TKR Post Op all is well<

Josephine,
Since my surgery, I am cold all the time. My thinks that this may be because of the blood thinners I was taking for the first 5 weeks after the surgery.
What do you think?
Also, my appetite is not what it was before the surgery.
Thanks
 
I was cold for a couple of months after surgery, too, but then went back to normal.

My appetite was off, too, for a while, too. I wish that had stayed that way I as I would love to lose weight. But it went back to normal, too.
 
Being cold after this surgery is normal. Part of the reason is because of all the icing we do, and another is because of the surgery itself. Your knee is more than likely quite warm so most of your body's energy is going to that knee of yours.

The diminished appetite is probably because of the meds. Just make sure you are eating as much protein as you can. Your body needs it!
 
I am cold all the time. My thinks that this may be because of the blood thinners
Hardly. I think it's just because of the rigours of the surgery and is not dissimilar to the Energy drain for TKRs. You might also ask your GP to check your haemoglobin to see if you are anaemic.
Also, my appetite is not what it was before the surgery.
Same thing applies and you are only 7 weeks out. Can you get some health drinks from a sports shop?
 
Hi all,
I just finished 7 weeks since the surgery on December 22 nd
My new left knee is coming along.
My ROM is greater than 100°
For the most part, I have no pain, just sore from the PT.
I go to the pool 5 times a week, and per Josephine's suggestion, I don't do land exercises on days that I do my PT in the pool.
I walk 3 times a day and take my dog out.
I have started riding a stationary bike for 10 minutes 0 resistance.
My swelling is mild and confined to the knee.
I'm able to go upstairs normally, but going down is more difficult.
I want to thank you all for all the wonderful support and advice.
I'll be back next week.
Have a great pain free week
 
Watching Olympics now and seeing some ROM that the figure skaters are doing that I can't do.
Wait, I never could :)
Since it's 3:00 AM here in Israel, you can see that sleep is still an issue.

Just wanted to add to my previous report that I still feel constriction when I walk.
I am learning to walk normally, heel to toe. Sometimes it feels as if I'm locking my surgical leg.
Possible?
Also, how do I add a picture to a post. I'll show you my knee.
 
I tried to attach a picture of my knee, right now, but the system said the file is too big.
Any advice you can offer?

By the way, I registered for Joint Replacement Awareness Day.
 
First make sure your photo is not bigger than 600x400 pixels
Then just use the black tab "Upload a File" which will open your "My Pictures" on your computer. Choose the picture you want to post and click "Open". That's all
 
Hi Athiker,

I didn't not the essential oils that I am still using.

For pain, I use Copaiba.
My wife who is studying essential oils made me a blend that is specifically formulated to aid recovery from knee replacement surgery.

I'll write soon with the formula after my wife can look it up.
Be back to you soon.
 
I use 2-4 drops each of copaiba, Frankincense, lemongrass and marjoram in a veggie cap for pain relief, but only use pure essential oils that have been independently tested. Please don’t take Oils bought on Amazon or your local discount store internally. They are not pure and could be diluted with solvents that should not be ingested or applied to your skin. Do your research.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Good morning,

I know that this is not the end of my week, but I wanted to reinforce a lesson that I should have learned, not only from experience but from the very wise advice I received from this forum.
"DON'T DO TOO MUCH PT. IT DOESN'T HELP YOU PROGRESS FASTER. IN THIS CASE, MORE IS LESS.

I overextended on Saturday and Sunday, and paid the price.
I did this once before and paid the price then, but I thought that since I'm farther along, I could defy the rules.
NO, NO, NO.

For those of you who are about to have surgery or have just had surgery, the most important advice I can give is
LISTEN TO YOUR KNEE.

I will never make this mistake again.
The discomfort is not worth it.

Have a wonderful and pain free week.
I have registered for the event in April.

Speak to you on Friday.
 
Hi. David has been using the essential oils topically. Use the Copaiba first. Then use a blend of Frankincense, Lavender, Cypress and Rosemary in a roller bottle with Fractionated coconut oil. Use twice a day. Avoid the incision about 6 weeks after surgery unless it has healed. Then we use Lavender and Helichrysum and a blend from doterra (Immortelle) for the scar. For inflammation he uses a curcumin mix twice a day. Just because you are taking the oils internally doesn't negate using them topically. I hope you are on the mend and wish you a speedy recovery.
 
Try following the Activity progression for TKRs. I found that my recovery process closely followed the schedule am due I had little pain until the infection surgery.
I basically do the activity schedule.
The walking is aided because I walk my dog. He is very well trained and does not pull me no matter what the distraction is.
Josephine warned me about doing too much PT, which I sometimes forget if I feel really good. There is always a price to pay.
Thanks for the support.
 
It can be hard to find a balance at 6+ weeks post op. Walking is great for a new knee, just listen to it and you’ll know when it’s too much.
 
Another successful report, which is great news not just for yourself but, to me who will have to endure everything you have in just over ten days.
Keep the reports coming they do make good reading.
Kind regards Dennis.
 
Another successful report, which is great news not just for yourself but, to me who will have to endure everything you have in just over ten days.
Keep the reports coming they do make good reading.
Kind regards Dennis.
Good luck with your surgery.
Hope that the surgery is successful and the recovery goes well.
I was lucky with the pain, but I may be not be the usual.
I had a great surgeon, so that may be part of the reason.
Just listen to the advice from this site.
Manage your pain. Take your meds on schedule. Elevate. Ice.
You don't need to rush.
I found that since the surgery, I am very self centered around my knee. don't know if this is normal, but that's the way it is.
Most important, don't cause yourself pain and don't let anyone else, including your physical therapist, do it to you.
There are great people on this site with a lot of knowledge and experience.
I'm just a newbie reporting on what happens with me.
Glad you enjoy the posts. I'll be happy to help you as much as I can
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom