THR Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy for you @MajorHeidi ...you are doing GREAT!!! Today is my 5 week milestone. Doing better every day....still have some soreness. I did quite a bit at work today and was sore this afternoon. Getting up and down in a big dump truck takes some maneuvering...but got 'er done!!! It is amazing that at 4 1/2 weeks, Monday, I could see just how much better things were going, I could walk the best I had since the surgery. I only pray and wish the best for all my buddies on here. I was so fortunate to have such a great recovery and even then, I thought things were going slow and my patience was NOT good. I did stay positive throughout, mostly, and I think that was a real "plus" in recovering. I also didn't think about "what if it does go south". I did not allow me to think negative as negative was NOT an option, I had/have too much to get done in the summer. My son turns 16 in May and he keeps me active, like it or not!! We also have an Alaskan vacation planned that having "problems" was NOT an option for this reason too. I was fortunate enough to not have any issues with them taking my "rotting/deteriorating" ball of my femur. To me, it was bad and had to go...it wasn't going to get better and it is like cleaning the garage, if I don't or can't use it, it has to go!!! My other hip hasn't bothered me yet, but the key question I think is "yet". When it is time, whenever that is, I will be ready for that one to go too, but would like to wait a bit if I could to build up some more time. If it gets like my left one, it won't be long after the first start of pain that it will get chopped out and replaced. I am getting excited to start getting outside and doing some walking whenever it decides to stop raining. I still can't emphasize enough how much I truly love you guys and this site. I don't get on here too much, but hopefully one of these nights I will be able to get caught up. Night!!!
 
So glad to hear how well you're doing @Plumberbutt ! Your trip to Alaska sounds exciting! I have always wanted to go there...hope you will post some photos when you get back!

Thinking the March musketeers and April (what were they ?) are all just about to move on with our lives! YAY!:yes!:
 
@Dmcfad2 I am so happy for you!!! I knew you'd be on your way!! It really is satisfying those little tiny milestones we have and only those who have gone before us know how valuable the milestones are...it really helps our psyche to help us think more positive and is so gratifying knowing we are actually getting back to "normal"!! I can honestly say that I notice some little thing that is maybe just a smidgen better than the day before, but then I also notice days that I get more achy than the day before. Today I had to get down under a sink in our infirmary and unhook a sink faucet and run some waterlines. I had to do it myself as my workers couldn't go in this area. I did feel it later after we got done and was sore, but then again, I hadn't done that kind of stuff since before surgery and I was laying on my back and operated side, then up and down several times off the ground from my knees, so why wouldn't I be sore!! The positive side of this is that the next time I do it, it will get easier and yes I will notice another milestone!!! That is what keeps me going....I have a tunnel vision of what I want at the end and that is just to be able to be normal and do things like I use to be able to and not hurt anymore!!!! YAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Keep up all the great work my fellow hippies and have a great weekend if I can't get back on for a while!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14
@Plumberbutt!
[Bonesmart.org] Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14
[Bonesmart.org] Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14
 
WOW :wowspring:on the sink work you did! Up and down from the floor and all around.
Sounds like the hokie pokie. Ha!
 
@Plumberbutt Thanks, Brian. We really are on our way, aren't we! I feel so good lately. :yahoo:I definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, I still get tired and sore when I've been doing a lot (but I'm not doing anything like you! You're amazing!). It's still early days, but I love my new hip! Now, if my right hip would just quit giving me grief....I really don't want to go through this again for at least a year. :prayer:
 
Brian, I lived in Alaska for 20 years, still have family there. My sister owns a B&B on the Parks Hwy. on the way to Mt. McKinley. Are you flying/driving or cruising? It is so beautiful, my family homesteaded 180 acres in 1965, no running water, electricity, indoor plumbing, sawdust floor the first year. It made little house on the prairie look like a castle! Learned to cook on a wood stove, baths in a 3D tub and laundry on a scrub board. Check out my sister's site...Alaskan Host Bed and Breakfast, great photos. I am always tempted to runaway and hide out at her place!
 
It's always good to hear about the little milestones, @Plumberbutt . Even if they are not necessarily ones we are likely to experience (probably lol), it is so good to hear how many varied things us Hippies are able to do in such a short time, often without even giving it much thought. :)
 
Today was my 9 week mark and thought I'd give a hollar!! I've been lurking every now and then just to see how peeps have been doing, just haven't spent much time on here for a while. I've been doing fairly well...still get myself into some situations that I'd rather not be in, but usually turn out ok. Still get sore and my other hip has been talking to me once in a while, but not nothing to worry about yet. @Dieter was helping son with training a steer for showing and he acted up, reared back up on his back legs and lunged towards me....he was tied up and I froze....got VERY lucky, haven't messed with him again and he may not go to fair....more like locker. Then yesterday after a LONG day at work fixing a water main, I thought I'd start cutting hay.....WOW....should have just went drinking!! SUCH problems and I was tired and already sore, but kept plugging up the conditioner. Hay was heavy and soaking wet, but with my vacation coming up, I have to get things done. Why do we always seem to have to "get things done".

Anyway.....while unplugging the haybine, I was near an old fence line and there was a post hole camouflaged with grass and guess what....yep....I dropped in it with my BAD hip side!!! If that wasn't bad enough, I also hit my wrist on the haybine corner and really bruised my wrist and it was bleeding...GEEZZZZZ

If I get through this whole thing recovered and nothing else broken, I will be a "miracle"!!!! I am getting stronger I know, but just not fast enough. That has probably been my worst recovery issue.....just not fast enough. I think that happens to so many of us that we just want to get back to normal again. Last week I had my 8 week post op appointment and he told me that I am right where I should be....achy and stiff when I first get up. He told me it will keep getting better and at 6 months I will see a BIG difference.....if I don't screw something up first!!! Oh well.....I am so happy to see how well everyone is doing and sure miss all our chats.

Take care!!!!
 
@Plumberbutt - Wow - sounds like you've been a busy guy. I planted some tomatoes and wanted a gold medal - lol. Seriously though, we did a lot of yard work preparing for a Memorial Day picnic and I hadn't realized how much I missed being able to do that kind of stuff. I was tired but very happy:) Please be careful, don't you have a cruise coming up? I'm happy to hear that your follow up appointment was on point, I'm 10 weeks out with my next OS appointment on July 1st and feeling better than I have in years. Please be well and be careful, it's great to hear from you:)
 
@teakea66 You have been busy too!!!! Getting up and down from my knees is still a little slow, but is constantly getting better. I completely understand the "gold medal"!! I do have a cruise coming up and getting more and more excited. Take care and it is great hearing from you too...until next time!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom