Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post Op all is well<

Due to complications I wasn’t allowed to bend my new TKR for a month, which did lengthen my recovery. I was released from PT with a ROM of 109, however my ROM continued to improve a year or more after my TKR. At 18 months post op I was swimming in an indoor hotel pool and realized I was squatting. So I continued to gain well after a year.
 
I'm interested to learn what they say about the so-called window of opportunity - because they are quite wrong. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a TKR. We even had one person on here who discovered her ROM had increased at 3 years post-op.
Look at these examples:
This is Campervan's experience:
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"

And this is from bertschb:
"I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM."
 
Don't fret about "deadlines." It sounds like you are having a good start to your recovery. Rest, ice and elevation and a little walking around (to the bathroom,etc.) for the early days and over the weeks you'll do more activity as the knee allows. It's really a "one day at a time" recovery. Just listen to the knee and you'll be fine. :wink:
 
Today is day 5 post surgery.
The surgeon has prescribed a pain management coctail of pain meds, which I am taking.
So far, the pain management is successful. On a level of 1-10, my average pain level is 2.
There are exceptions, of course.
Still only doing some ROM, work and blood flow exercises.
I do as much walking around the house as I can.
Lots of laying down and icing.
Sleep comes when it comes.
I'll be backed soon to provide updates.
Before closing, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude and appreciation for your concern and advice.
I understand that there is long process before me, but I am determined to achieve full use of my knee.
Thanks again.
 
What I realize is that despite some commanality, recovery from surgery is very individual.
In the end, you need to be positive
In my case, I was operated on by perhaps the best joint replacement surgeon in Israel.
So the best advice I can give is trust your doc and be positive.
 
Keep those positive thoughts going. Sometimes it's hard, but it really helped me. So glad you are doing well.
 
So glad your recovery is going well Schenk. You are correct, recovery is very individual; moreover, the recovery from two different knee replacements in the same person can be quite different as well - as was my experience. Let your body be the guide. And to further others' comments about the so-called "window of opportunity" - I too, was gaining flexion well after the 6-month mark.

@SherrieT - good luck. Keep studying the materials here. Going with the bilateral is, in my view, great if both need to be done. My hips were bilateral; the knees were supposed to be, but my body had different plans, so righty is 7 weeks older than lefty!
 
They don't discuss an MUA.
Just that one needs to work through the pain.

Is it ok not to want to do anything for one day?
 
Is it ok not to want to do anything for one day?
It's OK to not want to do anything for many days. You are recovering from major surgery. You do not need to push or "work through any pain". Rest, ice and elevate. Listen to your knee. This recovery takes tons of energy. Please do not feel guilty about resting when you need to.
 
Rest is the very best thing for you for the first month out, and sleep! Sleep as much as you can, whenever you can!
 
Naps are great parts of the healing process. We so often in our lives are so busy we don't take time to relax. I told myself I had "permission to nap" with the tkrs. :heehee:

My view of statements like "work through the pain" is that they think we expect recovery to be painless. Of course it isn't. But with listening to the knee and backing off the activity when the knee says so :wink: you can avoid needless additional pain and swelling. My PT wanted me to do exercises (and I did) but also said if it causes you more pain, it's ok to back off--do fewer or skip that particular one for a while. It is a very individual process.
Most of us find that once the swelling starts to come down the bend goes up!

You are very right that a good surgeon and a positive attitude go a long way.
 
Here I am, day 6 post op.
I am still doing the PT that I did in the hospital.
I go long periods, relatively, pain free.
As per your advice, I take the pain meds regardless of my pain level.
Since it works, I'm going to continue
I don't feel pressured to achieve ROM gains, but will proceed in accordance with my body.

Your advice is invaluable.
Thanks.
 
Day 6 and already you are seeing good results. Well done! Just keep on doing what you are doing. It's working!
 
What a wonderful 2018 you will have with your new knee!
 
Today, I am one week from surgery.
The physical therapist visited me today and examined my leg.
She is pleased that the swelling is limited to knee area.
My ROM is good.
She also doesn't believe in working through pain.
She doesn't believe that PT should cause pain.
So far so good.
As we close this week k, I, once again, want to express my heartfelt thanks for all your help and support.
 
Great news, @Schenk! It sounds like you have figured out how to do it. You are a good example for the rest of us. Happy New Year!
 
Thanks, but all I'm doing is following the advice of my doctor and Bonesmart.
I'm very fortunate that my pain management is going well.
Also fortunate to have had the best quality medical care available in Israel.
All I can say is, take the pain meds on schedule, do your work, and stay positive.
 
So happy to read your story. It gives me a lot of hope. Congrats! May I say Mazel tov?
 
All I can say is, take the pain meds on schedule, do your work, and stay positive.
You don't have to work your knee. ADL, (activities of daily living), is all you need to do to rehab your knee. Working your knee can actually slow down recovery because it keeps it inflamed, swollen and painful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom