TKR Post op RTKR

[Bonesmart.org] Post op RTKR
 
At last able to get on this site??? So glad to be back on here to catch up with people. This knee of mine still won't bend or straighten properly it's now nearly 9 weeks post op & i'm going to physio tomorrow & the decision will be made about mua. This tight band around my knee is driving me crazy it just won't budge!! It's not swollen much now but still has that tightening band feeling all around my knee when I exercise or walk. I went out for dinner today to meet up with friends & had a lovely time it was so good to go out but I am getting terrible lower back pain from not being able to walk properly so i have rested since I have been back.
 
Remember the decision on MUA is YOURS and not just your surgeons. Remember too that MUA has been a very positive thing for many of those who have needed it. Please try to stop worrying so much!

We're still in early days even though it feels like months now, I know. I still hurt all over if I do too much! X
 
This tight band around my knee is driving me crazy it just won't budge!! It's not swollen much now but still has that tightening band feeling all around my knee when I exercise or walk.
Here's an article about the tight band feeling:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
It will ease gradually.

Meanwhile, stiffness is a form of pain too, so don't forget to take your pain medications.
 
I know it's my decision but how do I know whether to give it more time or listen to my OS. Does anyone know is there a time scale for mua to be done if it doesn't improve by exercise & rest? Surely the OS will only do it if it is really needed?
 
Sue, there isn't any time scale, although some surgeons will tell you that it needs to be done before 3 months.
MUA does help some people, but there are others who don't benefit from it.
You need to weigh the potential benefit against the potential risks of another anaesthetic.
 
Thank you for info Celle. I will see how I do at physio tomorrow & see what they say. My next appointment with OS is on 19th January which is 11 weeks post op, but he did say to see him this week but I have been unable to get an appointment with him. I had my op at a private hospital under NHS & I think they discharge me at 12 weeks, so I don't know how I would stand if I decide to wait to see how things go with exercise & rest & if needed to go back to him at a later date? I will find this out from hospital tomorrow.
 
If you needed to go back after being discharged, you could ask your GP to re-refer you. I don't think he'll discharge you in any case, if either of you are not happy. Hopefully there'll be no need though.
 
At last able to get on this site??? So glad to be back on here to catch up with people.
Their host provider has been fighting a series of MAJOR DDOS attacks. This site is probably still not available world-wide as the engineers work to mitigate the attacks
 
Hi Sue. I hope you're doing well today. I am just catching up on your thread and wanted to share my experience, as I'm slightly ahead of you. I'm coming up on three months and I finally feel like my ROM is improving. I cut my PT exercises in half and started taking walks and riding my stationary bike twice a day, other than that, I rested my leg. I'm now at 3/120, but it took eleven weeks to get here. Once I stopped excercising so much, my flexibility improved quickly. The other thing I learned is that the knee can be swollen inside without looking swollen on the outside, which can hinder your rom. This is indeed a roller coaster and requires a tremendous amount of patience. Wishing you well.
 
Hi Julie, it's good hearing from others who are just in front of me in recovery because it gives me encourgement to stop & evaluate where I really am in my recovery. I have the stinging sensation across under my knee at the moment & each week the strange feelings travel so I guess that is part of the healing inside. I will try the normal walking this week.
 
How did you get on today Sue? I've been thinking about you all day.
 
Hi Kate, went to physio & she says that my knee will probably not extend anymore than it is at 15 & flex 90 so that will limit me on my walking. I have a limp & that will not improve even if I push myself with exercising/stretching. My appointment has been brought forward from 19th to see OS tomorrow at 3.30 so he will give his opinion & then it will be my call on what to do. I don't want to be left with this knee like it is :boohoo:it will not be good. My goal for this knee operation was to not have the pain & be able to go for long walks on holidays & enjoy life (I haven't been able to do this for so long) the pain has gone but i don't want a knee that is set in one place like it is.:what::sigh:
 
Talk to your surgeon about it all, Sue. He may advise a MUA.

It's only two months since your surgery, so I think your PT is being unnecessarily pessimistic. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR. While it may take longer for you than for most people, there's still a good chance that your ROM (both flexion and extension) can still improve.

If your leg was bent before surgery, the muscles and tendons at the back of the leg will have shortened. It will take time for them to lengthen again, but it could happen. Just work gently at the exercises, don't force it and don't do anything that hurts. I'm sure you're already doing some of these, but here are some exercises you can do by yourself, at home:
Extension: exercises for improvement
 
Celle, I have 2 physiotherapists one at the private hospital & one NHS & they are both saying the same. I think the OS will probably agree that a MUA would benefit me. Could you advise what questions I should ask OS tomorrow?
 
I've read that many people here have had positive outcomes from MUA, if that's indeed what you end up doing. I still have stinging and burning sensations that continue to change every week, and I take that as a sign of healing. I'm looking forward to hearing what your OS says. Take good care.
 
Hi Julie, I have been reading other people's threads who have had MUA & yes it could be a positive thing to have done. I will wait see what my OS says tomorrow. :tada:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom