TKR Post tkr 3 weeks out

A stationary bike is a great help even if you can't make a single rotation!

  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • If you can't make a rotation, set the saddle as high as possible and rock the pedals back and forth as far as you can with discomfort but no pain
  • If you can make full rotation:
  1. Set the saddle at a point where a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  2. Gently turn the pedals.
  3. Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat whichever exercise you can do several/many times a day
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159/page-3#post-423701
Hey Roy,
Thanks for the very precise, informative, therapy that i can use with my spinning bike. This should very helpful!..I am looking forward to getting started on it right away!
How are you doing?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How are you doing?
In terms of knee recovery, 99.9%. I don't like to kneel, although I can, it's just uncomfortable. I can't sit on my heels. Otherwise, perfect. Once bow legs now straight, once crippled now not.

My cycling is not limited by my knees. I've done 50 mile 19mph road rides, taken up track and done 2.49 in the 2k pursuit national Masters to finish 2nd (er, um, 2nd from last that is, it was won in 2.30) giving laps speed, after the first lap, of 43kph (27mph). I've yet to go back to road racing; I've started a few circuit races but yet to finish one, :censored:
 
Repeat whichever exercise you can do several/many times a day
- we should do this as many times as we can without causing additional swelling and pain, right Roy?
Well, sort of. It's true of any new activity, start slowly, build slowly. It's why I specify 2 minutes or until fluid, whichever is the shorter time.

But 'as many as you can' implies some sort of pressure, that you'll get more and more results by doing more and more, which isn't so. I will modify the wording slightly, thank you for highlighting this. To be daft about it, if you did 100 reps a day, you wouldn't get better 100 times faster.

As a complete guess I'd say that half a dozen reps of 2 minutes or less, pedalling very slowly under no resistance, would probably do every day. Definitely use swelling/pain as your guide.
 
In terms of knee recovery, 99.9%. I don't like to kneel, although I can, it's just uncomfortable. I can't sit on my heels. Otherwise, perfect. Once bow legs now straight, once crippled now not.

My cycling is not limited by my knees. I've done 50 mile 19mph road rides, taken up track and done 2.49 in the 2k pursuit national Masters to finish 2nd (er, um, 2nd from last that is, it was won in 2.30) giving laps speed, after the first lap, of 43kph (27mph). I've yet to go back to road racing; I've started a few circuit races but yet to finish one, :censored:
Wow!, that is awesome!, you should feel really good about where you are at. And what you are achieving on the bike is really quite inspiring for an ex-biker like myself who hopes to ride again like I use to. I love watching the track pursuits, I've never had the opportunity to give it a go..It would fit me quite well as I am a quick twitch guy, great at short steep hills and instant acceleration, but i really suck at pulling the group along while rotating to the front in our mini breakaways ( usually 5-6 riders). But I digress, you will be an inspiration to me as one of my biggeat fears is not being able to be strong on the bike again..thanks again, buzz
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Roy Gardiner - Oh.. I took it to mean that you meant exercises in addition to the biking. I didn't know the sentence related to the biking only! :)
 
I am only 2 days short of 3 weeks. Not in a lot of pain but still on pain meds every 6 hours. I had a total right knee replacement still seems very very weak kind of like I don't want to put it on the ground using a walker because my surgeon insisted on Walkers instead of crutches. I'm in good shape 57 years old was cutting wood and doing chores the day before surgery. I had a lot of meniscus trouble for past couple years in a lot of pain. The only time I really get out of bed is to go to the bathroom get up and eat dinner at the table at night maybe do some laps around the house with a walker like I said pain is not terrible knee is really stiff... trying to stick to the slow and sure method of not over doing anything. Haven't even started PT yet had a couple home visits those are done not in any hurry doing some exercises like heel slides at home, hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
We had our TKR almost on the same day. I'm sure you've eead and heard that its best to not compare our own recovery to that of others, because we are all different and each one of our own knee replacement surgery is different that the next oerson. So listen to the knee, I guess the knee is boss. It will let you know what it can and can't do. You are right where you need to be for your recovery, just as I am as well, we are at different stages, which is to be expected. One's not better than the other just different..keep on doing the work that you can, and so will I and we will get there when we get there:)...B
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It would fit me quite well as I am a quick twitch guy, great at short steep hills and instant acceleration,
Pursuit is actually an endurance event, not a sprint; but sprinters make excellent pursuiters because they can train for endurance and their nature is speed. It's tougher for endurance riders.
but i really suck at pulling the group along while rotating to the front in our mini breakaways ( usually 5-6 riders)
Allow me to suggest that your turns are too long. Rotation should be continuous, so that you're only actually making the pace for 10-15sec or so.
one of my biggeat fears is not being able to be strong on the bike again.
As long as you don't overdo things early on you shouldn't have a problem.
 
@Roy Gardiner - Oh.. I took it to mean that you meant exercises in addition to the biking. I didn't know the sentence related to the biking only! :)
Goodness yes, the wording does imply that. Thanks again! I'll correct it.

Although by fluke it's correct; anything that doesn't cause swelling or pain is allowed, anything that does (at the time or later) is forbidden. Simples!
 
Pursuit is actually an endurance event, not a sprint; but sprinters make excellent pursuiters because they can train for endurance and their nature is speed. It's tougher for endurance riders.
Allow me to suggest that your turns are too long. Rotation should be continuous, so that you're only actually making the pace for 10-15sec or so.
As long as you don't overdo things early on you shouldn't have a problem.
See, I know almost nothing about pursuit racing:)..yes we do have some guys that know how to rotate thru the front, but then we have bid ego guys who like to "be the man" and show how tough they are by pulling way to long, ill stay up front maybe 10 seconds at most, i like to be in a good position to sprint for the stop ahead signs that we use as our unofficial finish to our sprint points:)..i would live to one day get on a pursuit track and give it a go, but i would have much to learn I'm afraid...Right now I'd be happy just to get a rotation on my spin bike:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
we have bid ego guys who like to "be the man" and show how tough they are by pulling way to long
Every chaingang has these. They are idiots. Riding paceline is a real skill, and it's faster when done properly. You need either a proper coach or someone with knowledge and authority to bring them to heel. Rarely happens.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...ide-through-and-off--chaingang----Racesmart-0

i would live to one day get on a pursuit track
Where do you live? I have the privilege of being 6 miles from the London Olympic Velodrome, so it's easy for me.
 
Every chaingang has these. They are idiots. Riding paceline is a real skill, and it's faster when done properly. You need either a proper coach or someone with knowledge and authority to bring them to heel. Rarely happens.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...ide-through-and-off--chaingang----Racesmart-0

Where do you live? I have the privilege of being 6 miles from the London Olympic Velodrome, so it's easy for me.
Oh on occasion we get a smaller paceline with the right guys, but thats rare I'm afraid..but when we do and the wind is quartering and we have a nice 4 or 5 person paceline that understands echelons, its poetry in motion:)...unfortunately I liv e in janesville Wi. which is about 1:30 northwest of Chicago Il...dont know of any velodrome near me..guess i need to fly over the pond:)..if i knew how to attach pictures here, I'd show you the buzzman frame:)..
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171214_db18da51f42b86054ad6dd3000064a63.jpg
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171214_77c33421b8f1749d63da9f84ba4c100c.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dont know of any velodrome near me
USA has one indoor 250m track in San Diego. UK has them in London, Newport, Derby, Manchester, Liverpool and Edinburgh.
guess i need to fly over the pond
Looks like it!

Cool looking training bike & nice frame. I've known dogs take over the sofa, never a bike frame. Reclaim your furniture!!
 
USA has one indoor 250m track in San Diego. UK has them in London, Newport, Derby, Manchester, Liverpool and Edinburgh. Looks like it!

Cool looking training bike & nice frame. I've known dogs take over the sofa, never a bike frame. Reclaim your furniture!!
Lol!...good thing it is light!, under two pounds..that is an old sofa in the theatre room, my dog has dibs on it most of the time. I actually split the downtube, it being carbon fiber, i dont believe I can fix the split and maintain structural integrity. So it hangs on my wall in the biking display area. Took it down for the pic:)..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biking display area! Wow! I have (old) pix of my bikes in my driveway, best I can do... broken link removed: https://roygardiner.com/bike01.htm
 
Biking display area! Wow! I have (old) pix of my bikes in my driveway, best I can do...
I want to be clear, I'm just an average bloke who lives really good equipment that allows me to be the best thatcI can be, but im just a club ridercthat likes to go really fast:)..I do the same with my golf equipment and my downhill skiing equipment, tennis the same..ping pong also..Im sure i couldnt hold a candle to you, but i love your passion for cycling and your good heart that is willing to post advice for us newknees:).
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171214_f28d7b2428c6e8945e912bc27c579a86.jpg
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171214_f75f000c50e67a0d3fa34b9837deeaef.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be clear, I'm just an average bloke who lives really good equipment that allows me to be the best thatcI can be, but im just a club ridercthat likes to go really fast:)..I do the same with my golf equipment and my downhill skiing equipment, tennis the same..ping pong also..Im sure i couldnt hold a candle to you, but i love your passion for cycling and your good heart that is willing to post advice for us newknees:).
[Bonesmart.org] Post tkr 3 weeks out
[Bonesmart.org] Post tkr 3 weeks out


Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be clear, I'm just an average bloke who lives really good equipment that allows me to be the best thatcI can be, but im just a club ridercthat likes to go really fast:)..I do the same with my golf equipment and my downhill skiing equipment, tennis the same..ping pong also..Im sure i couldnt hold a candle to you, but i love your passion for cycling and your good heart that is willing to post advice for us newknees:).
[Bonesmart.org] Post tkr 3 weeks out
[Bonesmart.org] Post tkr 3 weeks out


Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
All aluminum full on dual suspension mountain bike.a real stump jumper..the bikes on the ground are my wifes and my road bikes..i just looked at your bikes, and wow!..what an amazing collection of bikes, beautiful..and all the campy, love it!.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah my bad, I didn't want to start a contest nor be arrogant. I apologise.
Maybe I'm just jealous:)... and you don't come off at all as arrogant, in fact i admire your knowledge and passion:)...I do have a very unique bike that I don't ride as I'm sure i would hurt myself, but it is a great antique and a conversation piece. Have you had the privilege and honor to ride any of the iconic climbs of the TDF?.a bucket list item for me:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom