Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Excellent, that's what I'd expect (being a smartarse). The theory is that short, gentle stretches have the required extending effect, long-duration tough stretches cause reactive tightening and consequent pain.
I am wondering then, is it better to not hold a quad stretch? At PT today the therapist had me lay on my stomach with my foot in a band and bend my knee as far to my butt as I could and hold for 30 seconds. I did this 10 times easch side alternating legs. I am 11 1/2 weeks out from BTKR. I am in alot of pain tonight and have alot of swelling.
 
Hi newkneesbarb - holy smokes I just about had a heart attack, I read your post as 1.5 weeks, not 11.5 weeks. Ok I can breathe now. I am 7 weeks out and took a "kneecation" from PT today. On Monday I did squats on a sliding board for the first time and that followed by my first work meeting on Tuesday, I could hardly walk yesterday and just needed a break. Many have said fewer more often is a better option. If you are in pain and swollen I would be sure to let the PT know it was too much. My problem is sometimes I feel great while I"m at PT only to find out we went too far when I'm sore and swollen the next day. Fortunately my PT really listens and adjusts accordingly. Hope yours will do the same.
Stacie
 
The theory is that short, gentle stretches have the required extending effect, long-duration tough stretches cause reactive tightening and consequent pain.
I am wondering then, is it better to not hold a quad stretch? At PT today the therapist had me lay on my stomach with my foot in a band and bend my knee as far to my butt as I could and hold for 30 seconds. I did this 10 times easch side alternating legs. I am 11 1/2 weeks out from BTKR. I am in alot of pain tonight and have alot of swelling.
30secs is about right, and multiple repetitions is correct too.

BUT if that causes your swelling or pain (i.e. it gets worse in the 24 hours after PT), do less. Fewer repetitions, shorter hold time.

Dislaimer: Just so everyone's clear, I am not a qualified physiotherapist. I've just a good belt of experience, and I read a lot.
 
Good Evening All

Time to celebrate another little victory - made my first full rotation on my recumbent exercise bike and managed to pedal slow and steady for 5+ minutes!!!!! Seems my "kneecation" on Monday from PT was beneficial. I am now 7 weeks post-op BTKR - cannot believe it has been 51 days. I also made a small venture to my office for the first time since surgery. I was only there for 1.5 hours to take care of some paperwork and other had to cover projects, hardly seemed like I had been gone at all. Biggest issue it is an old high school so halls are long, bathroom is the other end of the hall and it is a long walk to the car. I know I'm on the right path to stay at home the rest of the month working part time from my couch. Also, thru many of the sleep deprived threads saw that folks sometimes add Benadryl for a little extra help sleeping. Took it and managed 4.5 hours in a row, still better on the couch, but it was so much nicer than the 1.5 hour naps the two nights before.

Best wishes to you all on your slow and steady journeys - enjoy your weekend. We are expecting sunny awesome fall weather here in Bucky Country. Go Badgers!!!

Stacie
 
Tomorrow is my 2 month anniversary post BTKR!! Had the PT size my adjustable cane and show me how to use it safely since I am mostly walking around the house unassisted except for the occasional piece of furniture. Even made him assist me on a real flight of stairs - not the set of 3 in the PT gym. I only have two steps at home to get into the house, but really wanted to know if I could begin trying to go downstairs at my house. The beauty of "not doing steps" is that my kids continue to do all the laundry :) ROM continues to be slow and steady with my right being my problem child - 112/0 left and 99/2 right. Since I have started to do my recumbent bike every couple days, made a big jump on the right this week. My OS has no concerns and doesn't want to see me until Dec. He did ask for me to work on cutting back on the pain meds, which seems to be going ok especially since I can now take ibuprofen after being done with the warfarin. I really thought walking would be easier by now, just wish I could lose the tight band feeling. I don't have too much pain other than a twinge here or there or if I do to much and make the knees swell - just that dang tight feeling. Sleep in the amount of 3 hours is so much better than 1-2, but it has been elusive lately. Sometimes wonder if it has to do with too much activity, the more I can do, the more I try to do and most days I know it is too much. The OS cleared me to go back to work full time for Oct, but even though when I saw him on Sept. 13th and asked him to release my hours, I thought I would have made bigger improvements over the past two weeks. I'm on the fence now trying to decide if I should extend my four hour days for a few more weeks. Before you all become upset with me, please know I have the luxury to work from home and even if I do return to my office part time, I can ice, elevate, etc at will. I have a very flexible position that I can do a lot from my computer. My only restriction will be the driving required for school visits and meetings. We use a lot of distance technology so even much of that can be managed from home. My big concern is that I'm still not sleeping consistently. I'm worried I will be too tired to focus during the day. But then the other side of my brain says maybe you will be more tired and get into a more regular sleep pattern. Anyone have a crystal ball they can lend me to keep me out of the ODIC?

Sleep well my friends :sleep:
Stacie
 
Since I have started to do my recumbent bike every couple days
If you want to use the bike to gain flexion, I suggest you turn the pedals many times a day, but only for 20-30sec on zero resistance. When you feel no stretch in the knee, move the saddle very slightly nearer the pedals.
just wish I could lose the tight band feeling.
gentle stretches, many times a day for 20-30sec, will help with that.
 
Thanks for the suggestions Roy Roy Gardiner I will try to do shorter rides more frequently and see how that goes.

Officially 2 months today - used my cane to go to PT for first time and all went well. I think I'm going to like it a lot more than my walker because it is much less cumbersome. Will keep the walker around just in case for longer or more difficult walks.

Slow and steady progress continues left improved to 115 today and finally broke thru 100 on the right with a long awaited 102!! Extension is good and now consistently between 0-2 for both knees depending on the day. Am up to 10 minutes on the "Nu-step" recumbent stair machine with increased resistance and did 2 sets of 20 "squats" on the slide board.

Had enough energy left this evening to venture into my basement for the first time in 8 weeks. YIKES!! :groan: Kind of messy from the kids, but nothing they can't clean up in a short time before we have company this weekend. Going to watch the Badger vs. Ohio State game and enjoy a few :cheers: with good friends.

Have been struggling with my decision to go back full time early Oct. even with being able to work from home so tomorrow will contact my OS to do two more weeks at part time. It just feels right. I sure don't want a major set-back now. Will ask for "up to 20 hours per week" rather than "4 hours per day" so I can work in some longer days yet be able to recover the next day if needed.

Stacie
 
Am up to 10 minutes on the "Nu-step" recumbent stair machine with increased resistance and did 2 sets of 20 "squats" on the slide board.
These are training rather than healing exercises; they don't help with healing. If they work for you well and good, but if you get any swelling or stiffness in the 24 hours after doing them, cut back.
 
Day 61 post BTKR and I drove for the first time and was so amazed I had no pain at all!! Yipee, one more hurdle crossed!! I was even able to get in and out without moving the seat back. I have done a few half days in my office and will now be able to drive myself so I won't need to rely on finding a driver. The feeling of independence is exhilarating!! I am now walking with only a cane when out and about and not much at all while at home. Still using the motorized carts for bigger store outings. Many folks said the 8 week mark was a big turning point and I would have to agree. I have been able to significantly reduce my pain med usage and even after a busy weekend, was up and at 'em early this morning. I have even managed to sleep in the bed for the whole night the last 2 nights - still wake up a few times, but easier to return to sleep and typically only getting out of bed once to move a bit.

To those of you considering bilateral surgery, I am so glad I had both done. My rehab is even, my gait is even and the pain / stiffness is decreasing daily. Good luck to everyone with your own journey...

All my best,
Stacie
 
Stacie you are having a faster recovery than I am, but I am so happy for you!:flwrysmile:
 
Stacie so glad you are doing so well.
 
Tomorrow will be 10 weeks for me. PT going well almost totally straight both legs ROM 118L / 111R and today I'm down in the dumps. How does that happen? Tried my first one hour drive to Madison followed by a 5 hour meeting and was fine until I got about 20 minutes from home and fell apart. Yes I know its too much but how will I know if I don't try? Having a why did I do this kind of day. The more I can do the more I want and it is never fast enough. Have an opportunity to go to Badger Hockey two rows behind the players bench and am scared to death all the steps will be too much. If I don't go will miss out on a rare awesome opportunity. Anyone have a crystal ball they can lend me? How about a hovercraft that does stairs? Bought a lottery ticket today maybe I can retire tomorrow.... Thanks for listening. Been a long day and already past my bedtime :sleep:
Stacie
 
Stacie I hope you can go. Maybe get a wheelchair? I haven't been to a badger game in forever some dont remember the setup. How far is Madison from where you live again.
 
Hi Tweet25
That's a good idea about the wheelchair - maybe I could borrow one from St. Vinnie's medical equipment closet - did get an awesome cane / sling chair thing that opens into a chair which will be handy to have around. I could use the wheel chair for getting to and from the game since it is homecoming weekend so even with my disability pass, parking may be an issue. Only thing if I have the wheelchair, I won't be able to go down to the awesome seats right behind the bench. Hubby can drop me off at the door so may do my best to rest up all day. Have you set a date for your surgery?

Stacie
 
Hi Stacie I hope you get to go. It would be awesome for you. I went and saw a new ortho today and he was great. He said he would like to do a a parital menicectomy (SP?) and give me some time. He said I was way to youn to have the surgery and I still have some cartlidge left. I just don't want to be in pain anymore. They were willing to do more shot but he doesn't think that will help me because my main pain is where the tear is. Hopefully this will help. Did you ever have that?

Robyn
 
Hi Robyn
Have you had any other knee surgeries? I had 3 with a variety of repairs - I had meniscus tears in both knees and extensive cartilage damage in both by the time I had my first arthroscopy to clean them out. I also had significant bone spurs as well which caused my knees to catch, lock up and make a horrible ratcheting sound. Surgery and shots bought me 10 years - once they were cleaned up along with cortisone I initially got 18 months relief which eventually got shorter and shorter. At the time I had my first surgery in 2002, my OS took pictures and showed me I was already bone on bone in multiple locations. The first thing he said to me in recovery was "that was worse than I expected". He told me then he thought I would make it until about 45 before I would need replacements. I like to tease him he was wrong - I was 46 by one week :heehee:
Good luck with your knew OS,
Stacie
 
Stacie I have never had any other knee surgeries. This will be my first which is why is suggested it. I done tons of crotizone shots and one set of orthovisc which did help but the pain is mostly on the right side of my right knee and that is where he said I had a major tear so maybe the surgery will help it. He really doens't want to do knee replacment on me at 45 and to be honest I am not ready for it. I really freak out when it comes to surgeries. I had 3 fibroid surgeries, IVF and hysterectomy so I have been though alot in my 45 years. I am not ready to have such a extensive recovery with TKR. Hopefully this will give me 10 years and I can still do the shots for arthritis if I need to. So how was your repair. How long were you off work etc.. Any advice??
 
For my arthroscopies each was pretty short - nothing more than a long weekend or a week off. Driving took a little bit for my right knee, but not only a couple weeks. Pain meds will be the big driving issue - for me luckily they work opposite so no sleepy haze for me. After my first one I felt tons better and had many years of relief. I'm not a doc by any stretch but if they know you have a tear, by all means try to clean it out first. I'm a little surprised your first OS would say knee replacement before ever doing a clean out - crazy. Each time I had 3 incisions and they are less than 1/4 inch each. You should be up and about pretty quick. Wish I had known about the BS mantra of ice and elevation. Thinking back that would have provided good relief even for the arthroscopies. Good luck with that - come back and see us when you need the big hardware :)
Take care,
Stacie
 
Morning BS buddies,
Need some input from those of you who are further ahead on your recovery journeys... A beautiful fall is coming to Wisconsin but today is rainy and cold and my pain is more intense, close to 7-8, than it has been in weeks. My legs are throbbing where the lower prosthetic piece is attached to the tibia. I've actually been taking it easier the last couple days trying to slow myself down so don't think it's over activity. Anyone else experience weather related changes? Any suggestions for relief other than upping meds?
Thanks
Stacie
 
Hi Nomorepain67 There are days like this. Last week I had a day with 0 pain and I thought wow! I've turned the corner. I did very little all that day and went to bed one very happy camper. When I woke up the next morning the pain was worse than it had been for days. :shrug: There were a few days of increased discomfort and then days of decreasing pain even though my activity level was greater. May be the weather or the recovery roller coaster.:snork: Today I was busy but the pain level is about 1 and it's cold and damp outside.
Every week things get a little better. The zaps are almost gone, I don't get quite as tight and on Sunday I found my knee cap on my right knee that I hadn't seen for 2 years! :happydance:
wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom