TKR Post op RTKR

Another good day, went to work for 3 hours, came home iced & rested for 2 hours. Then went for a slow walk around the block & didn't have a limp at all! I was able to pedal my floor bike full circle which I couldn't do last week :upright::yes!:I'm feeling really pleased with myself tonight so enjoying relaxing watching TV with my favorite non alcoholic tipple at the moment shloer.
 
:upright::yes!:I'm feeling really pleased with myself tonight so enjoying relaxing watching TV with my favorite non alcoholic tipple at the moment shloer.
You should be pleased with your self!!

These are little victories that mean so very much in becoming fully recovered!!
 
Thank you @referee54 I won't get too over excited because I know about the 2 steps forward could mean 4 back, it's still early days in my recovery & so easy to go ODIC as I did the other day.
 
Haha! I have just been searching on here to see what ODIC was.
I didn't want to appear more dizty then I already do if it was a piece of equipment that I should have heard of or something similar!
Funny. Like it.
 
:heehee: making each other smile is good for us all, takes away the post op blues!
 
@suemegane so happy to hear that you are feeling better - finally getting some solid sleep certainly helps also! It is interesting that eventually most ( sadly not all) of us start to feel better as the weeks & months go on - some take longer than others! I am at 4 months and 10 days, and still have pain some days and nights. This past weekend I had to take a pain pill, but by last night I realize I hadn't felt a twinge all day :yes!: I hope your excellent upward climb continues!
 
I'm glad you are getting on well @New England Librarian. It's been another good day for me, no pain meds taken & I have walked around the block twice taking & picking my Grandson up from school. Now the evening is here its time to relax with ice & elevate leg. I think I have got this recovery right now & know what I can do & when to stop & rest. Next week will be a busy one, PT & hydro therapy + back to working all week, I will let you all know how it goes, when trying to balance all this with lots of ice & rest.
 
I'm glad to hear that your recovery is starting to feel more "right" now, Sue. :yay::happydance:

Don't overdo the PT, will you? With working as well, you probably don't need to exercise as much.
 
Next week will be a busy one, PT & hydro therapy + back to working all week, I will let you all know how it goes, when trying to balance all this with lots of ice & rest.
Let us know how things go for next week---and you are wise to continue to ice and to elevate!
 
Thank you for your wise words of wisdom referee54 & celle :tada: I will not overdo it:thumb:
 
Week 12 post op - So far so good this week I had Physio & Hydro therapy today.....Extension at 4 & Flexion at 90-95. Really pleased with that. Behind my knee its aching & have nerve shooting pains across the top of my knee cap, but I'm elevating & icing. I just loved the hydro therapy, bending, squats, lunges & walking in water felt so good. I would recommend it to anyone it's great exercise.
 
@Ellejay the hydro therapy was very good, i did the exercises that you said about in my thread a few weeks ago. Using a child's armband was fun hehe....it kept coming off my foot! I still have some sharp pains today across my knee, so I iced & elevated & didn't go in to work.
 
It's not easy - to put on, to keep on or to take off, but the exercises really helped me. They were passed onto me by another member - @dogwheels - and I found having a written copy in a plastic envelope on the poolside very helpful as an aide memoir. I did have a couple of sessions with a physio in the water, but I couldn't remember all of the exercises. Good luck, you will look back at these days and laugh this time next year.
 
It has been such a turn around this week, my knee is not so swollen, (icing/elevating every night & when i get in from work) I can walk without a stick & doing on average 4000 -5000 steps per day. ROM is good (well I think so) Let's see what my OS says on Tuesday? I don't think he will advise MUA now:bigfish: I can do a complete turn on my bike, stings abit across knee but feels ok. Tiny steps forward are good for the soul, life is good again. The only down side is my left knee is now quite bad so that will probably stop me from doing what I wanted to achieve so may consider LTKR later on. :driver:
 
You are doing great! I hope your other knee starts to feel better. Have you tried cortisone or gel injections to help? I got a cortisone injection that have helped me.
 
@newlybionic I have had cortisone injections in it previously it's just got worse since RTKR. I have been strapping it up to give it some support, it's hurts mostly when going up & down stairs.
 
I'm afraid my left knee deteriorated badly after my RTKR. My OS suggested it may improve as soon as the right knee was able to take the strain again, but all that happened was the left knee took so much of the strain during recovery that it was soon holding me back when I felt able to do things on my right knee. I had to buy an automatic car, I couldn't drive a manual any more, the clutch was just too difficult, especially if I got caught in a traffic jam. My left knee was replaced eleven months after my right, and I feel that I was basically recovering for two years, but it was so worth it. OK, it was two years out of my life, but I am now completely fit and back to normal. I recommend having them done as close together as you can if it looks likely you will need the second, then you can just get on with your life.
 
Lyn, I think that is probably going to be the same for me. The problem I have is I can't really take anymore time off from work as my boss will not pay me. I hope to be able to retire in about 3 years time & in that time I will build up the muscles in my legs & upper body before I have the left one done. If it gets so much worse before hand I will have to have it done.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom