Guest viewing is limited

TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Puffin
What a great way to start the new year:dancy::happydance::yay: Miracles do happen, So proud of you:friends:
Have you started out patient therapy yet ?
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @new knee in June - I am back in the pool twice a week now and started last Friday and go again on Wednesday (everything is closed for the Epiphany holiday today)

The PT also recommended walking to take more weight on the leg and strengthen muscles - but this may be rather weather dependent as the snow you have had in the USA is hitting us on Thursday/Friday with snow and daytime temperatures of minus 14C/6F forcast:snow dig: -so mot sure it will be safe to walk in a few days
 
My poor husband is starting to find out what the last 3+ years have been like as he trundles along with the walker just in case as I'm not 100% confident yet :loll:I tripped on a branch and luckily avoided falling but sat on the walker seat to regain composure

Husband complained at one point I was going too fast as "he had the heavy walker":rofsign::yes!:
 
Dear @puffin
Hello, How are you ? Good I hope:) Is your knee feeling better since you have been walking
On it ? Therapy & the pool are very important for strengthening the thigh muscle.
I hope that "miracle" is coming true for you.....You've waited so long:angel:You deserve to see
Progress:happydance:
Thinking of you:friends:
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Diana and kneeper - thanks for your posts. I have been overdoing it recently although my recovery times are improving so that is good - my mission is to strengthen the very weak muscles to regain some independence for walking and driving
- Friday 2 hours aqua therapy in warm water pool
- Saturday - 1 hour 20 mins walking in the snow with walker (still too nervous to walk on snow without support)
- Sunday 30 mins walking in deep snow in freezing conditions (-17C + whatever windchill)
- today 1 hour 20 mins aqua therapy

Hope my bonesmartie friends are doing OK
 
I have awarded myself a kneecation today as my shin is very swollen :cry: Perhaps on the edge of the ODIC

Anyway the weather is very :snow dig: and I don't fancy attempting the sheet ice outside my house alone
 
WOW, you are doing a lot. I think you might be into ODIC if your shin is hurting. I know you want to get free and independent but continue to listen to the knee and be kind to yourself. You are amazing
 
Hi @puffin It is really nice that you are having an easier time. Must feel nice to get back into the pool and outside. Just be careful you don't slip the ice is so heavy here and yesterday it was nice to see the sun melted some most roads are clear now. Hope you just keep feeling better and better. Looking forward to the nice weather no coat and back to having our park walks. Have a wonderful week Holly:friends:
 
Dear @puffin
Oh, My walking in snow & ice:no-fin: Please don't take any chances of falling. Ice scares me
To death:yikes: I think with your aqua therapy & walking in the house you will do just fine:)
Save the outside walking for in the Spring:puppysmooze:
Thinking of you:friends:& hoping you get stronger everyday:SUNsmile:
Love,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Just a quick hi and I hope all is going well for you and progressing. Stay warm.
 
Hi guys - a quick update as I have not been here for a while - my laptop is broken and gone for repair so it is harder for me to post - not easy to get online with 2 teenage daughters doing exams and essays at the moment

My recovery is still up and down - just when things started to improve last week I had a major setback as my knee swelled up and I could not put any weight on it - even the 8 steps to the toilet were really difficult so it meant almost a week with ice-packs and raised leg to try and reduce swelling ..... :boohoo:

It seems like my knee is so sensitive to even small increases in activity - even though my activity levels remain very low for someone 8 months out of surgery

I have been given and "urgent" OS appointment but it's not until February 20th so quite a wait - it seems to be improving slightly but given this is the second time I have suffered this dramatic pain and swelling since Christmas I need to get to the bottom of this. Additionally one point of the adhesions has re-attached and is causing pain again

@Josephine - can you think of what might be causing the extreme pain and swelling that I am suffering? . it covers the underside and outer side of my left knee at the point of the joint - the knee also makes a strange and painful crunching sound as I walk. When I first suffered this directly after TKR the OS said it was probably weak muscles combined with the lack of ligaments causing the problem - but 8 months out I am wondering if something else is going on
 
Best I can do is ask you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Puffin is soaring into the sky


[Bonesmart.org] Puffin is soaring into the sky
 
The severe pain and swelling is in LF4 D BUT LF4C usually swells as well
 
So this is the post, yes?

[Bonesmart.org] Puffin is soaring into the sky


I would surmise that this is most likely a lower ITB (ilio-tibial band) issue issue which is very common after TKR. Ligaments can produce creaky sounds and sensations when inflamed. The best treatment is chiropractic or 'do it yourself' Acupressure massage

This is actually quite common after TKR - I get it often myself, even after 5 years, especially when driving in heavy traffic with the constant 'start, go slowly, stop' kind of driving. I get some relief by doing the acupressure massage but the problem is actually all the way up my thigh as far as the hip and my chiropractor deals with that for me extremely well. However, it's just a constant companion now, occasionally rising above my radar when it can be very discomforting and at times, agonising.

Try my suggestions and see if they help at all.
 
@puffin
Hi Puffin,
Sorry to hear about the pain in your knee. Have you tried what Josephine has suggested ?
I've been thinking of you:friends:I'll say a :angel:For you also, for no more pain.
Please keep us up-dated for your appointment Feb. 20. We care about you:console2:
Love,
Diana:snow dig:
 
Thanks you all for all of your comments and advice - the IT band exercises (the ones I can do) are already a part of my water programme

However I saw the OS and because of the very specific location of the pain centre he diagnosed synovitis so I have had a combined local anaesthetic and steroid injection at this spot- it has made a big difference to my mobility by really reducing the pain as I get up from sitting for the first time in 3½ years

I am still frustrated with the slow progress towards walking unaided and the bone marrow pain 9 months out but slow progress is still being made and the OS is saying 1-2 years for initial recovery. The Tramadol also makes me very groggy but I can't do without it although I am down to 50-100mg/day

The OS had a med student with him last week and mentioned that it was surprising that the surgery was even sucessful as "when we got into the knee there was nothing left in one piece"
 
Hello Puffin,
I missed you :friends:So happy to hear from you. I am sorry your knee is still
Giving you grief :sorry: At least you have a diagnosis & a treatment plan :) That
Seems to be working.
It sounds like your knee was in pretty bad shape to begin with, so it goes to reason
It will take a little longer to heal.
I will say a :angel: For you,
Thinking of you always :console2:
Diana
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom