TKR Post op RTKR

I'm not sure if anyone else has made this suggestion but have you had your shoes/sneakers checked for proper fit? My leg was not straight prior to surgery and afterwards it was. I wear sneakers at work (actually most of the time) so I went to a running store and there they looked at the wear pattern on my shoes and checked my gait. Then they had me try on a couple of different pairs. It does cost a little more but their expertise did help me. If you wore orthotics before you will probably need to have them checked. This did help my limp.
 
Hi Marian, yes I have bought new leather shoes & new balance trainers & walking boots. The boots are the best I wore them most of the time I was away in Canterbury, but they don't look good with some outfits hehe!!

I have got out of bed this morning after icing knees all night with no trouble with stiffness, let's see how the day progresses whilst sitting at my desk at work :type:
 
@suemegane Sorry I misled you, the dancing weekend is this coming one not the last one. I'm getting a variety of dresses ready for then, although I fear I shall still be dancing in laced danced shoes, although they do have sparkles all over them, and at one dance a lady approached me and asked where she could get some. I have tried my strapped dance shoes and will take them, but like you I have gait problems and although I don't limp I do wobble a bit and as I am not normally a heel wearer, but a flat tyre girl I lack confidence. I know that the Tower Ballroom will be very well polished and slippery, so better safe than sorry. Could you practice your walking with one or two sticks to try and get rid of your limp. Otherwise an Osteopath or Chiropractor should be able to straighten out your hips. Good luck.
 
I have never worn heels, only flat for me. Well I hope you have a lovely time @Majic just be careful. I have put my sticks away & don't really want to use them anymore, but if I have to I will. I might go & see my GP see what he thinks.
It was tough again at work, so busy on PC that I forgot to get up & walk around, knee so stiff, will do some stretching at home tonight.
 
Week 23 post op - I have had to start taking paracetamol again, i've got the pinching feeling on the top of the knee today, maybe I over did it at the gym yesterday! My Crohns is playing up & a rash has appeared on my feet & on my wrists. The doctor says its Lichen Planus, I'm feeling really drained & tired, I haven't felt like this for a few weeks. I'm going to get an early night hopefully I will feel better tomorrow.
 
@suemegane What is Lichen Planus? Sorry I have never heard of it. I do hope you feel better by now it is horrible having something else on top of TKR recovery, it sets you back so. Sorry about your Crohns, can that be settled easily?
 
Hi @Majic
Lichen Planus is when the immune system attacks the skin cells....I first started to get it 2 years ago, I had a biopsy on the rash & was diagnosed a year ago. I just put steroid cream on it when it appears, it's a very itchy rash, I am left with purple marks on the soles of my feet & my wrists. My daughter's friends mum started to get it after her 2 knee & hip replacements when her immune system was low. I think I need to go back to my GP to get this sorted out.
I have suffered with Crohns for 5 years, it is usually under control with medication but I think my body has gone through alot since my TKR & I have put on weight which is not good for me. Its time I started to get back to Slimming world eating, so from today no more of the bad stuff !!
:) has anyone else experienced immune system problems??:chinstroke:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Our bodies do go through so much from this surgery. I hope you're feeling better soon.
 
So sorry to read about your troubles, I know Crohns is painful and causes a lot of problems. I hope you soon sort things out.
 
Sorry to hear another immune issue has come up for you. I'd go back to your GP and work on these immune system issues. I'm sure the stress, mental and physical, of the knee surgery do not help!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear you have Crohns in addition to everything else. Hope the diet you mentioned will help get you back on track. My gastro Dr once suspected I had Crohns, it turned out to be a severe allergy to dairy instead. Tough dealing with multiple health issues. Gaining weight is something that's hard not to do when we're sitting around with our leg in the air a few times a day !!! Don't even want to try on summer clothes, there will be alot of grumbling when I do. Hope you feel better soon and things improve for you.
 
Thank you everyone for your replies, it's so good to have the support on here. I've laid off the paracetamol since Saturday, I will admit I have struggled with my un-op knee, but did put a tubular bandage on it & it did give it some support. My stomach problems have got better which has made me have more energy.
I just realised without thinking about it, I have just crossed my legs! It's funny how we naturally just do usual things that we did before op, when we start to get better. I also can now walk down the stairs one foot in front of the other....I thought I would never be able to do that again!!!
We are going to Laon in France in 4 weeks....I'm ready with my walking boots, thanks for the tip @Kelpie they are so comfy.:walking:
 
I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. I remember that first time I crossed my legs. I didn't even realize that I had done it until someone else pointed it out to me. O the little things that let us see we are getting back to normal.
 
Marian @newlybionic, it feels so great when these things happen, I wonder what will be next? I want to try to kneel down but not sure if I should or can?? My surgeon was able to keep my own knee cap which is suppose to be better than having an artificial one? Never thought to ask about kneeling.
 
I found out that it is better to keep your own knee cap when I had talks with my surgeon about my revision. I was also told not to kneel for a year. I'm not sure why.
 
My surgeon at 6 month check said I could kneel, but use a cushion. He also said it would feel odd, and not to kneel for long. Just in Church for communion and things like that. All the people I know with TKR's don't kneel, they say it feels weird.
 
I can kneel, but yes, it does feel weird. I do it when I have to, but I don't like the feeling.

I have had the back of both my kneecaps replaced with a plastic button.
 
My 6 month post op report - Well things have improved & I can now average 10,000 steps a day. Walking is now a pleasure & not a task! The swelling has almost gone, it only occurs when I have been on my feet for a long time, sitting at my desk at work does not make my knee stiff anymore & I haven't iced or elevated for about a month & sleeping is now back to normal with no pillow between my knees. All positive things.:happydance:

Now for the ongoing struggles:gaah:
I am still going to the gym 2-3 times a week but still not able to do a full turn on the bike. I am gutted about this.
My ROM is around 100 I was hoping for more at this stage but keeping my fingers crossed for improvement in the next 6 months

The crohns problem has improved since I stopped taking paracetamol, but the Lichen planus seems to have returned. I must go to my GP & have my immune system & throid checked. I have put on nearly a stone in weight so I must concentrate on losing some of it over the next few weeks

I do hope all the November Nimbles are improving like I am?

I am off to France in two weeks so I will be doing lots of walking, that is something I have struggled with for the past 17 years, but not anymore.

This operation has made me a stronger person determined to get the best out of my new active life.:swim::thumb:
 
You're doing great. 10,000 steps is wonderful. Remember the days when 10 steps were a challenge? Have a great trip to France.
 
Many thanks Marian, I remember those days well.
New knee new life xx
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom