Guest viewing is limited

TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Enjoying my first full day at home. My preferred PT came at 8 am for the first workout of the knee. We did a few exercises, and she massaged the ligaments, which was mildly painful but will be oh so helpful. I removed the elastic bandages last night to check things out. Everything looks good. At 10 am, the home health nurse stopped in to get me checked into their system. She brought me replacement bandages but recommended I keep the original on as long as possible for the infection-fighting properties of the aluminum.

I bought the motor for my CryoCuff, and that makes a huge difference in it's value to me. The manual method gets so tedious moving the ice water in and out of the cuff as to be almost worthless. In fact, the hospital staff was comical to watch as they tried to figure the thing out. I tried to show them how to use it (the instructions are clearly on the outside of the cooler), but eventually, it became more entertaining to watch them do it their way. They'd fill the cuff, separate it from the hose, then wrap it around my knee, leaving the cooler across the room, rendering it useless to me. The motor keeps the water cycling through the cuff, so it's always cold. At least until my bottles of ice melt. Then I swap them with three more I have in the freezer.

I'm moving easily with the walker. It's cumbersome in the house (the door to the kitchen is narrower and requires a little ingenuity to get it in there). I may be switching to a crutch soon for ease of movement. Each day, the knee feels better. I've been lifting to try to do heel slides, but today I was able to do some. I've been tightening the quads to try to lift the leg on its own, and I was able to do that a little today. We started the PT session at a little over 90 and finished at a little over 100. My PT was happy, but I figure that's likely a measurement error. We worked a little on extension, too. Prior to surgery, extension was 10. I think we're better than that now.

I'm nestled in my nest and sleeping as needed. I'm taking medication as scheduled. I'm experiencing virtually no pain. When I do notice it, pain is in the 2-3 range and upon trying to get the quads working, it goes to 4-5 range until I stop trying to do what I need to do. Walking around is not a problem.

I slept moderately well last night. As I mentioned yesterday the poop fairy has visited and continues to visit. So far, so good for this recovery. I'm pleased with the start. Swelling, so far appears to be moderate. Bruising is beginning to show, but it's not bad. OS said with the mess inside the knee, he had to put the soft tissues under a lot of trauma to get everything cleaned out, and that's what it feels like. The knee is not as hot as I expected it to be.

I'll be back later with more updates.
 
Happy to hear you are doing well and have little pain, most days your knee will get a little better better.
 
Sounds like things are progressing right along. So very glad to hear that. Hang in there it'll get a little better each day.
 
I am so happy for you that you are home and everything is working out smoothly. I hope you have a relatively pain free recovery.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm ver glad that you are progressing so well. You are on your way to have a set of pain free knees.
 
Great to read that you are home and doing well. :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)
Last year on the left. This year on the right.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Wow! Jean, it's not too swollen! Looks really good! Keep icing and elevating!
 
That's an interesting looking dressing. I just had a thin strip down the middle and then gauze over it and an soft elastic thingy around the whole knee.
 
I had the waterproof bandage, but was too tired to take a shower that first week. My in home nurse took that off after that and said it was closed enough to shower. I waited a few more days and did just that. It felt so good! It doesn't look like you have a lot of swelling. Great! That's one less thing to cause you discomfort.
 
Apparently this is an aluminum bandage and has lots of infection-fighting properties. It is waterproof. Everyone says to keep it on as long as possible. It is beginning to come undone at the bottom, so it may not make it to my appointment on Friday.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I've never heard of that. Sounds like something all of us should have had!
 
I had that dressing after the TKR and the washout surgery, Jean. I loved it because I didn't want to see the wound at all, so it was literally 2 weeks before I saw it. It really helped in not feeling my pants, sheets etc.
 
I had that dressing as well, mine started to come off so I just stuck it down with some sterry tape try and keep it on as long as you can it's good for the wound. You knee dose look good

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
One week post TKR. I showered, dressed, and took myself outside for a short walk around the yard. Came in and climbed into my chair with ice packs. Time for a nap.

My husband asked what I was going to do today. I told him a short walk outside and my laundry. He asked if he should bring his down. I told him I may not get to it today, but if he brought it downstairs, I'd get to it when I could. Two loads of laundry in progress.

I know I'm not supposed to do this, but it's easier to break laundry, dishes, and litter boxes into small pieces and do them myself than listen to the groans of agony my husband makes if I ask him to do it. Slow as I am, it's actually quicker to do it myself.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
If the laundry is convenient I never thought it was a huge deal to throw a load in when getting up, then in the dryer when getting up another time. My laundry is in the basement as is my garage, so when I'd go to pt I'd drag a basket down stairs and throw a load in, then in the dryer upon my return. Then it would sit in the dryer until the next time someone came in or I left the house again. Then folding is easy to do while sitting/elevating.

Hope you're feeling well with little pain.
 
It is convenient, KarriB. Right in the kitchen. I am feeling well with little pain. The dishes, laundry, and litter boxes aren't too big a deal, so I haven't had any expectations that my husband would do them this time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing very well. You are lucky to have good access to everything you need to do. I have my washer/dryer in my family room so it worked out well for me too.
 
It is much easier to go ahead and do things ourselves than hoping someone else will see it needs being done, and do it. It's amazing what some people never see those things that need to be taken care of. Maybe we have spoiled them!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom