Guest viewing is limited

THR Post surgery

icing every 20min when I’m not walking

While 20 minutes is sufficient for minor injuries, it's not enough to reduce swelling post-op. You should be icing at least 40-60 minutes at a time.

Also, be sure you are elevating correctly. My home health care nurse kept chanting "toes above nose!"
 
@benne68 Not really elevating it I’m in a chair and not laying flat and my pt told me not to ice longer than 20min
 
Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so, always placing fabric between your skin and the ice source. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or preventively keep pain at bay. You may find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.

It's up to you, but if your hurting, try icing for longer periods and see what you think...
@ajhines19
 
@Layla I was icing for like a hour at a time and pt told me it was too much
 
I don’t think you’re going to break anything from icing for a hour, try it and listen to your body. Maybe it doesn’t help and the PT is right, maybe it does help and the PT doesn’t know absolutely everything. Try things and figure out what works for you!

Not really elevating it I’m in a chair
Elevate, seriously. It made a big difference for me when I went from half-elevating to doing it right.
 
So, not *flat*, yeah you can’t really elevate sitting up in a dinner chair but at a couple weeks sitting up straight didn’t feel great anyway. I pretty much lived in the recliner for a months. Big fat wedge pillow under the legs, kick back and watch TV :)
 
@Layla I was icing for like a hour at a time and pt told me it was too much
As long as your skin is protected with fabric, it's fine. Many of us iced almost continuously except when doing our hourly walks or up attending to food and hygiene needs!
Your PT evidently never heard of rebound swelling from icing for short intervals.
 
I was icing for like a hour at a time and pt told me it was too much
I do understand your hesitation. We view the medical team we work with as the professionals and many of us find it difficult to follow what members of an online joint forum advise over their surgeon, your surgeons care team, or the PT. Please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you. I will add that I iced almost non-stop for the first several weeks post op and I was very pleased and thankful for the recovery I experienced.

I hope you have a peaceful Sunday!
@ajhines19
 
I was reading my X-ray after the surgery and what does postoperative soft tissue gas mean
 
X-rays are above my pay grade! Research suggests it's common in the very short term following hip replacement but I suggest you follow up with your surgical team when they're back from the weekend.
 
I’m guessing it’s nothing they took it when I got out of surgery and told me after that that everything went great
 
I suspect this notation in your surgery documentation is nothing to be worried about, but mendogal is correct that you need to ask your surgeon to explain this to you. If your appointment with him isn’t for a while, you can contact his nurse to check it out for you.
 
Did you guys wear compression socks to sleep
 
Some did, some didn't.
It's the individual surgeon's protocol, which may be his general preference or based on his weighing of each individual patient's risk.
 
@mendogal I’m wearing them 24/7 and they are making my legs itch
Oh!!! They definitely need to come off for a while every day, and also get gently washed (sink with a few drops of dish doap is easy) and air dried periodically!
Your ortho office should have a specific protovt, call them.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom