THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
VF,
That's awesome!! Why isn't every surgeon required to go anterior with no muscles cut? It is the newest technology I believe now. I only started digging for data when faced with a second THR, with double the risk of dislocation and complications...
 
And the only reason I had a blood transfusion was my size 5'2 and 108 pounds.. Most likely with a 4 inch incision you may not need transfusion this time


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
New surgeon for me, but well known nationwide - Dr. Raterman has over 1,800 anterior resurfacings under his belt in Tampa...
 
Does that qualify him as experienced? How many makes them a safe bet? With one THR, I really want the resurfacing on hip 2, so I have a low risk of dislocation. Is that the best idea? Who is our best advisor on this board? Or is there any best advice?
 
@waterman1 I know nothing about resurfacing . For anterior THR they say to make sure doc is highly trained and does a ton of them. I used cleveland clinic and I hear my doc does a ton .There were 4 more after me on my day of surgery!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Yep Major, that is awesome, and everyone I talk to about anterior has great things to say. Did you get solid stem or modular implant? I am changing surgeons in the morning, just to get anterior, solid stem implant with the possibility of resurfacing (femur may be too far gone for BHR). Why isn't every surgeon going to anterior? Thanks to people like you, I am making the change, I mean why not. My posterior surgery was hard on me, muscles were cut, etc. Sorry, Psychteach for taking your thread, but you helped me make a better decision for anterior, just so you know... :)
 
Waterman my research led me to this doc along with a friends experience. In the end it all works out! Wishing you continued good health and recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@waterman1 Hi... I'm enjoying reading your posts! Just thought I'd mention something I'm sure you already know: There are different kinds of anterior approaches -- direct anterior (like @psychteach had), anterior-lateral (I had, also with no restrictions, but longer stapled incision), something called SuperPath, & maybe others. Which are you having?
 
Shrinkette, thanks and mine will be direct anterior, with no restrictions. My first surgery, posterior, has 15 weeks of 'dislocation restrictions', seems like old school stuff compared to any anterior surgery being offered. Why is posterior still being done? Who knows, right?
 
@waterman1 . I think some doctors have done it for a long time ( posterior) and it has worked for them and that is what they do. Also not everyone is a candidate for anterior. I hear if you are very overweight , other issues or very muscular men it can be difficult to use the anterior method. Is your doctor using the hana table? That is also a new awesome thing.. Mine used it. It causes less manipulation of body and thus less blood clots studies say.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Thanks Psychteach, I will ask in the morning some of these questions, hana table, superpath, etc. Have a great night...
 
@waterman1 Right, Jennifer. I was also going to say it probably has to do with what the doc is used to, comfortable with, works for him, & what he hasn't trained on extensively. Wonder if mostly older docs use posterior... Would be interesting to know.

While I was apparently a candidate for anterior-lateral, when asked, my doc said he doesn't use the hana table. I am also about 40-50 lbs overweight; whether these factors contributed to the nerve damage I came out of it with, I'll never know because that IS a risk that I never knew about (although I probably acknowledged it somewhere in all the paperwork they make you sign).

And something kind of interesting about approaches: Before I had my knee done I saw one of the foremost docs with a concierge practice in Ft. Lauderdale who does both knees & hips. At the time, my knee was the issue & I used someone else. Later, when researching hips I came across an article the aforementioned doc wrote about "Why I No Longer Do Anterior THRs" or something similar. It kind of scared me when I read it, but obviously didn't stop me & it's just his opinion. If I can figure out how, I'll send the link.

Jen, thrilled you're doing so well, but definitely not surprised. Waterman, you'll probably be a walking advertisement (no pun intended!) for direct anterior & will do great! My hip turned out fine... Still working on the damn foot, but coming along.
 
We are so lucky to have each other and to be on this side! We all did and will do great! I am never, ever going to take for granted my good health or underestimate my recovery ability. This is the lessoned I learned from this journey!
 
Hey Jen, catching up on you and so pleased to find you doing so well. One week down! Keep up the great work. I came home from hospital using the cane. Gave it up in week four! Continued success! Hugs, jackie
 
@VF I just said the same thing to my husband today.. as much as you quickly forget the deep groing pain, I'll never forget the inability to move and do things.. I won't take it for granted at all! Happy for all you newbies crossing over.. @psychteach has been a good friend and supportor for many of us along the way,.. happy to have had her and others there on my journey..we're a brother and a sisterhood of joint replacement and more warriors waiting to cross over! I think that we ought to have our own 5K's and 10K's and ... bugs me that I will never be able to run one, that was a bucket list item I was working on when my hip went south.. but I have a goal to walk a 5K, at a pretty good clip, 45 minutes, by December of this year to celebrate my 1st anniversary with my new titanium hip joint!!
 
@dkirk0530 I miss running too! It's all I can do to restrain myself on my now two mile walks. It's a whole different experience. The best part...I am walking straight and no limp..any pains I have after are well earned an muscular..not searing bone on bone. So good to be able to vent! Yes we need our own 5K!
 
@frieds what are you having ? Anterior, posterior?


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
Surgeon says minimally invasive posterior. Said anterior is slightly higher risk for blood loss and need transfusion so he focuses on posterior.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@VF yep.. up to almost three miles, but going slow. My spouse runs and I THOUGHT it would be neat for us to start running 5K's in our 50's.. daughter is a cross country runner too and runs races! I was driver, refreshment lady, etc. last three years, VERY depressing as I had total bone on bone could barely walk to the start line! I want to get some type of shirt that explains why I'm walking but it would be cool to do some type of road 5K or 10K for hip and joint replacement folks! I just know some runners tend to look down on the road walkers.. my husband wants me to do the races with him still, but at my pace! So thinking about it. It's a letting go but also gratitude that I can even walk!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom