THR Post-op. Now at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Annie. I have this pillow wedge they gave me between my legs and I have 2 pillows under that to elevate my legs and I have an Ice Machine that circulates ice constantly around my hip and now I finally feel comfortable but this morning I got up and walked from the recliner all the way down the hall and back and it didn't hurt that bad at all so I hope that means im getting better! My home health Physical Therapist will be out today or tomorrow so I will be getting on that to. Im hoping i'll make more and more advancements and getting better each day! All my doctors say that because im so young I should heal quicker so hopefully I do. I hope that I am not traumatized as much by this surgery that when it comes time to do my left hip I will not have any doubts!
 
Hi Aaron

I just wanted to comment on your most recent post. As a young guy you certainly have a number of challenges ahead of you. Knowing this upfront, can has some real advantages.

A wise friend of mine once said to me, "Mike, no matter what, never forget that you are responsible."

I protested to him saying, "Hang on, I didn't do anything to cause this situation."

He then made himself clear saying, "Think about the word responsible. It is made up of two words - response and able. For you are indeed able to choose your response."

I never forgot his advice. So in tough times going forward, which you will undoubtedly have, you can choose to be positive. You can choose to draw on your experience in earlier surgery and the courage you have shown in the past. You can choose to inspire yourself. You OS of course has a very important role, but always remember that your mental approach can make a very real contribution to your recovery.

Good luck mate,

Mike
 
That's a great saying, Mike. I shall have to remember that.

As for the "toes above nose" that is not mine but emanated from kneerus, our resident PT who lately seems to have moved home! I only use it for knees as a rule as I know it's rather difficult to achieve after hips surgery. So any form of elevation is okay.

Aaron, I think you are doing well. These things are always a bit tougher on you youngsters than on us old folk as we have learned to be more pragmatic about the constraints. Just make notes here for your second hip and it will serve you very well.

btw, I noticed you added to your signature that you are a medical student. What's your ultimate goal for the future? Are you going to be an orthopaedic surgeon?
 
Thanks mike that was very uplifting. Really helped! Yes Josephine I am a medical student of course taking this time off right now because of surgery. I do like orthopedics a lot and I do wanna be a surgeon so its looking that way but im taking it one day at a time who knows what I will end up doing but I have a lot of experience in orthopedics! On another question I do not go see my doctor until next Thursday and did not get to talk fully about my surgery afterwards so I'm just curious if you guys know of a reason he might have had to put pins in my pelvic bone? The 2 inch scar that's on what people call "The Hip Bone" that pokes out if you are a skinny minny like me. I'm just curious. I will find out next Thursday but wondering if any of you might know. :)

Thanks for all the encouraging words as well I am doing home PT right now and its tough but I'm taking it one day at a time. Sleeping is hard though, can't get comfortable during the night especially having to have a wedge or pillows between the legs!
 
Hi Aaron

I have no idea the answer to your question - just wanted to say how much I admire your ambition. Wishing you every success.

Mike
 
Thank you mike. Honestly that was the most uplifting thing I have heard in a long time. Really helped especially right now recovering. I took a screen shot of your post and set it as my background so I can read it when I need encouragement.
 
I am truly touched Aaron. Perhaps you might like to take the time to read the book from which that little story comes. The book is called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Dr Stephen Covey. Its a book that changed my life in so many ways, I highly recommend it to you my friend.

Mike
 
It is not easy to stay positive through ones recovery journey, there are ups and downs, one step forward, two steps back.. But....

A very wise member said to me right at the beginning of my journey, well in fact, before it began..

Just remember it is a marathon and not a sprint and you will be fine!

Maybe another to add to your encouragement list ?
 
Do you mean pins or screws? There is a model of hip replacement that requires between 1 and 3 screws to be put in the shell of the cup to secure it. It's nothing to do with any problem in the surgery and usually employed in uncemented hips. It looks like this

[Bonesmart.org] Post-op. Now at home.
 
Thank you as well poppet. They said I am probably having a rougher time because my leg was so weak from the CD I had in july so it may take a little longer but im pushing forward! Taking it one day or step at a time!

And Josephine my doctor and my form sent home with me says Total Hip Replacement / Pinning. Doesn't say screws, I assume it is probably something to do with holding the cup in I'll know more once I go for my appointment but every time I look up Total Hip Replacement/ pinning it brings up something about fixing a broken hip but doc did not say it broke just said he had to put pins in and they went in at an angle above my pelvis. You saw the small incision that was close to my abdomen.
 
Hi Aaron... Hopefully Jo is sleeping away, same as you right now, but I will tag her so that she can comment when she comes back online Josephine;
 
Ah yes - I remember now. Must be something unique to you then. I'll be interested to hear what he says. Might be interesting to see your xray if you can get one. I am intrigued!
 
Aaron, just wanted to stop by and say hello :) You have been through a lot but you are obviously a very determined young man who I'm sure will go far in this world. Stay strong and positive, you will get there in the end.

Hugs

Ann
 
Oh yes Josephine I will have pictures for you to see! I go Thursday hopefully to get some of these awful itchy stitches out! My home health physical therapist says I'm doing great and will probably start therapy In a clinic next week. I'm still on partial weight baring she said most likely they didn't use cement because I'm so young and are letting the bone grow into the replacement to hold it in so still can't do too much until I see my doctor Thursday! I'm getting a bit down being stuck inside so getting out for therapy even though its gonna hurt at first ill be glad to be out. I'm having trouble sleeping and getting comfortable but I can tell the pain is more of a "surgery" pain rather than an AVN pain it's a different pain so that's good right?

Thank you Ann that means a lot! All the encouragement helps.
 
Wow, Aaron, your positive attitude is just blowing my mind! I'm not EEE-ven going to complain about my little aches and pains any longer :-) You are wise about the quality of the pain. Yes, you are having surgical/healing pain now. I would just issue a small word of caution about PT, and to be super cautious about overdoing it. In the long run, doing too much to the point of pain and exhaustion will not speed your recovery, and may set you back. At this stage, only rest is actually mattering. You have seen Jo's healing energy chart, right? For good reason, you are anxious to be up and about and doing. I'm guessing because of all the complications with your hips and health, you are used to listening to your body. It is most important in this early stage. Mazel tov!
 
Thanks deb! I do understand about the PT and my therapist is really good about making sure im not in pain. Im using home health right now but therapist thinks my doc will go ahead and put me in a outpatient PT clinic because I have been doing so well. It does hurt to try and walk on it with less pressure on the walker but its still tough and im still on partial weight baring as well. But every day im feeling better and better so looking forward to the point of complete recovery! Then to do it all over again on the left hip so trying to make notes and things about this surgery to help with the next! Doctor appointment in the morning hopefully get great news and see some xrays :)
 
Didn't get any pictures today :( but so far so good he said my motion and everything was really good and I had all of my stitches taken out and my incision looks really good! :yay: I have to be on partial weight baring for a while because he said they are letting the bone grow into and around the prosthetic and my bones are weak so I have to be really careful for 6 more weeks. Still gonna do home therapy until then. Have to stay on my hip precautions as well. So just gotta wait it out do my home exercises and pray for no dislocation!
 
Pray for it by all means but remember that dislocations are pretty rare. I'm sure you'll be fine. And you're doing so very well!
 
Not having a good night. Not sure whats going on but when I got up earlier my leg felt funny and started killing me and I was getting ready shower and by time I got done showering I thought I was gonna pass out from it hurting and ever since its felt "off'' I don't know how to explain it its like my hip feels loose and walking on it hurts even with the walker and my leg feels longer than the other one. Because the pain was so bad I called the on call doctor who was not my surgeon so he did not really know much said I may have overused it and if things were not better in the morning call my surgeon. I hope nothing is wrong but I am in a lot of pain and my leg does not feel right. I just hope in the morning it is better. I assume I would know if it was dislocated so I don't think it was that I just don't know what could be going on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom