TKR Post op RTKR

@referee54 I paid my dues & now today i feel much better. It worked sitting beside my desk & the screen at the end, i had to get used to the keyboard on the edge but I was able to elevate leg on 2 boxes with ice pack around knee. I got up several times & I did a few stretches & bends. Came home & did 10 minutes on my floor pedal, cooked dinner & sat all evening resting & elevating. @karol723 it's so true when we feel much better we do try to do too much. I thought I knew my boundaries but maybe it's still wise to be cautious. I wish I didn't have to go to work, it inhibits the recovery so much.
 
Another good day, it pays to rest for a few days after ODIC. I have had some swelling but seems to be the back of the leg just above the knee has anyone else had the swelling there? Tomorrow it's back to the gym for some light exercise. I wish I could pass the roller coaster stage, i've never liked fair ground rides.....hehe...:rotfl:
 
The weekend has been good, Saturday I went to the gym, did some light exercise with the step, stretches & bending the knee. Went on the treadmill for 15 minutes & cross trainer for 10 the only thing I couldn't do was the bike, I just can't get a complete turn.
Has anyone any suggestions what exercises I can do to help this knee bend a little more? I think my ROM is still about 95. I sit on a chair & push leg back, I lay on my front & bend leg back but I get a pinching pain.
 
suemegane,
What happens to your ROM after you go to the gym?
You probably have swelling even if you cannot see it. Be sure you are spending some time following the Bonesmart Mantra. Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed
We have members who have increased their ROM a year+ after TKR.
 
Pumpkin, there is swelling every day, I ice & elevate every night in bed & when I get home from work or any exercise. I have been doing that since I started back to work. I just don't know what else I can do. I have my last hydro session tomorrow & then it's the lower limb class for 4 weeks.
 
@suemegane
Most people stop going to PT and exercise classes once they are back at work. The activity you get, just by going to and from work, working, and your other activities of daily living are really enough exercise for your knee.

Your ROM can continue to improve now, without doing additional exercise.
 
I really don't get enough exercise going to work Celle. I drive to work, sit for 7 hours then drive home. Then rest ice elevate all evening, it's only at the weekend that I get to exercise, doing housework or walking.So the hydro & light exercises at the gym inbetween is good.
 
Maybe get to a swimming pool if you've found the hydro so helpful?
You'll already know what kind of things to be doing in there?
 
17 weeks post op - Went to hydro yesterday & at last I am able to bend my knee abit further. It feels good & the swelling is right down & I can at last see a shape to my knee again. I am going to go to the swimming pool once a week if I can & carry on the exercises. Its now time to get back on track at slimming world & shift some of the pounds I have put on over the last few weeks. Its good to feel positive again & look forward to our holiday in May to France.:wave::biking:
 
Glad to hear you are feeling better, four months, you are on your way to a full recovery. :yes:
 
I have come through the worst now & it's thanks to Bone smart friends who have encouraged, given tips & been there for each other. This forum has been so helpful in those darkest days after surgery & this last 4 months. I will still be writing on here as I think it's important for everyone to keep giving advice to newbie's.:sneaker:
 
Good to here. Please keep us posted. Made 4 weeks on Monday.
 
Suemegane, you mentioned biking and France in a recent post - are you doing an organized bike tour in France? If so, where? We did one in September.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Charmed-life, not cycling in France we are going to Laon Historic which is a classic car meet. We have a 1971 Triumph GT6 . We also have a Motorhome & take our bikes with us.....no plans to go away in that at the moment.
Vonjpo, hope things are going ok, 4 weeks you should be through the toughest time of pain but still remember rest, elevate, ice & take meds. I thought I would never get through with lots of emotion roller coaster rides. But now at 4 months I can see a light at the end of the tunnel although I know I still have a long way to go. Keep us posted of your journey.
 
Ok, I was going to be amazed you were on a bike trip already! Actually I fell on my bike (in France (after an accident free 1000 miles during the summer) and brought about the knee issue. But your trip sounds fun! So fun getting together with people with like interests!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@suemegane Maybe your surgeon was wise not to use a cathete I was given one, and looking back, would trade many a wet bed for the very painful UTI which resulted and the 5 months on antibiotics which followed, and now I am in the middle of a recurrence of it.
 
Sorry to hear about your UTI majic, maybe my surgeon was right, but at the time it was very embarrassing for me & it took a few weeks to be able to control my bladder.
 
18 weeks post op - Having a few issues with swelling & stiffness after sitting again this week, which is making me limp & have lower back pain. Going to start taking paracetamol for a few days see if that helps. I'm going to lower limb class at hospital tomorrow see what they suggest. I have also been quite restless at night, I suppose this is another stage of the journey?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom