Bilateral TKR Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanda we are only days apart from surgery and I also just found my knee caps. :heehee: I had thought my knees weren't swollen, they sure didn't look swollen at all, but I guess they must have been because I couldn't see any knee caps even though I knew they were there. Both of them just suddenly appreared. :) I can't stop touching them because I'm so surprised.
 
Hi Wanda My way
So happy to hear you found your knee cap after 2 years :) It was a rough day over all, but PT went well and we even added a few new exercises. Despite the pain had better range left and a little back on the right. So happy you are having more and more zero pain days. I'm still waiting patiently, but most days around a 2-3. Sleep is so much better I am thankful for that.
Have a restful night,
Stacie
 
Hi scaredinCA
So glad your knee caps reappeared too!!! So glad we can share in these little milestones.
Hugs
Stacie
 
Stacie isn't it funny to say you are glad we found our knee caps!! :rotfl: I have the giggles over that one.
 
Hello Bonesmart friends
I cannot believe I will be at 12 weeks this Thursday - an amazing 82 day journey. To all of those just beginning - hang in there, it does get better despite the ups and downs. I went back to work 20 hours a week rather than 4 hours per day and was utterly surprised at how much harder that was for me. This week I will fly for the first time. I do have the extended row behind first class and will be traveling with a co-worker. Hope all goes well.

My biggest struggle right now is trying to keep myself from doing too much - I'm not doing so well - seems I've lost my knee caps a bit - they seem to be hidden in the dang swelling I am having due to staying in the ODIC. Despite my over activity - today at PT I walked on a tread mill for the first time at a 1.0 mph rate. I had never really used a tread mill before so was amazed how much more steady I could walk than with my cane. Guessing it had something to do with the handles on the sides :) It was so nice to be able to "leg it out" without pain.

Seems I got a little too much "information" at a local brewery fest on Saturday :cheers: but the biggest part of the day was being able to participate for 4 hours with my cane and cane/sling chair walking on uneven ground and sawdust. I did my best to sit as much as possible, but it was so great to be out and about with friends and participating in a weekend I sat out last year because of pain from my knees and being the one year anniversary of my mom's passing.

Those daily victories keep me going - I am also seeing less trouble from the "rubberband" syndrome - quads still tight, but not nearly like they were before.

Best wishes to you all,
Stacie
 
nothing much to add here, except thank ya'll for sharing your experiences. It's good to know I'm not the only one who is not sleeping more than 3 hours at a stretch- thought maybe I was just strange. Last night, slept till one, up till 7:30, and then slept again til 11. Am I the only one who finds this boring as well as painful? I have no concentration, probably from lack of sleep, and I am so SICK and tired of thinking about my knee caps, LOL. Never have we been so well acquainted!
 
:) Yes we do get obsessed with our knees in all their aspects, don't we?
 
Hello All

111 days, 15 weeks or 3.5 months - hard to believe they are the same thing yet seem so different. Where does the time go? It has been an amazing journey and what a difference in perspective that time and healing brings. Early on I was here at BoneSmart several times a day wondering what the heck I was thinking to go bilateral. Now I'm lucky if I get here every few weeks. As many have described I am continually moving toward my new normal. I've been back to work full time going on 3 weeks. Even though I could ice at work, I only need to do so every few days or when I over do it. I truly believe having both done had its perks but particularly related to balance. I did not have much difficulty and I think part of that relates to recovery of both evenly.

I need to travel for work and on Monday I made my first two hour drive with an all day meeting and return trip. Other than being tired I have no pain or issues with driving. YIPEE!! Oh the freedom! Guess what scaredinCA I actually did make the transition to the floor this weekend to play with the kids. I didn't kneel to get down and used my arms to push up onto a chair but what a great feeling to know I could do it. Had plenty of big guys to haul me up had I needed :shocked: When I think of "squatting" in therapy, I cringe but realize that is exactly what I'm doing when playing in the garden, getting something out of a low cabinet, etc. Even climbed 2 steps on my step ladder to paint some trim.

For the most part knee pain is minimal, mostly related quad or calve pain - actually aggravated my planters fasciitis the last couple weeks - my knees didn't hurt but I was limping because I couldn't put any weight on my foot - go figure. I continue with PT once a week and range has stayed close to 125 both knees but I don't have to work to get there. I can get into a lunge on the stairs with no warm up or pushing. When the PT first suggested it I thought he was nuts - actually gave me a much better bend than on a chair or table.

Tonight I rode my stationary bike for 30 minutes with some resistance added and the seat moved forward. Six weeks ago I wouldn't have believed it and for the first time in more than 10 years I am using exercise to relax rather than tequila :martini: Ok I still use the tequila but it sure does feel great to be doing something that resembles exercise :dancy:

All my best to each of you,
Stacie
 
Congrats to you Stacie. I'm at 4 months and have no idea what my ROM is by now. My numbers weren't as high as yours though. I'm functioning better and able to walk places that I haven't walked in years! Bilateral is the way to go isn't it!!! My balance is a bit off so I'm careful, but its my own fault for not doing my exercises lately. I"m happy for you and think its great that you are 125 in both knees.. Keep up the good work and get down on that floor with your kiddies and have fun.......
 
Hi Deb scaredinCA
Keep your eye on the prize and keep track of your improved function - that's what it's all about any way. The whole reason we put ourselves thru this in the first place. As I went to the floor I was laughing inside of all the visions folks had shared of getting stuck and having a variety of assistance to get up. At least you found your knee caps, mine are still half hidden because I'm too stubborn to slow down and take it easy so can never get all of the swelling to go away.
Hugs
Stacie
 
Today marks my 4 month birthday for my new knees. Seems my slacker right leg decided to finally catch up with my left, celebrated with 130 ROM in both last week. Find myself in the ODIC this weekend but what a great weekend. Got to go to the Badger / Penn State football game yesterday, made the half mile walk to & from the stadium, all the stadium steps & the up & down in your seat to let people thru. Today did the laundry, put up holiday lights and several other activities. Most days pain is minimal and I can do more every day. At 4 months out thought I would be all recovered, definitely did not have the right time line expectation pre-surgery. But I count my blessings every day that I could chose to do something to minimize my pain. A dear friend in her late 40s is battling stage 4 liver & colon cancer. Her kids are 15 & 18. I cannot imagine her stress worrying about them and the journey she is facing thru intensive chemo and other aggressive treatments. In a few short months she has lost more than 50 pounds and looks so tired. Sp BS friends, in this holiday season count your blessings despite the ups and downs and say a prayer for those less fortunate than us.
All my best,
Stacie
 
130? That is awesome! And your poor friend has certainly put things in perspective for you. I'm so pleased you can celebrate at last.
 
Thanks for your update Stacie. Sorry to hear about your friend, it does put things in a different light. I'm also 4 months out but my legs haven't changed much in these months. Maybe the physical therapist was right when she said maybe my legs are set now. We'll see. Your numbers are great!!!!
 
I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. I'll say some prayers for your friend. It is sad to see wonderful people have to go through so much. I'm glad she has you to lean on. God bless you both.
 
Happy New Year BoneSmart buddies!! :martini: Happy 5 month anniversary for my new knees. Yesterday was also my 21st wedding anniversary. It's amazing how quickly the post surgery time goes. Most things are back to normal and almost every day I am thankful for my new knees. Much of my heaviness & tight band feeling is gone. I have noticed now that life is too busy I have some increased stiffness but I can go & go with minimal issues. Only 2 PT visits left. Who knew I really can do squats & lunges, a little awkward at first since its been so long, but coming along nicely. My New Year's resolution is to make myself and riding my bike a priority. For the first time in ten years I plan to make exercise part of my routine. December has brought record cold to Wisconsin, some days the cold bothers my knees, other days not so much. Was amazed I can shovel snow without pain, what a wonderful thing since I love the winter!!:snow dig:

Wishing all of you healing thoughts, progress toward your new normal and a fabulous 2014!!
Stacie
 
Glad to read your update Stacie and to hear that you are doing well. I'm six months out now and can do most things with no problem.. My left knee extension still isn't at 0 though. :sad: And my left knee bend isn't what it should be yet. Hopefully in time it will improve.
 
Great update!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post BTKR---Can we compare notes?
Just a great update, @Nomorepain67! Given enough time and patience, we do get there, don't we? It's wonderful when we can finally say that we love our new knees.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Hello All

Where does the time go? I can't believe I am approaching my 9 month anniversary!! As many have said before it is amazing when you reach the point where your knees no longer rule your life. I have some stiffness and discomfort at times but nothing like before surgery. My greatest accomplishment to date is I can now climb the 69 stairs to my office several times a day and other than being slightly out of breathe from not exercising for years :tiredwheel: it is a great feeling!! I can also now keep pace or walk faster than my kids and when we went to Jamaica I walked every day and wasn't bothered by walking in the sand barefoot or with my flip flops on :surfer:

Here's my question for those of you leading the way - did you continue to take joint supplements like glucosamine after your surgery? I did for several months post surgery, but when I ran out a month ago I decided to try some time without them and do believe some of my increased stiffness and reduced flexibility may be related. Any insights?

All my best,
Stacie
 
Here's my question for those of you leading the way - did you continue to take joint supplements like glucosamine after your surgery?
Nope---not at all---my metal-on-plastic implants were not impacted at all by the lack of supplements---to be honest, I do not believe that a supplement would work on metal or plastic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom