TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My doctor doesn't use them. I didn't know if I should be relieved or concerned. For both knees I had those puffy things on my legs right after the surgery till I was able to get up. Even now I'm just on aspirin for 6 weeks. *knock on wood* so far so good.
 
Oh those "TEDS" are awful. Apparently my surgeon is a great believer in them and I have had to wear them since 7th June. In total I have to wear them for 6 weeks and was told that on my 6 week check up my surgeon could agree for me to take them off completely or to just wear one on my operated leg :tantrum:. I have three pairs to wash and wear and I hate them so much.
Bassplayer it seems we are both experiencing the ups and downs of recovery, I too take 2 steps forward and 1 back but I suppose its just my mind wanting things to hurry up when my body is telling me no.
At least you have them both done now and the only way to go is up, I am actually dreading the thought of my second TKR on my left leg. I am such a pro-active person its so hard for me to be patient in my recovery but still there is nothing anyone can do except be exactly that.
I am so sorry to hear about those awful staples still being in you, I know how much you suffered with their removal (just like me :boohoo:) so its good to know that the little hangers-on were no problem being removed.
Love to all,
Viv xx
 
Oh hooray! Turned out that it was the doctor who came and not the nurse, and it was 2 hours early so less time for worrying. He discovered that there were 2 staples and not 1 as I had thought. They came out easily and it was over in seconds! :)
Fantastic! Sounds like it was a non event! Good for you that they are now all removed!
 
Oh those "TEDS" are awful. Apparently my surgeon is a great believer in them and I have had to wear them since 7th June. In total I have to wear them for 6 weeks and was told that on my 6 week check up my surgeon could agree for me to take them off completely or to just wear one on my operated leg :tantrum:. I have three pairs to wash and wear and I hate them so much.
Bassplayer it seems we are both experiencing the ups and downs of recovery, I too take 2 steps forward and 1 back but I suppose its just my mind wanting things to hurry up when my body is telling me no.
At least you have them both done now and the only way to go is up, I am actually dreading the thought of my second TKR on my left leg. I am such a pro-active person its so hard for me to be patient in my recovery but still there is nothing anyone can do except be exactly that.
I am so sorry to hear about those awful staples still being in you, I know how much you suffered with their removal (just like me :boohoo:) so its good to know that the little hangers-on were no problem being removed.
Love to all,
Viv xx

Hey Viv,
Maybe you'll feel better about your next TKR as you progress with this one. 3 weeks is still very early in the game. Things will start changing soon and I'm sure we'll both be feeling better! By the way I started keeping a list of all my achievements so far, no matter how small. I look at it when I am feeling discouraged and it helps a lot!

And yeah it's a big relief that ALL the staples are out now. I was sleepless with worry the night before those last ones were taken out!
 
Fantastic! Sounds like it was a non event! Good for you that they are now all removed!

Thanks 1ELISEA! It was a huge relief and I slept for three hours after that, because I was up with worry the night before. Glad it's over!!
 
Had a PT session yesterday after not having had one for about two weeks. My ROM is only about 30 degrees or so. But my other leg has close to 120 and that is great. Since my ROM is not much at this point, I cannot consider driving of course. The PT thinks I should hold off on walking a lot until we work on my gait. I had a situation of leg length discrepancy after the first TKR and my gait is off now that the legs are equal. So because my gait isn't right it causes me extra pain in the hip and the left adductors if I walk around outside too much.

I am SURE that the ROM will improve in time and I'm not worried about it. The other TKR recovery went more quickly but I know that every recovery is different.

My main concern at the moment is how I will be able to work from home next week. I don't have a comfortable setup for the low-ROM knee at the computer table, so may need to postpone. Maybe I can use the computer when sitting in my armchair though. I have a kind of snack table on the side that I could use. Has anyone come across this issue? I could maybe rent a wheelchair with a raised leg support to use at the computer table...
 
Hi Bassplayer,
I've never had that problem but both of your ideas sound good. I think I'd try bringing the table to the armchair, see how that goes. I mostly use my laptop while I'm in the recliner but depending on what you need while you work it might not be good, no real place to put anything here.
 
The computer table is actually the dining room table. Can't move it, and anyway it's much higher than the armchair. I have a computer chair on wheels, which is the right height but the wheels are scary. And I need to put up my leg...

May have to get a wheelchair if I can't come up with an idea.
 
bassplayer I came over to say HI. I had my knee done close to yours. This is my last time since I now have had both done. It takes time to recover and at times trying. How are you doing? Well I need to get things done before tomarrow, take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hi there. Sorry I've been away so long..just feeling really discouraged. i just did an update in my post.

Sounds like things are moving slowly but in the right direction. I still use my laptop balanced on my lap in the recliner with stuff all over the couch beside me and on a small side table. Its a bit tricky but I do get to keep both legs up which is a good thing these days. Hope you can find a comfy way to work. Be well
 
Hi Bassplayer!
I am so glad that you had those 2 stray staples out. I hope now your recovery will go smoother. Is this knee a tougher recovery than your first? I ask because a few people have posted that the 2nd knee recovery was a little bit harder. I have to have my left knee replaced after I recover from my right. At first, when I was pretty nervous about the first surgery, I thought that I would have it done whenever I FORGOT all about the 1st recovery. Now, being more informed and totally at peace with my decision, I keep thinking that I will have the left done sooner. Maybe I just want it all behind me once and for all. Not sure. I noticed that you waited 6 months. Was that enough time to forget the trials and tribulations of your first replacement?
Wishing you easy days ahead!
 
bassplayer I came over to say HI. I had my knee done close to yours. This is my last time since I now have had both done. It takes time to recover and at times trying. How are you doing? Well I need to get things done before tomarrow, take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:

Hey Tashia,

Every day is a little better, but overall this recovery has been going more slowly than the last. I've been keeping a list of improvements to boost my morale. And I see that even though my ROM is coming along very slowly, the quads of that leg are getting very strong. So that makes me happy! And I can take several steps without the walker. :)
 
Hi there. Sorry I've been away so long..just feeling really discouraged. i just did an update in my post.

Sounds like things are moving slowly but in the right direction. I still use my laptop balanced on my lap in the recliner with stuff all over the couch beside me and on a small side table. Its a bit tricky but I do get to keep both legs up which is a good thing these days. Hope you can find a comfy way to work. Be well

Hello my old friend Randi! :) I replied in your thread but will also write here about the computer issues.

I have 2 setups now. One is to work sitting at my table in a computer chair on wheels. I can sit that way with the leg partially bent for up to 30 minutes or so. The other is to sit in my armchair with both legs on an ottoman with the laptop on a small table to the side. This is only good if I don't need to type too much. But I can sit this way for much longer if I am reading or writing short emails.

You're lucky you can balance the laptop in your lap. That is too uncomfortable for me. I could use my iPad I suppose but I need to use the Citrix app to access my work and it is very slow.
 
Hi Bassplayer!
I am so glad that you had those 2 stray staples out. I hope now your recovery will go smoother. Is this knee a tougher recovery than your first? I ask because a few people have posted that the 2nd knee recovery was a little bit harder. I have to have my left knee replaced after I recover from my right. At first, when I was pretty nervous about the first surgery, I thought that I would have it done whenever I FORGOT all about the 1st recovery. Now, being more informed and totally at peace with my decision, I keep thinking that I will have the left done sooner. Maybe I just want it all behind me once and for all. Not sure. I noticed that you waited 6 months. Was that enough time to forget the trials and tribulations of your first replacement?
Wishing you easy days ahead!

Hi Nyland,

Thanks for your good wishes!! :)

I felt from the beginning that I wanted to have the second TKR as soon as possible. Luckily the first recovery was easier or I might have waited...

But what's the difference really? I had no life with 2 knees bone on bone, so even with the prospect of a difficult recovery I would have wanted to move ahead with my life. The main reason I waited almost 6 months was the waiting list at the hospital. Otherwise I would have done it 3-4 months after the first one.

Bottom line is that if your current life is difficult with that unoperated knee you may as well go for it and have the TKR soon. I wouldn't worry too much about forgetting the first one. Anyway, each TKR is different and the second one could be easier! What was good about the second one for me was that I had the experience and also the support from this wonderful forum.

Hope this helps! :)
 
Thanks for sharing that, Bassplayer! I'm glad that both replacements are behind you and you are on your way to being the best you!
 
My "gentle hard work" paid off! I've been doing gentle stretching for over a week, trying to improve my 30° ROM. My PT was away for a week and today we had a session. He was impressed! He said I got to about 70° already! Hooray! Gentle stretching works!! :) :dancy: :yay: :egypdance:

The truth is I was very worried...so relieved!
 
Bass player---wow that nurse needs to go back to school for an extra term. First she turned what should have been a painless procedure into agony and second, she forgot some of the staples!!! I think you should write a letter about her so that she learns to do that job properly. I am glad that my doc uses glue!!!

Tramadex is called tramadol in the us. There are two versions and one has tylenol in it. Be sure not to take extra tylenol without checking that out--any pharmacist will be able to tell you about it. I think tramadol is an excellent drug--it does not make you groggy like percoset. Kelly
 
Bass player---wow that nurse needs to go back to school for an extra term. First she turned what should have been a painless procedure into agony and second, she forgot some of the staples!!! I think you should write a letter about her so that she learns to do that job properly. I am glad that my doc uses glue!!!

Tramadex is called tramadol in the us. There are two versions and one has tylenol in it. Be sure not to take extra tylenol without checking that out--any pharmacist will be able to tell you about it. I think tramadol is an excellent drug--it does not make you groggy like percoset. Kelly

Kelly - I will consider what you say about that nurse. You're right that she made serious mistakes. My sister noticed that the instrument she used was much blunter than the one the doctor used, which could have accounted for the pain. We would never have known if he hadn't had to come and finish the job.

Tramadex OD 100 contains Tramadol HCL and is a prolonged release tablet. There is no mention of paracetamol at all in the package insert. My previous Tramodol tablets did contain paracetamol however. And those were not too effective unfortunately. The Tramadex is much better.
 
My husband uses tramadol HCL for his back and you are correct, there is no tylenol in it. I am glad that it is working for you. I know that Jo uses tramadol--not the HCL and she takes up to 150 mg per dose for pain. K
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom