THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sons and mothers seem special lifelong, too... My daughter slept in the hopital chair every night! She is now posting the avatars you see to remind me this disease has taken all that fun away from us and somehow we are gonna get it all back! Children are special...
 
Day 6 swelling is getting a little bit better. I am bored!!! But that is to be expected. Taking everything slow and easy. Most of my day I spend in my trusty recliner, icing all day .getting up every hour or so to walk around house , go to bathroom etc. I am only taking 2 tramadol a day , one in morning one before bed but I take Tylenol every 4 hours around clock. Pain is mild.. And only when walking . More a tightness and achiness. It is hard to believe it will be a week tomorrow! It certainly felt like a really long week. I am finding my exercises that I am doing 3 times a day are getting easier every day. I am able to do heel slides slowly that I could not do on day 2 or before surgery. I am drinking prune juice and I seem to be more regular. Taking all my normal vitamins I did before B12, calcium, Vit D, Vit C and raw food iron. Have my color back in my face!! Yeah!!! Question for ladies : I am wondering how the use of blood thinners affected your menstrual cycle. I have heavy periods and am nervous that they will be worse. Any notice that in cycles you were on blood thinners?. Overall I am super pleAsed with my progress. Bandage stays on till first OS appointment on June 2 . Have had no leakage and incision feels good .We are planning our first weekend away of the summer the weekend of June 20th. Excited:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@psychteach its great you are starting to plan some fun activities. Seems like all going well. It is amazing how easy the exercises get over time. Question for you what's raw food iron? I have always been anemic and have trouble absorbing iron…so I am always looking for good iron intake ideas. Sorry cannot help with the period question….I don't get them anymore…..
 
@Hdold . I have trouble with iron and when I was pregnant could not take prenatal vita as the iron made me sick. Raw food is iron supplement made out of foods high in iron. Way gentle on stomach and no constipation. The one I use is vitamin code raw iron. You can get it at Whole Foods if you have one near you. It has worked great for me


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
So happy to see your recovery going so very well!

I was okayed to go to cane on third day leaving before leaving hospital (even though physical therapist scolded me for it). When I went back for 2 week check up, Doc confirmed that was just fine and even ok to go off of cane if I felt stable enough and not limping. I did. Doing good
 
@psych -you go girl! Setting a great example!!! I'm happy for you. Any words of advice for someone going in in just 1-2 more days tomorrow is my last day and not sure if I'll sleep or not lol

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@frieds you are going to do awesome . We have been in this board together since day 1 and it helped me a lot to hear others recoveries, stories and things that went right as well as things that went wrong. I was terrified as you know. I had a whole load of things I was worried about and guess what? some if them happened and they were not that bad!!! Your doctor has done this a million times before and had a plan for everything . I did not need all the things I brought to the hospital . I stayed in gown and socks and since they were working on the drain etc it made life a lot easier. Ask for what you need. I am sometimes too nice and had trouble with that. I am doing great. I also was happy I stayed an extra day in hospital ( 2 nights) it left me stronger when I got home. I am happy with my recovery so far, but it is slow. Be prepared the first week to really just lounge around and ice all the time. Every time you can in hospital eat fruit!! Helps with constipation . I went on day 4 and then yesterday I went three times!!! Don't be scared of meds. Although I was very limited in what I felt comfortable with right after the spinal wore off I had some pain. Like a bad Charlie horse. I got one shot of morphine and a Percocet and that was the last narcotic I have taken. I am on tramadol( 2 a day ) and Tylenol round the clock. I only sleep at night .. I am not a napper ..really try to be as calm as you can and know they know to handle everything. It is over before you know it and you are working on recovery and relieved. Any questions.. Ask.. You can pm me if you need to also.. You are going to rock this:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow one week!!! Can not believe I can say that!!! I am doing great.. Slow and steady. Not much pain in walking although incision feels sore.. Guess as swelling goes down you can feel it more!! Yesterday sat out side and got some fresh air. I also got rid of my constipation completely!! Went three times!!! I am only taking two tramadol a day so I am hoping that will only improve !
Took another shower .. Lying around in my husbands boxers( nice and loose!) and looking at my legs that need to be shaved!! Badly!!! Ughhh.. I felt a little clammy during the night when I went to bathroom, think it was getting up too quickly.. And body still a little weak.. It subsided and I was fine. Started a load of laundry this morning.. My husband will stick in dryer as it it too low.. But feel like I accomplished something. Still slight swelling around knee.. Not as bad.. I am thinking that all these years of not bending my knee while walking, my knee is getting a workout.. Today's plan.. Relax .. Enjoy this Memorial Day.. And give honor to those who serve our great country:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Hi @psychteach , just to answer your menstruation question... :) I am just finishing my first period since surgery. It has been fine. I also wondered about the effect of the blood thinners, but I don't think there has been any, or not much - it certainly wasn't heavier, but it was maybe a bit longer-lasting. It was about 7-10 days later than expected, perhaps because of the general upset to my system...? I hope yours is equally easy! :)
 
@psychteach One thing I discovered after my surgery.......the hair on my legs grows really slow! I have always shaved them every day and I went three weeks after surgery and barely needed it. Now, if only the hair on my chin would quit growing! :rotfl:
Funny.. Mine seems to grow faster !! Lol. I look like I am 12 again with blond fuzz on my legs.. Sitting here staring at it does not help:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Hey, Psychteach you guys are funny reads, funny stuff you ladies have going... I wish we all could gather in one big place, and see each other, that would be cool.
I am having a discussion with someone about anterior vs. posterior. It is true that you were in the hospital 3 days, even with blood transfusions? Also, you had no staples on a 4 inch wound, correct? Do you know if they cut muscles or tendons?
 
@waterman1. I was in hospital 2 nights .. 2 days including surgery day. My OS said 50% go home next day , 50% go home in 2 days. No muscle cut with direct anterior.i have a 4 inch incision with surgical glue and steri strips. I am already off of all narcotics.. Only took tramadol and just taking Tylenol. I am so pleased with anterior. I looked for only doctors who did it .


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I stayed 4 nights with two units of blood transfused. Twenty nine staples on a seven inch wound, posterior. I am changing surgeons to get the anterior surgery thanks to those like you who are here willing to tell their story and help others, so thank you. Wow, it seems like just the other day when you were not sure if you are really doing this, now look at ya, you are gonna be fine...
 
@waterman1 . I know some people like posterior. I am a good candidate for anterior so I really thought it was a no brainer. I have a small scar , quicker recovery.. No restrictions. I am super happy with my choice and I am sure you will be;)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Psychteach,
With my second surgery, my new title will be:
Hybrid Bilateral Hippie, now you can say you know one come June 23...
 
One day in hospital anterior no blood transfusion! Happy happy !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom