THR Post-op. Now at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mike you are a big uplifter! Do any of you have tips on like im getting a bit "down" because im stuck in the house! I can't drive yet, not allowed to walk without the walker yet because of the weakness of my bones so im just stuck inside! Not much to do and being 20 and non active since july with the CD then replacement 2 weeks ago.. im getting really bored!
 
Hi Aaron... Stick with it buddy.. This is the important time for healing and being kind and patient with yourself.. You won't need the walker forever and you will get your young life back... Great to catch up with you :)
 
Thanks mike you are a big uplifter! Do any of you have tips on like im getting a bit "down" because im stuck in the house! I can't drive yet, not allowed to walk without the walker yet because of the weakness of my bones so im just stuck inside! Not much to do and being 20 and non active since july with the CD then replacement 2 weeks ago.. im getting really bored!

Hi Aaron,

Always here for you if you wanna chat mate. With regard to your request for tips for when you are getting down being stuck in the house, I have some ideas for you...

Why not consider taking on a creative project which you could do in between indoor walking sessions with walker.

1. Do you like music? How about putting together a playlist of songs that lift your spirit and your mood.

2. Do you like to write? A story, a children's book, a poem or a diary.

3. Have you ever tried painting? Water colors are pretty cheap to buy and try.

4. What about a craft? Clay models, junk craft, etc. Borrow some books from the local library and check it out. There are lots to choose from.

5. Books to read or if that is hard when you are tired try audio books from your local library.

6. Cooking. Have you tried it? Are you any good. Plan a special dinner for someone. Arrange to get the ingredients and practice the menu before the special day.

7. Gardening. Grows some plants in pots. A collection of herbs to use in the kitchen are cheap and easy to grow. What about flowers or bonsai?

The bottom line is it doesn't matter what you choose, it just has to stimulate your mind and give you an outlet for your intelligence. Why not try something new?

Cheers mate,

Mike
 
Thanks poppet great catching up to you as well!

And mike thank you! I do read a lot not as much since my CD in july because I read like 6 books during that time lol but now I can't drive yet like I said so stuck. I can cook I love to cook but standing for a long period of time right now is a bit tough because my hip is still so weak the bones havent secured it. Of course im sure you know since you had surgery 2 days before me! I try and do some studying for my Medical stuff to keep my brain sharp but I get bored since im at home. I think writing could be a good outlet! I used to write poetry maybe could do that! Just being in the house mainly since july its tough trying to think of new things but I like your ideas!
 
Aaron

I sooo sympathize. I am WAAAAY plder than you and was essentially house bound Dec-May. I was bored and restless. I did several of the things Auusie Mike listed as well as baking aand journaling. I had never done much of either, and both really helped me pass the time. I also kept a running list of everything good in my life ..amazing how uplifting that was. Baking was easier than cooking as I didn't have to stand as much. I also got hooked on a couple of silly TV programs, and enjoyed them without embarrassment ( Grimm and Once Upon A Time). I had 2 dogs at that time and they really helped as did my three kitties. I couldn't do the care and feeding but I was able to do the petting and cuddling. As I healed my goal was to walk my dogs again. I focused on this and did everything I could to get ready for that. Do you have a goal or dream for when you are again mobile? If so start preparing anyway you can. Physically, mentally, emotionally...it will also help pass the time. And of course you have all your friends here on BS that are ready and willing to visit and offer encouragement.

You are an amazing young man and I know you are going to be back to "real life" very soon.

Regards
Suki
 
G'day Mate,

How are you doing? Hope your day goes well today. Remember every day you are one day closer to the time when you are able to ditch that walker and spread your wings.

I would love to read one of your poems that tells of your experiences, your hopes, your dreams and feelings. When you have time and inspiration...

Cheers

Mike
 
Thanks Suki that helps! I do have a goal and that goal is to continue my medical education and finish school. I will be facing another hip replacement in the near future most likely next summer but as for now my goal is to start back school next semester, get a job and continue my life until I have the next replacement. I prepare myself by reading some old notes and study books. I guess the overall goal is to get back to living my normal life and enjoy my young age! I do some reading, studying and I have a dog as well he is a big chocolate Lab I can't get around him much because he is very playful and does not understand he can't jump on me right now.

Hello mike!! Hope your day is going well. Always have encouraging words for me which I appreciate! I have written some once I finish some stuff i'll post for you! It always helps when im down and feeling bored and overwhelmed to write things out. Hope all is well and your new hip is working out exceptionally well!
 
Why hello Aaron, just catching up after an enforced break of the net.. Had problems with our ISP.. whoa! total isolation from BS and email..

I had to find other activities to amusement at night after work.. So started up my self teaching Spanish lessons, started knitting a scarf and a jumper.. Yes two projects at the same time.. What did we do before the www ?

Seriously though, it won't be long and you will put all of this behind you and you will be back in the world.. Dare I say, maybe even wishing for some time off :)

Hang in there, you are truly doing great :)
 
You know what I have been on here since July and using a walker since july and my girlfriend decorated my walker for me because she said I could not just walk around with a plain walker and I have yet to show you guys. Most people get a good laugh out of it so maybe you will too :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-op. Now at home.
    562902_3620704878258_1464631052_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 209
I love your girlfriend's style Aaron!! But seriously no tassles and no glitter? What was she thinking?
 
Its spongebob. We almost went with snoopy! I get great responses to the walker though. Its been a good friend for the last 4 months!

Anyways all of my bandages finally came off and here is the final picture and im gonna post it in the scar album as well. You can also see the 3 small incisions where the pins went in.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-op. Now at home.
    IMG_0530.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 190
Hi Aaron, I've been reading this thread for a while now and it's taken me this long to post, shame on me! I thought I was a very young hip replacementee but still have 16 years on you! I won't fill you in on my whole story here, you can have a read on my thread if you wish. All I can say is I feel your boredom! I'm the same! I am 30 days post op and am in an abductor brace until 14 niv at least so no normal recovery for me until then! I agree with aussiemike painting and reading have been my saving grace! I have been painting for years so it isn't a new hobby for me but could be an idea for you? Perfect opportunity to take up something new eh?!
Anyway really only wanted to say you are not alone in your slow recovery and boredom! I know sometimes it seems that everyone else is motoring ahead but,chin up, we'll get there too!!!
Take care
Roxxy
 
Thanks roxxy! Our surgeries were two days apart and im still having to use the brace as well so we really are in the same situation differing the age part. Thank you for responding and telling me all of that. It really helps. I've been stuck in the house for 3 months basically so its tough but this site, you guys have helped a lot! Thank you.
 
One day soon Aaron, your young life will be yours for the taking.. You are a very strong man.. :)
 
Having more pain than my doctor would like since my incident a week or so ago so I have to go in monday to see my surgeon so they can make sure my prosthetic looks okay and nothing messed up when I had that issue. So hopefully all is okay and that it looks fine.
 
Aaron, was the 'issue' when you bent over? you didn't have a fall did you?

So sorry you are having more pain, fingers crossed everything is ok with your prostheses.. looking forward to hearing the result of your appointment with the surgeon.. take care :)
 
Appointment went fine, prosthetic looked good. I will post picture. He said it's still early in my surgery and the pain I'm having is just from that being so soon, nothing to worry about, he said, but to keep on with hip precautions. I could move to using a crutch or keep using my walker and keep doing my home exercises. I go back in 4 more weeks that's when I should start outpatient therapy.

Have any of you had knee pain with your surgery? My knees have been bugging me for a long time even before I knew I had AVN in my hips. I never had it checked out because they found the hip problem so I talked to my surgeon. He is going to check them in 4 weeks to make sure nothing is wrong with them but they have been giving me pain as well. I am also weaning off pain meds.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-op. Now at home.
    522332_3875405805622_797924415_n.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom