TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Great to hear from you, and so soon after. Hope your recovery goes well, and you can beat back that hospitalist and his posse of overly aggressive "no pain no gain" groupies.
 
Glad the TKR is behind you, just say "Yes, Dear" to the hospitalist, and do what you know is right.
Though you will get moving, so you can move right of that hospital.
 
First full day with the new knee beginning. OS should be visiting in the next half hour or so.

I'm down to a handful of "attachments." They put me on the CPM at four am. Set for a nice gentle 50.

I was shocked to have no interruptions by staff last night. I work up at two and put in the request for my 1:45 Norco dose.

Pain is mostly in the 2-3 range. Quads are really sore. I'm able to do a baby heel slide and I'm tightening the quads periodically.

I brought two bags of M&Ms for the staff. My nurse reported they were all gone within the hour!

I'm anticipating the urinary catheter will be pulled early this morning and I'll be up and walking at least once today.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It sounds like you had a good night last night, that's wonderful. I didn't have a catheter, I'm sure you'll be happy when yours is out. I had hospital PT twice on my first full day, both times they took me for a short walk, it was a strange feeling knowing I was walking on my new knee. Have a smooth, painless day today :flwrysmile:
 
Doc made here. He told me the old knee was an awful mess. Lots of bone spurs and bone on bone. I'm glad to be moving forward. Catheter is out. One last bag of antibiotics going in now. Breakfast should be here at 7.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
At least you didn't have to worry about the bathroom or a bedpan.
My TKR had no catheter so I was forced to use a bed pan :no-fin:. Don't ever want to do that again. I kept telling the nurse I found hold it a long time because I was a teacher. Well, I didn't take the IV into consideration. Lifting onto the bedpan was painful and I do remember apologizing for my large bottom as well as worrying that is overflow the bedpan and have a mess in my bed. :heehee: Infection surgery had a catheter and it was marvelous to not worry.

Just thought you needed a little humor on your first double titanium knee day, Jean!
 
Grin!

I prefer the catheter for the first 24 hours, too. One less thing to worry about.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I had no catheter BUT my bladder wasn't emptying properly and they catheterized me five times before discharge! I went home with a UTI - no wonder. They wanted to send me home with a Foley catheter and my doctor said NO WAY. He felt the bladder would come around in time and it did. Ugh. Hospitals are not a fun place. You'll be so happy to be home.
 
I also had the catheter and it was really a relief to not have to worry about a bed pan. I've always had problems with those! And it seems like almost as soon and I used it, I'd have to go again and would have to call the nurse! When the catheter was removed I requested a bedside potty, which they eventually brought. That was my first step to freedom; using the potty all by myself!
 
I hope to be discharged from the hospital today. Understandably, my OS wants to see me first, and he hasn't been in.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
No sign of the OS. If we don't get this done in the next hour, it's not going to happen, because the pharmacies close.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
How discouraging when you are all ready to go! I hope if not tonight, then first thing tomorrow.

I just watched a documentary on the plight of the polar bears in Alaska. I wondered if somehow you loved polar bears. They are such majestic animals and cute too. I know there are no polar bears in West Texas. :heehee:
 
OS was in surgery all day. He got here at four. He's done all the paperwork for me to go home tomorrow. Everything is all set.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
FloridaGal, I do love polar bears.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom