TKR Post op RTKR

Hi sue I think my UTI has started up again, husband has just taken another sample to surgery, and back on antibiotics.
 
Oh no so sorry to hear that....hopefully your gp can prescribe something different for it. Keep positive :loveshwr:
 
It is such a lovely spring day today, I managed to do abit of light gardening...at last my knee is feeling alot better. Off to the gym for a stretch class for half an hour & then back home to ice & elevate. I have got a good routine going now, but still have problems with the swelling behind the knee & clunking but I find I just have to ice & rest & it goes down. :climb::spin:
 
We had beautiful weather yesterday too. Hubby gardened a lot, I achieved a milestone in that I rode my bike again, for first time in two years.:wowspring:I would like to do some gardening too, can you kneel or do you sit on a stool? I haven't risked trying to kneel yet. My veg beds are raised so I can reach those easily on a stool or by sitting on the edge, it's the flat bits that are difficult. I find it painful to stand for long too to do much pruning, which strangely I love to do.
 
Hi Majic, I sit on a plastic garden chair to weed or just stand to prune, but it did make my back ache alittle. Any digging was done by my other half. I haven't tried kneeling, it's only been 4 1/2 months post op for me, so alittle too soon? Hopefully the weather is getting better now & it's so nice to get the fresh air & go for more walks. I can't get a full turn on my bike yet & have lost my confidence. I will wait until we go away in our Motorhome in June before I try (it will be safer on grass)!:biking::scaredycat:
 
Hi Sue,
Have you got an exercise bike? I got one from a charity shop for £35 with the last knee. It is very basic and has no resistance, but set on the highest setting and rocking back and forth for 2 minutes every two or three hours it wasn't long before I could get round backwards. After backwards forwards is fairly quick to come. It's a mystery why backwards is easier than forwards, like the stairs I suppose, up easier than down. After lowering the seat twice, same stages each time,I could get round on the lowest setting. When the sun shone I sat on my bike in the garage and tried backwards, when I could do that it was outside. I had totally lost my confidence too, but knowing I could get right round helped, though I was worried about getting off. I walked up our fairly flat lane, turned the bike round, got on wobbled a lot, then made it back to my husband who caught me and helped me off. Next time I went both ways, only about 50yards each way but a start. I don't know when I shall be able to go far as the Cotswolds are notoriously hilly. If I go to the shops it is uphill all the way back. Your confidence will come when you know you can get all the way round.:bicycle1:
This afternoon we are hoping to go to a tea dance although once again the weather is almost too nice- about time too. After today it will be difficult to go anywhere as it is Cheltenham Gold Cup week and all the roads will be clogged.:fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse:
 
Thank you for the encourgement majic, I will try again on the bike on Wednesday at the hospital lower limb class in their gym, we also do some light circuit training & stretches.
My bike is a electric power assisted one, but I will be frightened that I will fall off. My Grandson who is 4 says that I can use his stablisers!!!
We are surrounded by Epping Forest so it's abit hilly here too, I love to go to a place called Fishers Green near the river lee, where there are flat cycle paths....maybe if it's nice at the weekend Mike & I will go.
I am having trouble today with the clunking, at work everyone could hear me coming it's so annoying! Are you still getting this or does it disappear after a few months?
 
You may be finding the clunk annoying but hearing that someone else is having trouble with it is music to my ears!

For about 4 weeks now mine just gets worse and worse. I just don't know what to do it clunks and judders with every step and it's making my whole leg ache and causing swelling.

It's really getting me down.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a pretty annoying clicking in my first knee, although nobody else mentioned it. It gradually got less, and now I think it is probably still there, but I just don't notice it any more, like my heartbeat or any other background noise. If it carries on ask your OS about it when you next see him. My second knee hasn't made any noise at all.
 
Hello ladies, I haven't been on the site for ages, but had a quick look today and had an alert from @suemegane.
I haven't had any others so I don't know why today ??
Don't worry about the clunking, it does go. I had completely forgotten all about it, but I too had very clunky knees. I'm not sure but I think it's as the muscles get stronger to support the knee everything firms up and the clunking stops.
I hardly ever think about my knees these days, one is 26 months and the other is 15 months old. I use the gym three times a week and go for three lengthy and very brisk walks a week with no problems. I am off on a trip to Venice & Rome this week, which will involve a great deal of walking, the only problem could be the airport scanners. We will also be taking our touring caravan with bikes to France for a couple of months later in the year - new knees are just wonderful. Recovery is hard, tough, depressing etc, but a good outcome is just life changing, I hope you all get there soon.
 
My knees both clunk from time to time, but I do not worry about it anymore. It is all part of the metal-on-plastic implants that are doing their thing to give me a pain-free life.

I guess that my muscles have become a bit bigger to deaden most of the sound, and the other part may be that I have become desensitized to it.
 
I sincerely thank you all for your replies.
The more I hear how everyone else's noises are "occasional" the more I think something is wrong. I have spent time today researching noisy knees online and have decided to try and get a senior GP appt in place, which can take 3 weeks, so that someone else can listen to this and feel the heat being generated in my knee.
@Ellejay ~ at what point did you clunk and for how long? I am so desperate to find a fellow clonker, no disrespect to any other noisy knee folk but this is not a click or a pop, it's an horrendous double / triple clunking/grating noise with every single step and it is not Pain Free!
I just feel like I have a 14 weeks swapped the arthritic pain for some other new equally as bad pain! For over 4 weeks now, the pain has been increasing again. I am back on pain meds every 4 hours. Tonight I can hardly move without my walker.

Soooo very sorry for moaning. I need some help.
 
@sleepilu I agree with Celle. Go back to your OS and have him look at your knee. If your knee is swelling up that in itself can cause the feeling of heat. My old knee clicks when I straighten my leg so the sounds never bothered me. In my case I also starting to feel increasing pain but I also had decreasing range of motion and my knee feels like it is on fire all the time. My swelling is worse now than it ever was post op. I had to seek a second opinion and I have a revision planned for the 21st. There have been other members that consistently report the clunking without any need for further treatments.
 
@sleepilu - I think you should go back to your OS about this painful clunking.
The surgeon says he is quite happy to see me again but that I have to go back to the GP for a referral first. Well considering it took over a year to get as far as the surgery in the first place, I don't hold out much hope for a speedy consultation.
@newlybionic ~ I'm not a stranger to clicks and gratings but this is something else!!
I have booked a GP appointment, as anticipated its a 3 week wait for that! In the meantime I am back on pain meds and going to try and do more hydrotheraphy at the weekends.
 
@sleepilu, sorry you're having to deal with pain and clunking again. Too bad they can't see you sooner.Hope. the hydrotherapy helps. I see my OS today for 3 Month check-up. Does icing give you some relief?
 
Hope the GP can help or will get you in quicker! That's terrible to have to wait so long.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 19 post op -I had my ROM measured today 0/100 the hydro & gym seem to have helped to achieve this. I was able to do a full circle on the recumbent bike which put a smile on my face. Getting used to the clunking & clicking, I met 3 people at my gym class at the hospital that have had TKR's at the end of last year & we were all clunking along, we had a laugh that we could start our own orchestra!:rotfl::heehee:
 
One of my knees is 4 years old and it still clunks. Strangely, though, the newer knee (at 18 months old) has never clunked. Both knees work well and the clunking is painless, so I ignore it.

However, since your clunking does hurt, @sleepilu , you should talk to your surgeon about it.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom