TKR Post op RTKR

That's a fantastic improvement! Barely noticeable swelling now in comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This morning I want to focus on getting some of the swelling down, can anyone advise where the ice pack should be placed, see my photo at 10 weeks. :ice:
 
Your knee looks really good Sue. I think you'll find the swelling fluctuates throughout the day, depending on what you've been doing. Mine is good in the morning as I elevate all night but it swells a bit by evening. I just put the gel pack over the whole knee. It's big enough to cover the whole joint and right down the sides but not the back of my knee. The cryo cuff does the same exempt there's a whole over my knee cap. If I'm sitting, I have it on and that can be for hours in any one day.

From reading articles on here, I'd say it could take a few more months before the swelling completely disappears.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not at work for the rest of the week so I am able to ice as much as I want to. I ice with the bigger pack at night & I have smaller ones for the day. The swelling is more at the back of the knee so I may try put it there. I slept even better last night on my side with the op knee on top & ice wrapped around knee. I've got hydro therapy this afternoon so will probably ice when I get back. Hopefully the swelling will go down before Physio on Friday as I will be resting more.
 
It's early hours of the morning & just can't sleep. The nerve endings are acting like shooting stars or even fireworks in the sky. I had to throw the ice pack to one side couldn't stand it on my knee. What is going on with the muscles & these nerve endings?????? With ice pack off & laying on my side, let's try again to get back to sleep źźzzzzzzzzz
 
Sorry you're having problems sleeping tonight. Just when we think we have everything figured out everything changes. :umm:
 
After a bad start going to bed with those awlful pains I managed to get 5 hours unbroken sleep last night & woke up quite refreshed. Went to Physio & she suggested that I up my walking, bend is now 95 & extension 8. OH Mike decided to take me out for a walk (not around the block) but a slow walk in Costco & Ikea! I am now exhausted, resting & icing, hopefully not joining the ODIC. I actually quite enjoyed going out & seeing the world again. This weekend I will be practising driving again ready for returning to work fulltime in two weeks. I am feeling more positive about this recovery & not going to let anything beat me. I keep thinking of the reasons I had this op & how far I have come in 10 1\2 weeks. :hiking:
 
This morning I want to focus on getting some of the swelling down, can anyone advise where the ice pack should be placed,
I ice with the bigger pack at night & I have smaller ones for the day. The swelling is more at the back of the knee so I may try put it there.
Why not try using two packs at once? One at the front, covering the scar line, and one at the back of your knee?
After a bad start going to bed with those awful pains I managed to get 5 hours unbroken sleep last night & woke up quite refreshed. Went to Physio & she suggested that I up my walking, bend is now 95 & extension 8. OH Mike decided to take me out for a walk (not around the block) but a slow walk in Costco & Ikea! I am now exhausted, resting & icing, hopefully not joining the ODIC. I actually quite enjoyed going out & seeing the world again.
I'm glad you finally got a good few hours of sleep.

Many people find that once they return to work they don't need physio as well. You are already increasing your walking, once you've added work to the mix.
I'm glad you enjoyed your outing - that sort of trip is good for the psyche - but two stores was probably a bit much for your knee. I hope you treated it to lots of extra rest, ice and elevation afterwards?
 
I took my mum to Ikea a few months ago. She wanted to see "everything"! I thought I'd end up having to give her a piggy back !:loll:(she's a feisty 93)

Since the op I found it useful to time my daily walks starting with 5 minutes. If it didn't hurt later, I'd do more the next day. Keep up the good work Sue! Nothing like a country walk to sooth mind and body! X
 
Last night was the best nights sleep I have had since op. I think it must have been all that walking I did yesterday 6221 steps according to my jawbone up2. No aching muscles so i will go for a walk today (only around the block) to keep up this good exercise. My gait is bad & has been for a few years, so learning to walk tall not leaning forward & bending knee. I am now beginning to realise that the un-operated knee needs some attention with exercises being done on both legs....how many of us forget about the other leg???? & also will start gentle strengthening ones upper & lower body as my shoulders are hunched from using crutches, i'm now using a stick. My local gym has a specialised light exercise class for hip & TKR's which I may join after 12 weeks my OS said this would be beneficial to me. I am feeling great today, positive ready to deal with any set backs if they occur! Have a good weekend all bone smarties.:yes!::dancy:
 
Kate i hate Ikea really but as Mike pointed out yesterday to me after I had written in my thread we did stop for a coffee & cake & walked slowly around! 5 minutes sounds a good start. Take care & have a good weekend Kate & Al x
 
Another good night's sleep so feeling really refreshed. Did have alittle swelling last night but elevated overnight & it seems to have gone down. Was going out for a walk today but we have had a light covering of snow, so probably won't. I'm working for 3 days next week 15 hours in total so will do some light stretches today & some baking. No PT or hydro this week so will do my own thing, maybe go swimming. Is it right that you shouldn't do breast stroke leg movements???
 
We have snow too! I love snow but it's going to be a nuisance if we want to walk today. I lived in Aberdeenshire for 15 years and in Canada for 3 years (as a child). England goes into panic mode with a sharp frost so the inch of snow this morning will cause chaos! :rofsign:

Glad you're sleeping well Sue. It makes such a huge difference, doesn't it? Enjoy your week, you're getting there! X
 
I have always been a swimmer but just breaststroke! So I asked my surgeon on Thursday about swimming and particularly breast stroke legs, he said that he knew some surgeons were very cautious about certain twisting activities for fear of them wearing the new joint out more quickly. He didn't think that was the case (with excessive running as the exception) and that I should try it and see how it feels!
I asked him about some formal hydro physio but he dismissed that in favour of just getting on with normal life and said my swimming would provide all the exercise necessary.

Hope that helps? I wonder what @Josephine thinks?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 11 - Post op - Today I feel that things are getting better. I did go into ODIC last night from 5 hours working, sitting without moving with leg down for at least 3 hours of that time, but did have ice pack on it. Then in the evening going to slimming world. My knee swelled like balloon, but after icing all night it soon came down. Today I worked another 5 hours & came home & iced knee for a couple of hours. All seems well at the moment.
@Josephine what do you think about whether swimming breast stroke legs is a good idea or not?
@sleepilu thanks for your helpful opinion on this subject.
 
I did go into ODIC last night from 5 hours working, sitting without moving with leg down for at least 3 hours of that time, but did have ice pack on it. Then in the evening going to slimming world. My knee swelled like balloon, but after icing all night it soon came down. Today I worked another 5 hours & came home & iced knee for a couple of hours.
You were lucky! Don't do it again!
@Josephine what do you think about whether swimming breast stroke legs is a good idea or not?
Given your leg's reaction to your activities previously quoted, I think not - not yet a while anyway. Crawl would be better as your legs aren't doing so much.
 
All seems good tonight, no swelling, no pain, just very tired so it's off to bed with ice pack & elevation ready for work tomorrow, I have decided only to do 3 hours & have the rest of the week at home. No swimming for me as listening to the good advice from @Josephine
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom