Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

I was suppose to be going back to work full time today but I have gone down with a sickness bug with high temperature. Its really bad timing! I just hate letting people down. My knee is feeling really good, no swelling or pain, I'm seeing my OS tomorrow so hope to be better for that. I will talk about my left knee see what his opinion is. :eeeuw:
 
Oh no! I hope you're feeling better soon. Good luck tomorrow. I'm seeing my OS too. Let's hope they're both pleased with us!
 
I'm glad that you had a good break in Devon, well done with the walking. Still feeling unwell but must get back to work tomorrow & then OS appointment at 3pm. Look forward hearing how you get on tomorrow, good luck. Really enjoying hydro at Epping.
 
Had 3 month check up with OS today & I have a ROM 95/0 so he is very pleased with that so has discharged me. OS is retiring in 3 months so when I am ready I will have to be referred to a new OS. I asked what my ROM was before op & he told me 110/15 so that is another reason I have probably had slow progress with extension. I have started at my local gym doing gentle exercises & bike in a small group that have had TKR's & also have 3 more weeks of hydro & physio therapy. The pain from the op is no longer there, just a few twinges in leg/foot & alittle tightness at times. I have carried on icing after work & sometimes at night just to keep the swelling at bay. All in all I am very pleased that I had this operation & will consider the left knee being done at a later date.
 
I'm delighted for you Sue. I know how worried you've been about your ROM and if it was limited before, no wonder it took you longer! You'll come on in leaps and bounds (not literally!) from now on. My knee is still quite tender. It feels quite bruised at times. I envy your lack of pain. It's true what they say about all knees being different! It's great to be at the stage where we're glad we had it done. It's not long ago that we were both questioning our decisions! Onwards and upwards! X
 
Well done, Sue! :yes!:

To achieve an extension of zero when your pre-op extension was 15 is a great achievement - and 95 is pretty good, too. You have plenty of time for that to improve still more.
 
Thank you Celle, I'm very pleased with the outcome. If I hadn't found this forum I would have been so lost with the right things to do. To anyone who has just had their op, rest, ice, elevate & most important take the meds, this is the way to achieve a good result, just reading lots of people's threads will show you this.:)
 
After the second full day at work, sitting with leg down for a few hours without moving, I am exhausted, maybe its because I still have this bug hanging over me. I am also now driving myself to work, although I have an automatic car moving my right operated leg/knee to & from the brake & gas has caused me some pain today & pinching at the back of my knee this evening. I took some meds, laid on my sofa & fell asleep & woke up 2 hours later not being able to move my knee as it is so stiff, I have managed to massage/ice & elevate but it's so sore to bend. I was so on a high yesterday but being brought down to earth with this. Its true what people on here say, going back to work is enough exercise in its self, but PT want me to build up my quad muscles to help with my gait....how can I do this feeling like this? I am feeling so down/crying again, I'm back on the roller coaster tonight. I think the best place for me is go to bed ice/elevate & hope that I can get through the rest of the working week.:elevate::bawl:
 
suemegame,
When you first go back to work you will be too tired for PT. The best thing you can do for your quads is walk, and you are already walking plenty. Give your knee time to heal, and get used to going to work, then you can work on your quads. Take a break from PT, you can go back later when you are feeling better and used to all the increased activity from working. :console2:
 
Thank you pumpkin, the problem is I haven't done enough walking & have had no hydro or PT this week. Maybe I will feel alittle better at the end of the week when this bug has gone. I need a routine for next week to incorporate enough exercise/rest & going to work, my job is difficult as I sit at a desk working on pc for most of the 7 hours that I work.
 
Hope you're feeling better today Sue. Slow down, you have lots and lots of time to get better. I find the less I do, the more I can do, if you know what I mean. You will really reap the rewards for taking some quiet days with not having to worry about anything but work. As if that's not enough! X
 
@suemegane , I went back to work, at a desk job, 7 weeks post-op. Even though I didn't walk much throughout the day, I got plenty of exercise by getting ready in the morning and getting up and down out of my chair all day. I have had lots of swelling most nights and just go home, elevate, and ice. On the weekend I try riding my recumbant bike if the swelling isn't bad........along with light housework and laundry. Now that I've passed the 3 month mark, I have noticed an incredible improvement. Give yourself time.......it will all fall into place. I still have healing to do and need to strenghten, but KNOW it will be wonderful when the recovery is done. :dancy:
 
Sorry everyone for yesterday's thread. I got myself in a real state. I think it all came to ahead yesterday, the reality of being back to work with pressure of deadlines, not feeling 100% & frustrated with not moving around the office. I got out of my car today & hit my ankle on the bottom of the door, ouch !!!! it really hurt so again ice/elevate. I'm off work tomorrow taking my son to see a supported living flat which we have been waiting for for awhile. I will rest when I get back & if nice go for a stroll. No plans for the weekend yet may even try my bike.
 
Don't apologise Sue. We all know what a roller coaster ride this is. It's all the more frustrating when bad days always follow the good ones! I hope the flat works our for your son. It sounds like a positive move for you all. The weather is really up and down too at the moment but it's been quite nice this afternoon and on our walk, we noticed the birds have started singing more. Won't it be lovely when spring really gets here. I'm sure a bit of warm sunshine will do us the world of good.
 
I can't wait for spring, just love it & then we can go away in the Motorhome with our bikes. :hiking::biking:
 
Woke up feeling much better, the bug is finally on the way out! The sun is shining so i must get out for a walk today. The garden also needs some attention. The knee is feeling so good nearly back to normal other than having a few aches & tightness sometimes. I'm looking forward to hydro on Tuesday the knee always feels good after that. My muscles still need alot of strengthening so will follow up with the gym at the end of the week. I wear a support bandage on my left un-op knee as that is really playing up. I'm not ready for it to done yet just want full strength back first. Have a lovely Sunday everyone keep your chins up where ever you are in your journeys.
 
Feeling great but still have decided that it is best to elevate & ice at night then I start the day without swelling & can get through the working day. I got straight out of bed this morning without having to think about it. Showered without the board on bath & walked with better gait. Had hydro & physio measured 98/0 I've got 2 more sessions of hydro & I was discharged from physio today as I am now going to the Gym & aqua aerobics each week. :treadmill::swim:
 
Good to know you're doing so well. I envy your aqua aerobics! Where do you go? I still find it easy to overdo things. The better I get the less patient I seem to become!
 
Loughton leisure Wednesday evenings 7pm - 8pm think it's about £6.50. I've got a GP referral membership for the Gym & Aqua aerobics £49.50 for 12 weeks. I love it. I got a letter from my Surgeon, but GP can do it.
 
Maybe they do the same thing at the Water Gardens Harlow leisure centre.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom