I have been out on it a few times - it is great PT but is taking some getting used to as I pedal harder with the "good" leg than the bad! Also my knee is at full bend. The last couple of weeks I haven't been able to go out at all as I had an unfortunate problem caused by a new swim-suit that caused blisters "down there" and made sitting on a bike ipossible :yikes:

Hopefully I will soon get the technique of riding it as three wheels are very different to 2 - the first time I went out on it I almost crashed as I pulled to the side of the road to avoid a huge logging lorry and ended up on a gully caused by damaged road and heading for the ditch :bicycle2::shocked:
 
I am still not walking unaided as I still have the balance problem and me knee sometimes buckles without warning under me. The positive news is that I have built up my stamina walking with the walker and have started doing short distances with Nordic poles.

But the problems is that the fine movement is still not there
- I still cannot drive as I cannot rely on lifting my leg
- an hour of trying to bake can still cause a pain sweat

I met with my PT last week and she recommended further quad training - however I noticed that both the PT and OS are starting to talk about residual disability :cry:They seem to think that that loss of sensation in my foot is a permanent consequence of the knee dislocation. However the PT also thought that further quad training might help

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve balance and increase my ability to walk independently? @Josephine @skigirl @Orthodoc ? Will PT help?
 
Hi @puffin I really like your bike it would certainly help with the fear of loosing balance. I am happy to hear that things are going better for you and sorry to hear about your foot. I have been trying to walk more as my diabetis has worsened since surgery. Without being to get out as much the excersize of walking slowed down not feeling safe on ice. Going to have a visit to discuss insulin. so trying to move more again. I am happy that you have full bend in your leg would make riding your bike maybe easier but understand how you feel when you are baking and get tired standing I have the same problem and end up sitting down. Everything I do makes me tired my left knee is getting quite sore and more creaky so now almost happy when walks are over. One advantage to waling in our park is that there are a lot of benches so go for a distance and sit for a little bit then go again .Trying to go a little further each day but looking forward to having my second knee done as it is acting more like the first( my right knee ) did just do not want to have the period of slowing down again not good for my diabetis. It is so good to hear from you and hope that you can get used to the new bike you have and get in some enjoyable riding. Wishing you the best Puffin and know how difficult the getting it all together again can be. You are doing great Holly
 
@puffin
The bathing suit episode sounds :yikes: & riding would surely make it very painful.
Your bike is Awesome & I'm sure it is good exercise. Try & stay out of the ditches:bicycle2:
Your stamina is up, so that is good news, I am sorry your knee is still bothering you.
I don't know the disability laws in Sweden ( I'm sure most don't :heehee:) here you have to get all your
Records from doctors, then they decide. It takes quite a while, so you have to apply early.
It might be worth it to receive a check if you could not return to work.
I hope Josephine can give you some direction on the P.T:)
As Always, you are in my prayers :console2:
Take Care,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
I had a personal trainer come to my home for a few months a couple of years ago. She started off by doing exercises with me whilst sitting, just stepping feet from side to side and back and forth. Then in week 3 or so, using light weights and a small ball. We did that for several weeks and then she added in standing up things like gentle squats whilst holding on to something (ironically my exercise bike!) and after about 3 months of this, I was noticing I could walk around the garden and do things in the veggie plot (uneven and soft ground) with considerable confidence! I really must get her back again!

btw, she does most of her work in old people's homes so I fitted right in! :rotfl:
 
Puffin, Josephine is right, the pt can help with balance issues. The reason your quad gives way is that it is weak and needs a little more work to regain some muscle tone. If you sit with your leg slightly bent in front of you on the bed, you can contract your quad muscle --you will see it move--and then hold the contraction for 10 seconds. You can do 10 or 12 of these several times a day. boring? yes---but it does help the quad regain its muscle tone.

It seems a little early for them to talk of permanent disability---yet you had a traumatic injury and that year of waiting did not help much, I am sure. But, it is time to put on your thinking cap and make your life more fun. We keep a tall stool in the kitchen (which we purchased at IKEA!!) Bob leans his butt on that and it takes some of the pressure off his legs while he is in the kitchen. So, instead of standing for an hour while baking--move around. Sit for a while, stand, hover your butt over the stool!! Find ways to do things that you love---a stool helps, perhaps a single step stool to put your knee on to relieve some of the pressure while standing?

I love your bike!! It looks like fun too. And, it is wonderful to be out and about again, I am sure. Here in the states, we have long, lightweight bicycle poles that attach to the back of the bike and they have an orange flag on top. They work well to warn lorries that you are on the road too!!

I think that some simple balance exercises---will help you a lot. Yes to pt and be specific with the pt---wrtite down the things you cannot do right now and then ask him/her to help you find a way to do them. Walking on uneven ground is always tricky when your legs are stiff. My husband uses Nordic walking poles most of the time--they take as much as 40% of the pressure off your knees, so they are a good thing. Plus they will fold up and fit in your bike basket. bob uses a yoga mat bag to hold his. You have come so far---life is just ahead, don't give up now!!

Your bathing suit story was horrible!!! I warned Jo about capsaipian cream---I used it on my knee and did not wash my hands afterwards. I went to the bathroom and discovered that hot peppers on my hoo ha were not my idea of fun!! I had to scramble fast into the shower!!!!
 
@puffin
I'm so happy Josephine & ski girl said P.T would help you :happydance:You've come so far.....
Life is waiting for you to enjoy :) Ski girl gave you some excellent advise on things you can do
Everyday to make you more comfortable.
This forum is amazing, so helpful......
Take Care, Puffin, we are all pulling for you :friends:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom