TKR Post op RTKR

I'm having real problems with stiffness & swelling in my op knee again. Also my un-op knee is very painful & feelings of locking. Any suggestions to help with these problems would be appreciated :chinstroke:
 
Sorry to hear about your continuing problems. I used to ice both legs and also elevate them too especially after I was on my feet all day.
 
@newlybionic I ice/elevate at night & the swelling goes but as soon as I get up it swells again. I have a desk job during the day, try to do stretches & walk around but very limited. I go home ice/elevate. Maybe I should put a compression tube on it...do you think that might help? At weekends a go for walks & do normal exercise
 
My PT had me put an ace bandage on my knee to keep swelling down (off for exercises) and that seemed to help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @charmed-life I have hospital pt today in the gym so off work, will try it when I get back & also every day at work. Its the only thing that is setting me back now.....I just wanted to to be able to do the things I wanted to do. Still debating whether to have left one done or just see how it goes???
 
I had swelling for some time after my BTKR---I would wake up in the morning and the knees would feel pretty good, and, as the day went on, the knees would slowly stiffen up. It was not until May or so (I also had my surgery in early November) that the swelling finally subsided. It was, like yours frustratingly slow.

I am fairly sure that your non-surgical knee is acting up now due to the stress placed on it by the surgery on the other one.
 
If you use a ace wrap make sure you wrap from the bottom of your leg and work your way up.
 
@referee54 hopefully it will be the same for me. It is a long haul & I don't think I expected it to be like this, just hopeful that by the time I go on holiday to Italy in September I will be able to do alot of walking?
 
To make sure any fluid will go up your leg. If you start at the top it can very easily be too tight and the fluid will not be able to move up and back into your circulation.
 
I I have had a lot of trouble with my first knee after my second TKR. I was told it was the extra pressure put on it both before and after the operation. They still both hurt, but not as much. OS said they would gradually get better together. So far they seem to be getting better slowly. Certainly not quick enough for me. Hang in there time I suppose is a great healer.
 
I had a really good pt today my last one at the hospital. They suggested that I do some self massaging to help with dispursing the swelling which is on the outside top of knee. She pressed it today & it felt very bruised. Has anyone got any tips what cream to use for this massaging?
 
My Physio always used oil for massage. I used Bio oil. Incidentally I have some swelling in exactly the same place, not a lot but very visible when I am standing looking down. Perhaps I wil try massaging the area.
 
My PT uses a makeup remover - he admits it sounds weird but felt great - lots of lubrication for massaging. I don't remember the brand.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Any lotion, oil or moisturiser will do. It's the massage itself that helps, not the lotion.
 
Thank you everyone for the tips...I have some bio oil so will try that every evening. My knee has been good today not much stiffness at work, had a relaxing evening. Going to go to the gym tomorrow & then I am away with OH for a 4 day break in Canterbury. I hope I am able to walk around the quaint town? It's not the op right knee that will bother me it's the left un-op one that's giving me trouble.
 
5 months post op - Things are looking up, I had 4 days away & walked about 6 - 7 miles each day & the op knee feels really good, not clunking so much only when on uneven ground. The un-op knee was quite painful & so I put a tube bandage on it to help with support, this felt much better. I am now concentrating on my gait & upper body with a few exercises with 2 kg weights. Massaging my knees is so good & has helped with the swelling. :treadmill::upright:
 
I'm glad you were able to enjoy your trip. 7 miles a day is a great accomplishment.
 
Good to hear you coped well with your weekend. I am gearing up for weekend in St Anne's dancing, with a tea dance at Blackpool Tower Ballroom. Not quite strictly, but same dance floor.
 
Hope your weekend went well @Majic I struggled abit during the week, it must have been all the walking I did last weekend?? Today I have felt so much better the energy has returned, I went to the gym & did an hour of different exercises & did self massage on both knees with bio oil. I just can't sit for long as knee just goes stiff & it's difficult to get up & walk. My gait is so bad at the moment my hips are not in line with my body & so the limp has returned!!!!!! Not sure what to do about this.....my PT has now finished & I have no more appointments with Surgeon. I would appreciate some ideas with exercises to help with this. I do hope all you November Nimbles are doing well?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom