Guest viewing is limited

THR Post surgery

I’m in a recliner so I don’t know how I should elevate my leg
 
I can't lie, I was in a recliner often in those early days and didn't do a lot of elevating. I am not telling you to ignore elevation. It is beneficial. I will leave a copy of the Elevate article from the Recovery Guidelines here - elevate

Don't overdo the walking. Getting up each hour is good, but you don't need to be walking more than five minutes or so each hour for the first week. Usually a trip to the bathroom, or to the kitchen to get a snack or drink covers that.

I am assuming you are coordinating with your physician in regard to any increase in POTS symptoms?
I did read a few things that can bring on symptoms. Increasing water consumption, compression stockings as well as some medications. We do recommend staying adequately hydrated, some OS's prescribe compression stockings and I am not certain about the meds you've been prescribed, so if you're not already, I suggest you work closely with your physician on any increase in symptoms.

Sounds like you're off to a great start for the most part. Keep up the good work! :)
@ajhines19
 
My pt is the one who said I have to get up every hour to walk
 
I drink a lot of water and are wearing compression stockings
 
Last edited:
Compression stockings, or TEDS, are something your surgeon would have recommended, if he didn't, don't worry. Many don't prescribe them these days.
@ajhines19
 
I'm also 38yo with a hip prosthesis. I had my hip replaced a year ago, and I too had poor mobility. From my experience movement in my hip came back slowly, without any special stretching. I was a bit worried at first that my hip did not have grater mobility right after surgery, but after decades of stiffness, it took some months before the soft tissues around the hip allowed for it to have a bigger range of motion than before surgery.

All the best to you in your recovery, the first few weeks are tough, but the rate at which you see improvements after that just keeps increasing. Just try not to overdo it, that would be my advice :) :-) (:
 
I will say "you're welcome" from everyone! That's what we're all here for. Members and staff alike. It's what makes BoneSmart great.
Lots of comfort to you!
@ajhines19
 
I’m wondering if I can start taking my vitamins again my dr never told me
 
I would think so BUT call the office tomorrow to double check there's nothing that concerns them.
 
if your drinking lots of water as you say you are, you’re bound to pee more. This is only the start of day three for me and like you i find it easy to start worrying about the least little thing. Try to focus on the positives and the progress you’re making and your worries will lessen. The folk here have been through it all and know what they are talking about. if you heed the advice they give it will get you through this. We are all individuals and have our own worries but often they’re unfounded and just exaggerated by pain and anxiety.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know why I’m peeing so much
Yes. You're a few days post op. You were loaded up with IV fluids and your body retained a fair amount. It's really normal to pee like crazy until it balances out.
Make sure your beverages include some broth, soup, juice so you also replenish the electrolytes being flushed out by all that peeing!
 
it’s really hard to get up every hour to walk
 
Are you living in the recliner, or are you spending some of your time with the knee really elevated up on a pillow stack while icing continuously between hourly walks? It will really help!

The walk doesn't have to be long/far! If you can't tolerate five minutes, do three minutes. It's really important for everything from breathing and circulation to metabolism to activating leg muscles that you get up and move regularly.

Here's an article about how to safely elevate.
 
I’m in the recliner all the time just my pots is bothering me so it sucks to get up every hour
 
I did alot of ankle pumps while sitting (helps with circulation) and make sure you are using your walker for stability for your short walks.
Hoping things ease soon.:friends:
 
Last edited:
Hi there,
Hope you're having a good day!
Are you able to describe in greater detail what you mean? Or, include a photo?
@ajhines19
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom