THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

My OS was much the same at my six week check. I thought I should be walking better but he didn’t seem interested... Just said everything will keep getting better.
I feel for you with that pain :tantrum: I’d not be doing anything too vigorous!
 
Thanks ladies. I'm gonna just keep me chin up as usual....OS also gave me a script for a lift. I just have to look up a whatshisname that specializes in it and go have a gander at it. That convo was also annoying because OS was so dry about it, saying "Oh, well if you think a lift will make you feel better then go for it....but LLD isn't a big deal, many do get used it, and it absolutely WILL NOT cause any ill effects on one's body. It's actually better for your other hip....." and he goes on to explain how with the LLD it makes the pelvis tilt in away that benefits the arthritic femoral head.
:shocked:Wait...what!?!?

YAH.....:gaah:
I dunno. :scratch:
 
Sorry to hear about all of this @danabanana just a thought have you tried or considered acupuncture? I tried it when I started having leg problems before I knew it was hips and although I was sceptical at first it did seem to work do find someone who is good and experienced though don't want someone just sticking needles anywhere :no-fin: good luck really hope you turn that corner soon.
 
@danabanana , so sorry that you are having the thigh pain. I am having the same issue and ignoring the heck out of it. All vigorous PT has done for me is cause more swelling and pain, so no improvement. A bit of trivia from another step counter: when you use a walker, crutches or a cane on your counter side, it may not count steps correctly. I tried a little walk with and without the cane and the count was half with the cane! So you may be walking a lot more than you think. On that basis, my goal is a measly 3000 steps until all the pain goes away. I have done >5000 steps twice after surgery and it hurts! You may want to do that experiment on a short walk inside the house to see if your Fitbit is the same. I use a Garmin.
 
I actually went and had Bowen Therapy yesterday hoping it will help with my thigh pain. Fingers crossed!
 
It’s an alternative type treatment that is very gentle. If you google it will explain better than me lol
 
@Jaycey I'm not going to do any of that rigorous rehab and stairs my OS was spouting off about ....don't worry. I admit however, there's a part of me that wants to just so I can show him how terrible it would be. Honestly, I swear these nuts and bolts guys have no real clue about anything beyond the actual procedure.
 
Thanks for the ‘dabbing’ explanation @danabanana. It hasnt arrived in UK I don’t think, but if it does I’ll be ahead of the game.

I agree with you that the surgeons tend to not to be too bothered about the recovery so long as everything is technically correct. It looks as though that part is fine from the X-ray, so you should be safe to seek help elsewhere.

This is where ( like I said before ) that Chiropractors are very skilled at dealing with muscle pains in all sorts of different ways. They have a huge variety of massaging techniques, diagnostic abilities, dry needling (similar to acupuncture. Manipulation seems to be only a small part of their skills. My one previously was a chiropractor to professional football club and used some strange roller things on my foot (which cured pain that I had had for over a year from a fall and sprained ankle). He also diagnosed and dealt with the pain in my lower leg that the surgeon said the hip surgery wouldn’t help. It was just an irritated muscle.

Good luck with it all.
 
@danabanana
I can't read X-rays but even if you have nothing technically wrong with the actual joint, you are still experiencing pain. Bones can knit but soft tissue can take FOREVER! Is your new hip the longer leg? That can cause all manner of muscle, tendon, issues until the soft tissue gets sorted out.
Second opinion honey and in the meantime you can go to PT and request massage and hot packs on muscle groups. TENS therapy easy stretching etc. Walk a bit for them to have their eyes look at gait issues due to the LLD. Ask them about a new OS, who would they go to have THR.
Seems like with insurance companies practicing medicine these days, the protocols for PT after surgery seem to rule over common sense, to move on with a second opinion the IC will require some PT time even if just for an evaluation of what you are not able to do.
I get what you mean about just going to PT, but you can make them work FOR you.
My PT lady was the one who Pinpointed my hip issue and encouraged me to see a hip surgeon when everyone else said back/spine.
 
Bebe, I agree with you. I think PT can be invaluable in certain situations, although I'm an OT so come with some biases. I also was seeing a PT for work on my SI joint earlier this year..who couldn't quite make sense of the issues I was having and recommended a sports medicine doc who she knew would get to the bottom of it. It was that referral that resulted in am MRI that reflected how severe the hip arthritis was (vs the X-ray that showed only minimal arthritis. I'm appreciative of her skills and knowing who to refer me on to to move forward. I will go back to her in a heartbeat for any issues that might come up. I think we should be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water as they can be valuable to our recoveries when appropriate.
 
With my first hip, my PT was the one that said I needed and arthrogram instead of the plain MRI. At one point, he and I were the only 2 believing there was something wrong with my hip. He was the one that encouraged me to find a new OS who would take a fresh look at things. I worked with him before diagnosis and after each THR - made all the difference to me.
 
Is your new hip the longer leg? That can cause all manner of muscle, tendon, issues until the soft tissue gets sorted out.
Yes it is! This makes sense!!!!

Sorry everyone, I'm not ignoring you, I'm reading and digesting, and I'm so very grateful for each of you taking the time to weigh in. :loveshwr:
I had a lovely visit this morning and early afternoon with my daughter and Granddaughter which was a wonderful, cuddle-filled distraction from all things overwhelming at the moment.
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

 
Are they your gorgeous painted tootsies @danabanana peeping out behind your gorgeous babe? If so...I’m really jealous!

I think that jlsotre, Bebe and Sarahk are making a lot of sense. The point is to have a second opinion or therapy from a PT, OS, acupuncturist, or other practitioner but someone experienced in hip replacements. Maybe some of your work colleagues at the hospital could recommend someone.

The outreach physios in this county (Bucks) of the UK treat predominantly hip replacements and are therefore very experienced in the post op complications. As mine (Ann) told me, it’s quite difficult in a hospital setting to go from e.g. shoulder problem and then for example hip.

Hope that at least you’re relieved that it’s all looking good on X-ray.
 
Just adorable pictures! I'm jealous...no grand babies in my life yet! Although I do live vicariously through my sister's grandkids! :loveshwr:Can't have a better diversion!
 
Love your granddaughter :roseshwr:@danabanana ! Digesting different info/ input is always beneficial. One of the things I love about Bone Smart is that I can read all these good suggestions.:yahoo: Sometimes I need to read something more than once before I realize that I need it. I also learned that there was info that would be useful after I got my package from the Surgeon!:yikes: Huge
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom