TKR Post op RTKR

Sue, I think you could ask your doctor what are his expectations for your ROM after a MUA. While many people say that ROM before a knee replacement is a good indication of the ROM you can expect afterwards, this isn't universally true.
Ask him to tell you what ROM he achieved during the MUA and whether he felt any adhesions (he'll probably say yes to that, because they always do). Do you have a phone or a small camera? If so, ask if he or someone else in the theatre will take a photo for you, of your knee when it is bent and straightened.

Ask about how much therapy he wants you to have after a MUA. Many surgeons advise intensive therapy, but your knee will have sustained some soft tissue damage, which will need time to heal, so the most important requirement is that you treat your knee gently.

I often advise people not to rush straight into having an MUA, but to wait a while and see what time will do. However, I think that an MUA could be a good idea for you. That's just my personal opinion and others may not agree.

After a MUA, your leg will be sore, because of the soft tissue damage. So, you'll need to take a step backwards and do plenty of rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock, all over again.
Exercise gently by all means, but don't go mad about it.

Best wishes - and do let us know what you and your surgeon decide.
 
Have you considered finding a fully qualified acupuncturist before going down this route?
Acupuncture is great at releasing tension in tendons and for stimulating muscle recruitment.

In the UK check out local qualified practitioners by going to the British acupuncture council website and putting in your postcode. I think it has to be worth trying before going under again?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification. It still sounds like a pretty drastic procedure ?!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you Kate, still got mixed feelings about the MUA Had the worst night for ages things going around my head, pain in my knee so up the meds, I iced & elevated all night & doing the same now. Its not swollen anymore than it was yesterday. Just had phone call from hospital changing the appointment time to 4.30 never mind. I am trying to relax with herbal tea & a nice breakfast.
 
I think stress plays a huge part in our recovery. If I'm stressed my knee always yells for attention as if to remind me it's more important than anything else. I'm not sleeping great either.

I think you'll be much more settled when you've had a good chat with your OS. Don't be afraid to tell him how anxious you are. Hopefully he'll be able to alleviate many of your fears.
 
Week 9 - Post op. I went to see my OS today & he says if I keep up the exercises to straighten & bend he hopes that I will get an improvement in the ROM before he next sees me in 4 weeks. If it doesn't get better he will then go down the route of MUA but really hopes this will not be the case. He has written a letter so that I can go to physio at our local gym leisure centre for 4 weeks with a qualified physiotherapist who specialises in Hip & knee replacements there. So I will be enrolling in that & hopefully this will help. My knee has been behaving today I went to work for 3 hours & was able to do stretches with my leg on a box under my desk with an ice pack on it. I am finding that 3 hours is enough per day at this stage. I might try to drive soon so that I don't have to rely on family to take & pick me up. So I didn't really have to get worried about today after all, so hopefully I will get a better sleep tonight.
 
I was suppose to go to the spa & swimming pool today but my daughter had to cancel due to grandson not well & off scool, we will go later in the month. Went to work for 3 hours then came home to do some extension exercises, elevating & icing at the moment listening to relaxing music. The knee feels good today only a few aches & pains from the stretching. I'm off to physio tomorrow, then home to rest as not going to work.
 
Physio went well today managed ROM 90/10 it's the best the extension has gone. Just another small step but getting there. I will be starting hydro therapy soon so looking forward to a different kind of exercise. In the meantime I will be carrying on what I am doing so hopefully there will be an improvement by next week. Here's hoping that all the November Nimbles are doing well in their recoveries.:dancy::yes!:
 
I'm sure you will improve in leaps and bounds (:heehee:) once you start the hydrotherapy, I found it helped such a lot- and it was enjoyable too. Good luck.
 
Glad your visit with the OS went well. It must be a big relief. I'm sure with confidence boosted you'll come on in leaps and bounds... or at least gentle steps! :yes:
 
I had a really awful night was in so much pain/aches in my knee & leg, I just didn't know which way to lay. I took extra meds over night to try to help & had ice on knee & hot water bottle on top leg muscles but only managed to sleep about an hour before I had to get up. I went to work for 3 hours & i'm really shattered now. I can only sit or lay for about 20 minutes then I have to either get up or change position in bed. What is going on? I'm 9 weeks out & thought I was doing really well with the pain control!!!
 
Have you read my latest post? What was going on last night?? It wasn't a full moon anyway so we can't blame that.
 
Sue, I think you have a very wise OS. I like that he is going slow and trying different routes for you. I have been having aching and pain at night and have been using the SaranWrap. It has really helped me. I do hope you find something to relieve your pain. The November Nimbles are all on different journeys for sure!!
 
Hi Kate, I have only just read your post, can't believe we are both having problems last night with pain & sleep!!!!! I've actually had the pain for 2 nights, poor Mike has had two nights off & had to put up with me tossing & turning, yelling out with the shooting pains. I think mine might be to do with muscles that are all kicking in now....but like you not sure? I hope it's not to do with us being knee sisters! Hehe. I had cut out the codeine as it makes my crohns play up, but had to go back on it yesterday as i didn't want to take Tramadol that was given to me from GP (I haven't had to take this so far in recovery) I am still taking paracetamol 2x 4x per day. I am dreading going to bed tonight! Maybe we both will be so tired tonight we will drift off dosed up with meds. I will report in tomorrow how it went. I do hope your night will be much better x. When you get back from Dartmoor maybe we could meet up again for lunch. I had a go at driving today only around the block but managed ok in the electric car.
 
It's mad isn't it. I've not had a good night for ages but this week has been something else, with last night culminating in torture! Codeine upsets my tummy and Tramadol seems to keep me awake plus horrible scratchy dry eyes and a dry mouth. GRRRR

We shall most definitely meet up for lunch when I'm back. Weekends are best for me as work is starting to build up. X
 
Weekends are fine for me too Kate. Thank you Janis suggesting SaranWrap I did use it a few weeks ago & it was really good, there was only one problem one night when i had terrible itching but i'll give it a try again....I couldn't be bothered to get up in the middle of the night to do it last night.. Kate maybe you could try it too?
 
I've tried cling film Sue but ended up with a very sweaty, itchy leg within minutes! I wonder if the USA Saran Wrap is slightly porous?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom