TKR Post op RTKR

Maybe it is or it could be what cream we are using? I have just put one on but had to rip it off as itchy again! Mike is going to give a back massage see if that helps to relax me. Let's hope we both have a good night PLEEEEESE! :sleep:
 
I had a better nights sleep, 3 hours deep sleep, going by my new toy Jawbone up2. I took paracetamol & codine at 9pm an hour before I went to bed. Went to see a Pantomime Robin Hood with my Grandson today & wore Jeans for the first time since op. Its time to rest for the afternoon now, ice & elevate.
 
Went to see a Pantomime Robin Hood with my Grandson today & wore Jeans for the first time since op.
These are the steps that indicate little victories that mean so much in our quest for normalcy!

Its time to rest for the afternoon now, ice & elevate.
Very wise!!:thumb::thumb:
 
Have you tried cling wrapping just the knee, not the whole leg? Or tried with calendula baby face rash cream? Or tried with E45 cream? Or no cream at all? I've had differing results with each method!

Last night I moisturised with e45 then used a hot water bottle under my knee for half an hour (no cling film) and my knee felt really desensitised when I settled down.

Just got to keep trying things..... Mind, if someone suggested wrapping it in a pizza base soaked in beer, I think I'm desperate enough to give it a go!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds good to keep trying things as we are all different. Is heat allowed under knee? I've only been putting hot water bottle on muscles! Anything is worth a try, even your suggestion!:rotfl:
 
Night 2. Took NYTOL an hour ago, activity still awake!! Still hopeful though. Not resorted to beer pizza yet!

Traditional Chinese medicine always recommends heat once the initial trauma is over. Warmth is good for nurturing all your bits! If anything the tight feeling across the front if my knee is def easing with heat.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hope you all have been able to sleep. It just seems what works one night might not work the next. I believe that Nytol contains diphenhydramine? In some people in causes hyperactivity instead of sleepiness. I'm one of those. I found out the hard way.
 
Did you sleep Sue? It didn't work for me at all and I think I may one of those mentioned in @newlybionic 's post! Meds never seem to work the way they should with me!

I can't abide any heat at all near my knee. The minute I settle down to sleep it starts to warm up and eventually burn. I may revert back icing in bed although it's been weeks since I've done that.
 
Hi Kate, I did have broken sleep for 4 hours, i'm not going to try Nytol as Mike says I am on too many other meds for thyroid, crohns, asthma & now the knee. My heal, across my knee were so bad with pain last night but the worst was my lower back. I know this is because of the way I am walking. I had 2 hot water bottles one on the back & one on the quad muscle & still I had the pain. Its not really in the same place every night either it travels. I am hating going to bed now, its trial & error I think.
I have been laying in bed since 7am so I'm going to get up now as Mike is sound asleep, he has work at 6 pm tonight. Have a good day Kate & everyone else who is having this trouble, let's hope tonight will be a better one.
 
Well just waking from a 2nd lovely night. I completely understand the desire to not take meds. I hate being so dependent on them but keep saying to myself that it's just a short term necessity. Taking something to help me sleep has actually reduced the number of meds I've been taking.
I am not even sure it's the NYTOL that's helped, more about losing the tramadol? But not going to risk changing that again yet!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've had a lovely day out today, went with OH to his Triumph car club at a garden centre in Rettendon in Essex. It was so good to get back to some normality. Going to work Monday & Tuesday only this week as I did overdo it last week. Physio & hydro therapy on Wednesday, Friday & doing nothing on Thursday. Had a drive in the car today, it felt funny, good job it is automatic I don't think I will ever be able to drive a manual again my left un-op leg has taken the brunt of this op on the right knee, it's painful & keeps giving way!! oh no means 2nd op may have to be sooner than I thought!
 
Week 10 -Post op - Things are looking up I had a good night's sleep with only 2 wakes in the night for a sip of water as mouth so dry. I went to work yesterday for 5 hours & 3 hours today. That's my lot for this week as I want to concentrate on getting my ROM & be able to rest/elevate my leg which I am unable to do at work. Physio on Friday & hydro therapy tomorrow. My knee is not so swollen today but yesterday it ballooned up after sitting at work at a desk for the whole 5 hours & going to see friends at slimming world last night hence that it why I only did 3 hours today. The knee is clunking & I sometimes get a sharp pain across knee cap area...but I do feel I am through the worst part of recovery. I'm looking forward to our holiday in May to Laon Historic classic car show in France where we are staying in a lovely hotel with swimming pool & spa. I just hope I can get in my OH Triumph 1971 GT6 car? Also looking forward planning to go away for weekends in our Motorhome & off to Rome in September. Its now 3 weeks until I see OS so do hope I can get the ROM that he wants so I don't have to have MUA.
 
Funny how we're both sleeping better and both looking forward to our holidays with wheels! :hog:
Your ROM will come Sue. It might just take a bit longer but it will come.

My knee clunked badly for a while but has improved recently. I think it's worse when swollen. If I've done too much I get the knee cap pains too. They're nasty! My knee has recently taken to making a "zipping" noise when I stand up! My son heard it last night and was quite alarmed as it sounds like something tearing. It doesn't hurt though.

He had cruciate reconstruction last year and is in training for this year's London Marathon. A year ago he thought he'd never walk again! :rotfl:
 
Sue you mentioned on bother post that we're at different stages in recovery. I don't think we are, we're just different. You can do things I can't do and vice versa! My ROM my be good but no way could I sit at a desk for 5 hours! In reckon in a year's time there won't be any difference between us at all, except we may be comparing and hobbling around on our 2nd new knees!
 
Hi Kate, that's what I mean't it to read, probably should have left the word stages out!
 
My knee at 10 weeks post op
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post op RTKR
    20160112_171042.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 148
That knee is looking good, Sue. :yay::happydance: Just a little bit of swelling still.
 
The swelling is from doing too much yesterday. Attached a photo from 7 weeks. Seeing how the swelling has come down pleases me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post op RTKR
    20151218_091929.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 158

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom