TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

So why not tell the nurse not to come? It sounds like a waste of time, for her as well as for you.

Different health systems are interesting. I was discharged from hospital with just an appointment for 2 weeks, to have my sutures removed. No in-home visits from anyone, although my surgeon told me to phone him or his stand-in at any time, if I was concerned.

When my wound leaked and I considered it needed to be re-dressed, I phoned my GP's rooms (PCP) and his nurse made me an appointment for that day, for her to change the dressing. That was all the after care I needed.
 
I think my experience with the left knee last year has prepared me for handling the energy drain. I don't feel as if I notice it as much this year. I do nap frequently, and I've mostly planned that into my schedule. Either that or my vitamin and supplement regimen is helping reduce the energy drain (I didn't have a vitamin and supplement regimen last year with quality supplements).

I'm doing much more than recommended at this point in recovery (so don't feel as if you should be doing these things at home), but I am balancing the activity with rest. Today, I've unloaded the dishwasher, loaded it with a few things from the sink, washed, dried, folded, and put away two loads of clothes, and did a brief grocery shopping (with the electric cart). Mr. L took me to breakfast, and I propped my leg onto another chair. I watched a movie and took a nap (maybe an hour or more). I still need to scoop litter boxes. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.

The knee is bending much better than I anticipate at this point. I'm able to prop it up briefly against the arm of the recliner at the top of a heel slide. I tried to put the walker away yesterday, but I took it out again last night when I experienced a few moments of unsteadiness on a bathroom "run." During the day, I use a crutch around the house or walk unaided. I use two crutches to go up and down the outside steps (we don't have handrails on the steps). I feel as if I may be losing a few degrees on extension, so I prop a towel under my ankle and work on that now and again.
 
You're doing great, Jean! It may just be a combination of awareness and your nutritional regimen. It is great to get out of the house, that's for sure. I'll be curious as to whether you hit a blues period since you seem to be more active and not necessarily house bound.
 
You are doing fantastic for less than 3 weeks. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power. And you have the knowledge of your first TKR. That's valuable. Just be careful to not overdo. You know that can happen really easily and we not even know it.
 
I'm happy to hear that you're doing so well. Just keeping taking breaks between each activity.
 
@KarriB, I'd forgotten about the blues period. I will watch with interest for that, and I would attribute that (if it doesn't appear) entirely to the nutritional routine because that's the difference. I knew about the blues before, so I wasn't surprised when they appeared. But this time? Hmmm.

Last year, the blues hit after I was out and about, so it wasn't the housebound part of the journey that got to me.

I did get the three main litter boxes scooped. Yay.
 
Ok, be sure to post if and when, Jean. I was nearly housebound for 2 months, and although I know the blues are normal I did attribute them to the infection md lack of activity. I am curious.
 
Yay for getting those litter boxes cleaned. That's another step you've taken!
 
Oh, last night Sneaky, my Recovery Cat, performed durability testing on the new knee.
[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)
The knee passed.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I explained to my kitties that they could not walk on my whole right leg. They tried a couple of times but so far, no one has stepped on it like that one of yours did! I probably would have screamed and scared the dickens out of that cat. I'm so glad your knee passed the test.
 
Great news! Like others said take it slowly so you don't suffer afterward. I think I'd like a cat massage but my dog would be upset.
 
One of my dogs who weighs 15 pounds always seemed to walk on my knee. She has very small feet so she really hurt when she did that. Your cat looks about the perfect masseuse for a TKR incision.:heehee:
 
My dog seems to stay away from the knee. She'll leap up on me when I'm lying on the couch but aims for my belly. She'll get a stern no or a loud yelp of pain if she ever hits the knee. The first time will be the last time. She sulks for quite awhile if I ever have to correct her. :)
 
There was a time in my recovery if my Lovebird had landed on my knee I would have passed out!
 
How about those sheets touching it? Ouch! If I wasn't so cold I'd throw them off. But, @Suz, a lovebird? Now, that is touchy! I love it! Good thing it doesn't last for long!
 
Now Paula, @sistersinhim,- I'm talking about a REAL 1.9oz Lovebird- :rofsign:
My point being- I was so pain-sensitive I didn't let nothing near my knee, especially a 4 legged pet-!

[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)
 
Yes, I thought you were talking about a real bird. It just so funny the way you said it! And I can relate to any touching of the incision. When my team and I had to work on the midnight shift we were complaining about not being able to sleep during the day and one lady said she had just fallen asleep and a butterfly flew by her opened window and woke her up! We all laughed at that for ages! Your bird example reminded me of her statement! Only people who have worked a graveyard shift can understand the difficulties of trying to sleep during the day just like only other tkr people can understand what each other has gone through with this surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom