Guest viewing is limited

THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is terrible. Glad you are better as this will help deal with all the other stuff. Really rough..
 
I am so sorry to hear about your loss - that is horrible!! We had something like that 15 months ago with one of our friends sons - killed walking a block away from his house coming home from work from his summer job. Senseless!

As for the incision - mine does feel irritated too when something rubs it. Still under bandage so I guess that is normal. Today is one week - about this exact time I was in recovery. Tired of not being normal and able to do all that I want, but overall in good shape. Keep up the great work - you're an inspiration!

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So sorry to hear about the tragic loss of someone so young - that is SO hard on young people because they just don't operate on that wavelength. My son, at 26, lost his girlfriend two years ago to a heroin OD. Devastating.

Glad to hear you're coming along nicely. My incision/scar feels that way as well. My staples came out a little over a week ago and I've been feeling a bit insecure about it ever since. I wasn't expecting it to look sort of "open" and scabbed, so it freaked me out. PT checked it for me yesterday and said it looks good - said it would continue to heal over time and will smooth out. :)
 
Wow don't know what to say except I'm really sorry that all happened..... Pretty crazy to have something like that happen practically in the family. I mean that's the stuff you read about in the news but never really expect it to happen within your family or friend group.

Concentrate on your family for sure but try not to neglect your recovery either. I'm sure your energy will be important as the family goes through this.
 
Thanks for all your nice comments. So an update.. Another woman was found dead this morning 3 blocks away from his girlfriend 's murder the night before . They think there is a connection.. Both women had their cell phone taken during murder.. The boys are shaken up.. Realizing the fragility of life at 21 is really scary. The world is pretty screwy lately.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Here's to you living a long way from there. At least I hope anyway. So scary. Can you post a link to any news reports?
 
Aw, so sorry for you & the boys to have to endure what most of us only read about, as @M1ke said. Luckily, if this had to happen, you are in far better condition now than you would have been pre-op & therefore much more capable of dealing with it. The world IS screwy... and this is just tragic.
 
So sorry your son has to go through something so tragic so young. You are right the world is a scary place……glad you are feeling well and able to help him through this. Don't forget to rest during this stressful time…..:flwrysmile:
 
Hey thank you all again for your kind wishes. It is one of those things that you do not know what to say to give a couple of 21 year olds hope as a mom. They see so much today and life looks so cruel . There is no explanation for a young girl , doing everything right to lose her life that way along with all the potential of the future. I always say, it is somehow being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unlucky to have crossed the path of a crazy. @ m1ke ..There is picture and article about her on the front page here is a link :

broken link removed: https://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/1097/

There does not seem to be a link between the murder that happened the next day and since she was living in a gated community with a guard, nothing stolen from her place, I am wondering if it was someone who was in her development watching her.

Well my hip is great! I feel good physically .Moving easily now.. Such a difference.. Almost forgetting it is there.. Still using cane as leg feels weaker than non op one.. But I walk away and leave it sometimes:) I need to stay on cane for a little bit to be sure I do not develop bad habits .. My legs are completely even now and it feels natural to walk .. So nice:) hope all of you are doing awesome too.. Looking forward to heels and the beach!!! Yeah!!!!



LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
That is a senseless tragedy!!!
But I am very glad to hear about your recovery progress. Keep it up.
 
Wow! So sorry to hear of this awful tragedy! Would be hard to handle at any age!

Glad you're doing better though! I'm still using a walker but I had a posterior surgery done so it takes a bit longer to recover. I am hoping to transition to a cane soon!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cami1515 I have kept on your posts and you seem to be doing great. I have realized you must do things by your own bodies rate in terms of milestones. I am on cane, since Saturday but am already worried about when I will be able to walk without it!!! It is a process and we all need to let our body be the guide:)





LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Day 18
I really took the day off yesterday. Not only dealing with family stuff but I got my period ( ladies can relate:)I have heavy ones and I was a little concerned with this being the first one . It is only a little over 2 weeks ago that I lost all that blood in surgery . Now knowing I am still low on the blood end and that being small seems to affect that more than others, I wanted to be careful. I did feel light headed and looked a little pale yesterday. It was the my heaviest day. I ate iron rich foods, relaxed , no bike riding and I seem to feel like I crossed that hump today. Boy nature does not give us ladies a break! Last night my panic was that I will never get off the cane. Mind you, I just started cane Saturday and I am on day 18...But I still feel weakness in muscles in the op leg and although I can walk short distances without it now,I see a little limp when I do. Not when I am in cane though . I am not ready. So people, does that weakness go away..? I am doing PT and starting out patient PT Monday. I did not use so many muscles preop in that leg to avoid the hip pain , it is bound to need some wake up time to strengthen I guess. Otherwise this recovery is going awesome. I feel blessed and grateful to my strong healing body:)



LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you have to go through family and "ladies" stuff on top of trying to heal from your op. My op was on May 12 and I am still using a cane for safety purposes and also using the walker when the other hip flares up. It does feel better day by day. I did some pre-op PT which was painful but I am sure it has helped my post-op recovery. Hang in there!
 
@psychteach I can relate to operated leg weakness. After an evaluation pt applied heat to back and hip along with electro stimulation. they added a handful of new exercises plus squats on total gym, stationary bike and an exercise where you walk a line stepping over cups with operated leg.just completed fourth session and did whole visit without cane. It's like operated leg suddenly woke up.I think you'll be suprised how soon this happens.
 
The limping is not just a habit. It is from the atrophy of the quads from years of not using them correctly. It will build and with that the limping will be gone. I was lucky and did not use cane, but when I was tired in beginning I would start to limp. That is long gone. Yours will be too!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Gosh, what a horrible tragedy to endure.
On a positive note, your recovery sounds good! Carry on, and you will get stronger every day.
 
@psychteach I am just catching up with your recovery and you are doing great. I am not even a week out and I want to be able to use my cane. I know that is a big no no with my OS so I won't push it. I will just live through you guys. I am hoping I can advance to a cane when I see the OS on the 20th of this month. I will get my staples out at that time and he will access me to see what I can and can not do. I am looking forward to the appointment. My scars are a lot bigger than yours. I believe mine are about 5 inches long. Your scar looks fantastic. I am also sorry that you had to endure such a tragedy while recovering from hip replacement. It just shows what a strong women you are. Keep at it.
 
Big milestones today: 10 minutes on stationary bike and husband taking me out for dinner tonight.. My first glass of wine now that I am done with all meds even Tylenol. (except aspirin) yeah!!!! Long week .. So needed.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom