TKR Post tkr 3 weeks out

Hi @Buzzman !

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
3 weeks seems to be about the usual time, although some are removed a little sooner. If left too long, the staples tend to embed themselves.

Your scar will probably be left uncovered afterwards, although some surgeons like butterfly sutures.

Just keep it clean and dry.
Don't put any ointments, lotions or creams on it, and don't pick at the scabs - let them fall off naturally. It's OK to shower - just pat the incision dry with a clean towel - but don't immerse it in the bath or a swimming or spa pool until the skin is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas.
 
I had 35 staples. Some have more and some have less, so there is no set amount, obviously. It all depends on your OS and your knee. I had mine out a little over 3 weeks and the skin had started to grow over them. It hurt all but one. And I had a few bleeders. The nurse put a long bandage on it and said to leave it on for about 24 hours.

I was allowed to shower from the get go, since I had on a waterproof bandage, but too weak to do so until about a week or so. As Celle said, no dunking in water until no scabs at all. To do so is too much of an infection risk.
 
I had 35 staples. Some have more and some have less, so there is no set amount, obviously. It all depends on your OS and your knee. I had mine out a little over 3 weeks and the skin had started to grow over them. It hurt all but one. And I had a few bleeders. The nurse put a long bandage on it and said to leave it on for about 24 hours.

I was allowed to shower from the get go, since I had on a waterproof bandage, but too weak to do so until about a week or so. As Celle said, no dunking in water until no scabs at all. To do so is too much of an infection risk.
Thanks for sharing, In my naive and hopeful way of thinking, i thought, get those suckers out, then straight away to the hot tub, but clearly that won't happen. Patience isnt my strong suit:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, we have all been there in the patience problem! It even got to be a bad word for me and I just started calling it the 'p' word! You will have to wait a few more weeks for a dip in the hot tub. It's much better to be safe than sorry!

Your knee will feel so much better once those staples are out! No more of that bad pulling from them!
 
Oh boy, we have all been there in the patience problem! It even got to be a bad word for me and I just started calling it the 'p' word! You will have to wait a few more weeks for a dip in the hot tub. It's much better to be safe than sorry!

Your knee will feel so much better once those staples are out! No more of that bad pulling from them!
I will from now on, refer to it as the P word only!:)...thanks for your advice and I will heed those words:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason (apart from the infection risk) for not getting into a hot tub until much later is that the heat will cause your knee to swell much more. That has happened to several other people.
 
Another reason (apart from the infection risk) for not getting into a hot tub until much later is that the heat will cause your knee to swell much more. That has happened to several other people.
Dang it, Yes, that makes sense..while I have managed to get my swelling down to only an inch bigger in circumference at 3 weeks, I sure don't want to go backwards at this point. In managing the swelling, I have done really well at ROM which is the gold standard for measuring recovery. I don't want to mess that up. Thank you for reminding me to be patient.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What is even better than ROM is the function you have in your new knee. ROM will continue to increase for a year or more. It's what you can do that counts!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom