THR Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babies are doing great.....here is a pic of them....they keep me sane!! This is Ruby giving baby a bath....gotta love it!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14
    Ruby and Baby 2014.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 191
All in all for 2 weeks, I think I am doing pretty well....
So I am happy. Got bored today and a bit weepy at times. ugh....
But, when I sit down and realize that this was major surgery, I was in much worse shape before hand,
and now I am on the mend and doing really well --> I net it out to say 'I am happy'. :SUNsmile:
 
A very wise member posted to me in my difficult early post surgery days/weeks that recovery is like a roller coaster... Good days, not such good days, blue days, happy days. I found giving myself permission to feel tired, or sad allowed me to work through that day.

Apparently when I was fighting to survive in ICU, hubby said it was a minute by minute survival.

We do recover, we do regain our mobility - it just takes time.
 
Ok guys, constipation. I can tell you from personal experience that before I started taking pain meds I was as regular as clockwork! Then for the first time in my life I was constipated on a daily basis. I had to discover Fiber, stool softners and the occasional laxative. This has been going on for the last 2 years. I have tried everything, Miralax, Metamucal, Benefiber, Milk of Magnesium, so this is my routine perhaps it will help those who are still on pain meds............Go to Walmart and buy the equate brand of senna kote, it is natural. I usually take 2 in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m. It has solved my problem, every now and then I may have to take a ducalex at bedtime with 2 of two of the sennakote. Because I still have L3L4 issues I am sure I will be on the morphine for a while still, so this continue to be my saving grace. Hope it helps with some of you. Good luck........you do what you gotta do, I have had 2 years to perfect my system......

This may have worked for you, but I really don't recommend the use of any Senna laxatives (like Senokot) following surgery. They may be advertised as "natural," but if you look carefully at the label, you'll see the word "stimulant" there somewhere. It is a bad idea to take stimulant laxatives for more than a few days as your body can become dependent on them to work properly. If you take a stimulant laxative for more than 5 days, please let your GP know so that you can discuss the possible problems that can occur.

Instead, you can take products that are non-stimulantants. They will be marked as "stool softeners".....such as Colace. These products simply allow your intentines to absorb more water and make it easier to go. You can take stool softeners for longer periods of time with no problems.

Here is an article in the BoneSmart Library regarding constipation following surgery. There are a number of tips to alleviate the problem!
 
@Jamie....I have been on morphine for a long time and it has really messed up my digestion. Like I stated above, I have tried it all! The stool softners and ducalax is what keeps me from getting so backed up that I will have a bowel movement once a week and it is just too much strain. I do this régime per my docs advise, I now have diverticulosis first stages of diverticulitis and it is from the constipation. I do fiber, lots of water, love fruits and veggies, it's just what I have to do until I don't need pain meds. Thanks.
 
Glad you are talking with your doctor about your particular situation. It sounds like this works for you. It's definitely tough when a person must take pain medications long term.

I just wanted to be sure someone reading your suggestion wouldn't use stimulants after surgery. This is usually not a good plan for most people and there really are a lot of other good options out there, as discussed in the library article.

Thanks for the clarification about your situation.
 
For some reason I've missed my update alerts from this thread and have missed all the fun

Hope you are going well Brian @Plumberbutt and that your bowels are loving you and working!!!!

I find a couple of Lindt chocolate bunnies help!!!!! Yumm

Your cows are very cute too xxx
 
OK everyone - google Raisin Bran Cereal Bran Muffins. I made them before my surgery, keep them in the freezer, and eat one for breakfast daily. I remembered how I felt after my TKR, 4 years ago, and I didn't want to go there again (no pun intended). They did the trick for me. Now go get the muffin tins:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@teakea66 Is this the recipe?
broken link removed: https://www.cooks.com/recipe/4510w43i/raisin-bran-flakes-cereal-muffins.html
 
Hey Brian...........TGIF!!! The calf is beautiful, I love cows, those big brown eyes! I want some mini-goats, but have heard they can be a lot of work, so I will just admire them from afar. Hope the rest of your week went well. The scar! OUCH! How long is it? I am going to try to get my incision photos on here, very proud of them, they look more aged then 7 weeks. Scars fade with age and mine itch also, sign of healing. Have fun with your newbies!
 
@younghippie - Those look good but I used the following recipe:
broken link removed: https://www.cooks.com/recipe/6r1193tw/raisin-bran-cereal-muffins.html
Really easy and delicious.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom