Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

@suemegane I found on exercise bike that raising seat all the way and putting my heel on pedal rather than ball of foot made it possible to pedal sooner (with less rom) - only good for exercise bike, it would be unsteady on regular bike


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good news Marion, but sorry about the ROM. I bought a cheap excercise bike from a charity shop so that I could increase ROM. I put seat at highest and just rocked back and forth for 2 minutes a time every 2 hours, and got round surprisingly quickly about 5 or 6 days. When this was easy I lowered the seat and repeated. The seat is as low as I can manage now and I can ride my own bike. It might be worth trying to get one, why not phone all your local charity shops, they get them quite a lot apparently. Hope things improve and you have a good holiday.
 
Thanks for that tip Majic, I really want to start bike riding regularly again. I tried recently on an adapted bike, but then notice of my op came through and I wanted my screaming muscles to quieten before I get the new knee.
 
Good to hear you are doing well,hope you have a great time in France.

I was just thinking yesterday, if this experience teaches you anything, it's to make the most of every day of the rest of your life :yes:
Bon voyage!
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
Thanks all for the tips. I went to the gym today, tried the seat higher it was a struggle to get on but started to peddle back & forward......i'm hoping this will start me off getting a good turn in a few days:upright:
 
Good for you Sue, keep at it, the full turn will come before too long. It took me longer with my first knee than the second, but they both got there in the end.
 
I found that by sliding the seat back further on the recumbent bike at the gym I was able to go completely around. First couple of turns are a little difficult, but the knees loosen up after that. Hope this helps you. It will happen in time. Wish I knew how to ride a regular bike. I grew up in NYC, lived in apartment building, so never learned. Now I'd be scared to try & possibly fall on one of my new knees. Guess I'd look funny with training wheels at 66 years old-ha,ha!
 
@karol723,
You can also get adult tricycles - not as crazy as it sounds - they are stable and easy to ride - more of a recumbent position. Good exercise and easy on hips and knees


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did a full turn on the recumbent bike a few weeks ago, it's the upright bike I am having trouble with. I'm going to the gym tomorrow & will have another go then
 
Hi Sue, keep up the good work, you will go round backwards easier than forwards, then forwards will soon come. If you can do it on a recumbent it wont take long to get round on an upright.
 
Hi everyone today at the gym I was able to do 5 minutes on the upright bike....little things like this help us in our recoveries. I will be back there tomorrow to increase this achievement.:dancy::wowspring:
 
Glad to hear it. I managed to pull something in my back! Hoping to get back to the gym next week too. Always these little setbacks, just need to keep our chins up & keep moving ahead. Good luck at the gym.
 
I have just got back from a break in France. I found it really hard with my knee. I couldn't do without paracetamol to be able to walk around as I had lots of pain in my foot. Sitting for long periods of time in the old sports car was a nightmare with knee cramping up! Maybe I am still not ready for this yet?
I also went down with a tummy bug which didn't help & I still don't feel any better today. I have put on weight since the op so I think that has contributed to this problem.
 
Sitting in any car for long periods of time is tough, let alone a sports car ! I need to move around every hour or so, or my knees get that right, stiff feeling. Hopefully we don't have this forever. Sorry about your upset tummy, maybe eating different foods brought it on ? I also gained weight, about 15 lbs since the last tkr in December. Trying to lose weight while recovering is not easy, is it ? Hopefully the fact that we will be increasing our activity as we heal will help get some weight off. Hope you feel better soon.
 
7 month update - it's all smiles, no swelling, knee not so numb & able to walk for miles, cycle & do things without pain in my new knee. My left knee is sometimes painful but I have decided not to have that done yet. I'm still going to the gym 3 times a week which is helping to keep some weight off.....but still would like to lose alittle more. I'm also able to do the gardening..even digging with my new knee. It has been a tough 7 months but all worth the outcome, I'm so happy. To all those at the start of their journey, things do get better. :yahoo:
 
Well done @suemegane, I'm so glad you are doing so well, and it gets even better. I'm off next week to Snowdonia and the Lake District for a fortnights walking holiday. I'm really going to test my brilliant new knees and hope to climb Snowdon and maybe Hellvellyn. Keep up the good work at the gym, it really helps to strengthen the muscles and helps with weight control - both good for old and new knees. Best wishes xxx
 
Have a great time @Ellejay i have never been to Snowdonia but love the Lakes. I climbed up The old man of Coniston a few years back, how I did it I don't know! I must set myself a challenge see if I can achieve something I would have thought was impossible before the op? Any suggestions?:hiking:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom