Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post Op all is well<

Good evening.

Today was my Sabbath, I am an observant Jew.

This gave me time to reflect and arrive at some truths for myself.
Since I have just finished my first week, post-op, I hardly qulalify as experienced enough to give anyone else advise.
I can only relate some of my own reflections as they relate to me.
I should add, that I am a completely healthy person, who does not take any medication of any kind. I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic, my glucose level is 81).
I don't have high blood pressure ( last bp before leaving the hospital was 114/59) and I don't have high cholesterol or triglycirides.

1. This past week reinforced the absolute necessity to manage pain. This means that pain meds need to be taken irrespective of my pain situation.
I take my meds according to a schedule, and thereby am able to manage pain much more effectively.
This simple lesson was brought into bright relief on Friday evening. Because I was feeling good, I delayed taking one of my pain meds. Needless to say, the onset of pain was very sudden, it was much more difficult to overcome the pain.
So, as is emphasized in Bonesmart, take your pain meds on time and in time.

2. Let your body be your guide.
As a former athlete and current coach, it is sometimes difficult to admit that I can't or more properly, shouldn't force my body to my will.
But in this short time, I have learned that I can only do PT within the limits of what my body can tolerate.
Working through pain only results in causing additional inflamation and more swelling.
So rest when your body tells you to rest and work up to pain but do not cause pain.
Fortunately, my physical therapist share is view and is always restraining my natural inclination to work harder no matter what.

3. Attitude: Be positive. At time this is difficult , but may be the most critical element of successful recovery. I you don't think that you can recover successfully, you can't. Don't give in to doubt. Amittedly, this is not always easy, when you basically have learn again to trust your leg, but if you become discouraged or let doubt persist, a good recovery is much more difficult.
If you need help in overcoming pessimision, seek it out, but you must be convinced that you will recover.
Plan your recovery with you PT, and set goals that are reasonable and attainable.
If you hit a wall, reasses where you are and make adjustments.

4. Each person reacts to joint replacement surgery differntly. While reading accounts of other experiences can be instructional, they may not be relevant to you at all.
Your case is unique and because your timeline doesn't conform to a "standard" doesn't mean anything for you.
This doesn't mean that you don't need to work, but your pace and your circumstances don't have to match anyone elses.

That's all I've got for now.
Have a great rest of the weekend
 
And you achieved full range of motion from ADL?
 
That is absolutely fascinating.
What you are saying ia so iconoclastic.
It's mindblowing.
.
 
Hi all,
It's been a little time since I last wrote.
I am now 17 days post surgery.
Had the staples taken out this past Friday. That was not a joy.
I've started PT, which I do two or three times a day.
I am able to straighten my leg and can bend it almost to 90 degrees. This causes some discomfort when I do curls with my leg.
I walk around with the aid of a crutch.
At night, the leg is uncomfortable, but the pain is not as bad as I thought it would be.
Next week, I will start doing PT in the pool.
My major discomfort is in my calf and thigh as the result of swelling and inflammation.
I try not to cause pain in my PT, but it can't always be avoided.
I suppose that my situtation is not too bad.
There is stiffness in my knee when I walk, but I hope that this will resolve itself as the swelling goes down.
 
The areas that I have the most discomfort are the calf and thigh.
Both are swollen and I suspect inflamed. The most problematic is the calf because it keeps me up at night.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have relatively little pain in my knee.
Thanks
 
I'm glad to hear your knee is not giving you a lot of pain. It's quite normal to have pain in the thigh and calf when they are swollen. But you should be able to control it with your pain medications, resting, ice and elevation. If you are doing your therapy exercises 2-3 times a day, it may be too much for this early in your recovery. Why not give them a rest except on the days you go to see your therapist? Also, some types of calf pain can be an indicator of a blood clot, so be sure to mention this to your doctor and have it checked to be sure that's not the case. I doubt that's the problem, though. It just sounds like you are overdoing the activity and exercise right now.
 
Hi Jamie,
Thanks for the reply. I thought that I might be over extending a little.
My knee also hurts when I bend it, probably because I had been doing PT several times a day.
I've decided to cut back and let the leg heal.
I'm taking blood thinner medication, so I also doubt that there is a clot, but I'll mention it to my doctor.
In your experience, I had been taking two different pain meds. One was called Tagrin which contained a narcotic. I've finished this and my family doctor is not anxious to refill this medication.
I took it before bed, and it allowed me to sleep a little. Now that I''ve run out, I don't sleep much as my other pain medication doesn't always relieve the pain in my calf.
Should I have my surgeon refill the pain med with the Oxycodone?
Thanks.
 
Today is 3 week anniversary of surgery.
My general condition is:
1) my leg is mildly swollen and have pain from edema in the calf, shin and thigh.
2) My knee doesn't hurt much except for when I move in certain ways.
3) I've reduced the amount of pain meds, but I take them when I need to.
I am still taking anti-inflammatory and blood thinner meds.
4) my knee bends to 90° and I can completely straighten my leg.
5) I walk throughout the day and am starting to walk unaided.
6) I do my PT, on average, 3 times per day and am mindful not to cause pain.
7) I spend a good part of each day with my leg elevated and iced. Where once I might have thought that this was doing nothing, I know now that I am healing.
8) I don't sleep much at night and wish I had a recliner.

Don't know if my recovery is normal or not, but it is mine.
 
@Schenk: great stuff, reads like you are doing very well all bar the sleep.
I’ll probably throw a big party when I get a decent nights sleep!
Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I love reading your practical approach to recovery. It can seem a slow journey at times, yet all your progress is there! Especially wonderful is your observation that all your time resting, elevating and icing is the work of healing. It really is!
 
Just wanted to relate a hard learned lesson.
On Friday, I over did the PT and activities. Major mistake.
Doing PT into pain resulted in residual pain after the pain meds wear off.
I understand that with the PT, we are trying to progress beyond where we are now, but, this is important, listen to your body.
A little discomfort might be ok, real pain is definitely not.
Learn the difference.
I heard a physical therapist in the hospital tell me that pain is not an indication of injury.
As an athlete and coach, I don't agree. We are not looking to cause pain.
Don't do it.
Have a great week.
 
I am sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way. Just about every one of us have done too much and suffer for it afterwards. But, now you know! Experience is the best teacher!
 
Experience is always the best teacher.
Thanks
 
I am now beginning my fifth week.
Hard to believe.
The only pain I have is in my calf and shin from edema.
It is very annoying.
My wife puts an essential oil blend on my leg that is specifically for knee replacement.
Not a big believer in alternative treatment, but the stuff works.
It has reduced the swelling.
She also gave me some stuff for pain which also works very well.
I do my PT, but not to pain.
I'm past 90° bend and am walking without aids in the house.
I walk outside 2-3 times per day.
Still a long way to go, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
Most difficult time of day is at night.
Still not sleeping well but I don't stress about it. Sleep comes when it does.
Most important, I only go as far as my knee allows.
Trust the process.
Will update again next week.
Keep your spirits up.
It is hard to do, but essential for a successful recovery..
 
Hi @Schenk, what is the oil blend and what is it’s purpose? I’m open to any ideas to aid in recovery outside of the ruthless PT.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi Juzzy,

I'm going to give this to my wife who is really into essential oils.

You'll need to get good quality oils.
The oils won't replace the PT, which I do as well, but they help with the healing and pain.
At least they did me.
David
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've reread all of f your messages to me, and now realize how really important they are.
Now that I have completed a full month since the surgery, your advice has brought me the calm that comes from the knowing that I'm not alone.
My fear of missing the window of opportunity has passed completely.
I don't stress from not sleeping at night and just sleep whenever it comes. My knee has improved significantly and am virtually pain free.
The only discomfort I have is from edema in my calf and ankle.
This is pretty much under control.
I do do PT but don't cause myself pain.
My physical therapist also believes this, so I am fortunate.
Any, thanks for your help and support.
I am taking things one day at a time.
Listen to your knee is the smartest advice that I could give.
Also, take your pain meds. Pain is an enemy to recovery.
Speak to you next week.
 
What a good and sensible post you have given! You should have a very good recovery!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom