THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@frieds I had anterior. The incision is under the bandage still. From looking at the bandage I think the incision is about 4 inches or so. You will do great. And you will be so relieved to have this behind you. I am going a little slow because of blood issue. I am sure once that is resolved I will be doing great. Waiting to see what my results were from this morning. One thing is there is no rest here.. Hospitals are the worst places to sleep I think I got about an hour at a time last night.. Total about 4 or 5 hours.. So rest up before!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey Jen, welcome to Day 1 of recovery. I am sure you will begin feeling more "normal" once the IVs and drains are removed. Just take it easy and focus on what you need TODAY. One day at a time. I actually took a BS friends advice and brought earplugs to the hospital. Helped a little, but still was a terrible nights sleep with all the interruptions and noise. You will be home in your own bed soon. Hope your day is peaceful. Ice, ice ice.
❤️Hugs, jackie
 
Follow dr s instructions to the letter. This is the trick. Walk with pt as much as you can and on your own once stuff out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@psychteach Yes, experienced those same worries, but when it came right down to it - getting up the first time - I was so stuck and uncoordinated, and my incision so painful trying to get up that when I finally stood, I wasn't even thinking about the hip. In fact, it was one of the only things not hurting at that point :) Don't let that psyche you out - it honestly doesn't "feel" like anything, it can't. What you "feel" are the muscles, tendons and skin you've had all your life - they're still there and they're all demanding to know what the he!! just happened. :)
It might be a bit rough at first, but the PTs know their stuff and they'll help you. Just go slow and easy and you'll be fine!


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach Being apprehensive is so normal..I felt same way when they first got me up....I said "you sure it wont collapse?" they were like of course not Sue....rolling eyes......Slow and steady was my motto...and I think that helped me so much....I asked always to get out of bed on the side i will be getting out on at home to help me when i got home. and .It ended up it was easier and less painful to get out on operating side. Will take few days but then you will see how everything comes together :).....On the bathroom issue..They pulled my catheter out at 5:30 in morning why so early who knows, and doesn't hurt :)..but like by 7 they put a portable potty beside bed, but it is very difficult to pee your first time after catheter when u have 3 people in room on other side curtain. I said i need to us bathroom and i ran water (hahahaha) and went....So happy your done and now concentrate on one day at a time..You will be at the beach in no time my friend :)....hugs...Sue
 
@Sue629 LOL! Same for me - taking catheter out didn't hurt at all. Even putting back in (temporarily) that night didn't hurt. That was after the wretched bedpan experience where I felt like you did . . . three other ppl in the room . . . trying to pee "in bed" . . . eek!


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach , since we were in the same place, same doc, I know the routine... Go in the bathroom, shut the door and you will be fine. Let them wait outside the door. Use your walker. The more you are upright, the better you will feel..for me that was the case. I am so happy you are on this side!!! Congrats my dear friend!:loll:
 
@psychteach so glad to hear you are on the other side and outside if the glitches, doing well! Hopefully all is true and the worry and anxiety before the surgery will be the worst part. I will be watching your recovery thread and saying prayers for you! I am just a week from starting my own recovery thread! Remember recovery is the start of letting your new life begin!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@psychteach so glad your BP is up; you'll be feeling better soon. Fluids are a necessary evil; you need them, but then you feel puffy and have to pee them all out of your system. Once you start moving around more, the fluids will go, but get used to the bathroom! I felt like I was constantly calling for a bathroom escort. When I first got out of bed I felt like my brain had to " tell" all my body parts what to do, and my brain felt so fuzzy! Things will get better by the hour, and we're here when you need us! :flwrysmile:
 
:welome:to recovery…..so happy you are on the other side:wowspring:Honestly you will see and feel improvements every hour……its completely normal to be apprehensive…just remember slow and steady…..ice…and plenty of rest……well done….:yes!:
 
So I ended up having a blood transfusion. My hemoglobin dropped to 6.1 this morning. I had one bag of blood am about to get second. PT is on hold till this afternoon. I am a little over 100 pound and I guess blood loss is more of an issue for me. It was my dreaded fear and I have dealt with it. I am feeling a little frustrated with the set backs...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach Sounds like things are going pretty "normal". You are such a small person to have this operation. I'm not surprised by the low BP and needing blood. I have had high blood pressure over the last year and am on medication, but after both my surgeries my BP got pretty low and I never took any medication for it in the hospital. It is a side affect of the anesthesia I believe. This last surgery I also had to have 2 units of blood. I really didn't feel any different, but they said I needed it. Oh well! The potty thing is the worst! The first time around I had the hardest time going after the catheter came out. I had to sit in the bathroom for like 30 mins! LOL. But this last time around I had no trouble. No way I could use the bedside commode. I shuffled my way into the bathroom with some assistance and they shut the door and left me there. I then pulled the "help" cord after I was finished. You'll do just fine. Oh, and even though my hospital would shut my room door, the interruptions to check BP and give me meds were so annoying! And then the lab would wake me up about 5am to take blood. Ugh!
 
Hang in there Jen @psychteach! I know it's frustrating with the hiccups, but I'm sure you will feel a lot better after getting blood. On the moving around, I felt the same way at first, but after a few bathroom trips, I started to forget about it as I shifted my focus on being able to walk without getting dizzy (errgh! that was a big thing for me immediately post op!). Anyway, you sound like you are doing great - keep your chin up, rest & ice and know we're all here for you :SUNsmile:
 
@psychteach you sound like you are doing great even with the set backs. Keep up the fantastic work and let us know how you are doing.
 
So happy you've joined us over here on the other side! :welome:
The fracture was not in the plan, but sometimes %$#! happens. I think everyone is probably a little apprehensive at first walking with their new hip - but you did it!!! :yay: Good for you!
I know exactly what you're talking about with the dizziness, low blood count and low pressure - and then the resulting transfusion - as you know the same darn thing happened to me. But it's all over now and you will be just fine! I knew you would be! Congratulations and hugs!!!! :loveshwr:
 
So I finished second bag of blood and my color came back. BP back to 117/67 ( normal for me) and oxygen say 100%. I got to walk the hall with PT and now am sitting in recliner. Have to relearn to walk. Feet too close together, still not bending knee. Concentrate on heel first. I feel some noise in there I am assuming this is normal.. Still swelling and such . I hope to go home tomorrow.. Just on tramadol and toradol every six hours. Pain is mild.. Only when walking and stiff.. Hippies have similar experiences with noises, stiffness etc?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't have any noise issues, but stiffness, yes! That is perfectly normal. My surgery was 2 weeks and a day ago and I still have some swelling and stiffness, especially in my quadriceps. The visiting home nurse said this is nothing to be concerned about, and it's normal for your operated leg to have some swelling and stiffness - even for several months after surgery. So no worries. Glad to hear you're doing better!
 
@psychteach Yes, absolutely to the stiffness - which I attribute mostly to tight muscles. For a long time my pelvis was locked in a sort of twist, and I was walking with my right foot turned out, so that muscle in the groin area, and the opposite one to the outside seem almost not to be the proper lengths. Don't know if that makes sense. You said you "feel noise" and I think I know what you mean. I don't hear anything from my new hip, but it's almost a stiff or heavy sensation, like it needs to get worn in - like a new pair of shoes. It doesn't hurt - it's just different. I've wondered if it was my imagination, but maybe not since you described what I'm sensing. So, yeah, I guess that means it's normal. :)


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach Did you meet with case manager yet? If not ask for this ASAP so your home health can be set up. I had surgery on a Tuesday and started home therapy on Friday. I remember the first week was hard to lift my operated leg. I had to "assist" it. The walking felt great to me, just tiring and then my back started to feel strange from standing up straight, again the PT helped. So today is 5 weeks for me exactly...it's funny how I feel like the bone on bone was a crazy dream.

Wishing you every minute that passes an additional jump in healing and good health!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom