Guest viewing is limited

THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning! (Well, it's probably night-time for you, but it's morning here!) I'm just catching up on your discussion about different approaches - interesting! I haven't had a chance to talk to my surgeon about his approach - it didn't occur to me pre-op and I won't see him again until 6.5 weeks post-op - but as far as I can gather, I've had a posterolateral: the incision is about 9 inches long and goes up the side of my thigh and onto my bottom. But I am pretty sure I haven't had any muscles cut - it certainly doesn't feel like it. And I have been able to (for example) lift my own leg onto the bed from day 1, climb a flight of stairs from day 2 with sticks and day 8 without, walk 1km by day 19... Does anyone know enough about approaches to know whether this is possible? Could surgeons be getting better at posterior approaches, so that they are able to 'lift and separate'that way too, if they're good at what they do? :)
 
Day 8 amazing difference when I woke up this morning my friends. Like I feel more normal... Not thinking about moving the hip. Doc said I could sleep on my side right away. No pillow between legs or anything. I have not done it mostly because I was nervous. But in my sleep last night it was this urge that felt natural. I have no pain. Stiffness is really less and the swelling I had seems to be almost gone! I walk so great. No limp.. Legs are so perfectly even. I slept 8 hours and no wake ups.love all the discussion on this board about running! I am for our hippie 5 K! I used to run all the time.. Miss it terribly too ...I feel hopeful and feel like I have control over my body again.. It feels so nice. I am hoping to hear from my PT as the holiday weekend held me up. But I am doing my PT exercises three times a day and I am really seeing major gains in leg strength. Mentioned that I can bend my knee upward .. Something I had been unable to do before surgery. Off tramadol completely . Just Tylenol. Off stool softners!! On the subject of methods: Anterior worked for me. It was the only way I wanted to go after doing research. I am so happy that I did it that way.But all of us are different, have different issues, different doctors who feel better about one method or another and what ever gets you to that place, even if it takes longer, works! I love and appreciate all my friends on here cheering me on. I know I would never with my fear been able to get thru this without all of you:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@FionaW I don't know. I know antetiolateral method they don't cut muscles . Scar is like 8 inches. Maybe your doctor does posterior in a way he does it. It really does make recovery so much faster healing!!!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
I feel the need to chime in about approaches, if just to comfort those who are facing posteriors. I had posterior approach 2 weeks ago, with muscles cut, 8 inch incision, dissolvable internal sutures and surgical glue. I was walking on surgery day, walked 350 yards on post op day 1 and discharged to home on post op day 2. My pain levels are controllable ( more extreme discomfort than pain) and I'm able to do much more than I thought I would at this point. I think approach has to do with surgeon's skill and patient's condition. I would not hesitate to have same approach, same surgeon with my left hip if needed.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but before surgery I was feeling like I was the only one having posterior and all I read about what how great anterior was; I don't want anyone else to feel that way.

@psychteach, I am so happy you are doing well and planning a vacation! I can't wait til I can get in my pool- that will be my vacation!
 
@PuppyLove.. Exactly what I said .. Whatever approach works best for you and doctor:) I personally wanted only anterior.. But what works for everyone is different. The results and comfort level is all that matters.. You seem to be doing awesome .. Me too .. Ready for that 5k run soon:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Me2
@psychteach Happy to read your updates today. You are doing amazing and off all narcotics. :wowspring: So happy for you! Congrats on your upcoming vacation on June 20th. That must be exciting. :loveshwr:
 
Awesome! Remember the nervous Nellie before surgery? :)

I think the excitement begins right at about where you are.... When you realize that you are already better than you were before and your only x days out.
 
@M1ke thank you.. Oh I remember!! So so glad that is history!! I am excited to feel that way.. I am hoping every day gets better.. I hope you are doing awesome.. But I know No matter what .. It has to be better than being at school right?


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
  • Agree
Reactions: VF
Hi! Reading threads pre and post are a great help to me as my surgery date approaches, June 19th. I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I know what to expect.
I researched anterior and posterior approaches, as well as having consultations with several doctors. The doctor I ultimately chose to do my LHR prefers the posterior approach, but is trained in both. I didn't choose him because of his approach, but because of his training, experience, my confidence in him, and the implant he planned to use for me.
According to my doctor, there is really no difference in the recovery time between the two approaches. During the posterior approach, he said he will not cut major muscles or tendons, instead pushing them aside, and I will have about a 5" scar.
He also said he would perform the anterior approach if it was important to me. What is most important to me is having an experienced surgeon that is up to date on the newest techniques, implants, and that I am comfortable and have faith in his abilities.
I don't think there is a right or wrong way!
Of course, I will know a lot more when I'm on the "other side"!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ notjusjen The RIGHT or better way is the way that works for you. I really am not too clear why it is important to figure out which is better. I know why I chose anterior .. It was better for me..clear and simple. No doubts in my head . But that was a personal choice .what works for anyone, their doctor and their future good health is all that matters. We all have reasons we chose one or the other and in the end if we all end up with great hips ,how or what method we use is really not even an issue:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Day 9 : feeling good. I am having some difficulty sleeping on my back. I was told my OS I have no restrictions at all and said I could sleep on my side on day 2 without a pillow or anything between my legs. It is my apprehension that has stopped me but I hate sleeping on my back so much!!!! Last night I fell asleep around 10:00 and woke up a couple of hours later and my back was hurting. I ended up out on recliner and dosed off till 7:00 this morning. It is not much better.. I am sick of sitting, laying down etc. I want to move but am being careful and doing it slowly. Last night my husband and I went outside( after dark! I am rather vain about using a walker:) and I walked down driveway around house and into the cul de sac on side if our house and back. Husband said about 600 -700 feet. Could have done more but slow and steady:) I have physical therapy today and plan for a shower and maybe some hair styling this time.. I can not look at my messy bun anymore!!!! I ordered a cane. It is supposed to arrive today. Will give it a test run but I am not rushing anything. In one of my fear stricken moments before surgery my son was joking with me and said" listen if the apocalypse comes, you will be one of the weak ones that can't run away, I have never seen my mom as one of those.. So get this done and you won't have to worry about that" lol. I am sensing that in a short time I will be able to be one of the strong ones:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Welcome @notjusjen it is great that you have joined Bonesmart.

I suggest you start a thread of your own in the proper forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, other members will pop by and this provides the opportunity for you and your questions and concerns to receive the attention they deserve.
 
Sleep on your sides. He says it's ok. I have since right after surgery. Trust his judgement.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Sleep is important to heal. If you are not hurting awesome. They suggested pillow to me for comfort and alignment mainly. You will be happy you did!


Diane Anterior
LTHR 12-17-13
 
Feel awesome. PT said I aced therapy first time. She was shocked what I could do. She said I am way ahead of her other patients and that I should be off walking aids in no time.. She said I will be doing Zumba!! The only bad thing today is I decided to blow dry my hair out and I was holding walker and hair dryer and knocked my forehead into my hair dryer hard. Have a huge lump square in the middle of my forehead. I truly look like a accident victim with my bruised forehead, walker and hip! Ughhh not used to trying to look beautiful with the use of a walker :(


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
I will bet you are ready to shed that walker. I found it too much to use. I just did not want all that stuff and really did not need it. Cane is a bit less bulky, but really you will shed that soon too. I knew it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom