THR Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are at the top of your world! Somehow didn't realize you are only 6 days ahead of me! I cannot wait to put real pants, and my own socks and tie my own shoes. Phenomenal! I haven't tied my own shoe for years. Only a few more days to wait! Maybe wife will be willing to reward?


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny It sounds funny, but I feel like it has been one of my greatest feats!!! At least in a LONG time. How are you doing?? Pretty much back to normal? The steri strips are all off now too, so I can get a good look at the incision....it seems kinda big to me. My PT told me that my OS did kind of a "hybrid"...not really anterior NOR Posterior. I'll have to take a pic and see what y'all think.
 
@Me2 No rewards here...lol You haven't been able to tie your shoe for years? You must have been in so much pain. Just being in "work" pants somehow made me feel proud!!
 
Doesn't sound funny at all @ Plumberbutt......it's all these things we can't do that bring us down so when that milestone is achieved it's like climbing Mount Everest! Thanks, yes, I'm back to normal .......as I'm retired work not an issue but I am very active, always out and about...I am so impressed that you all go back to work so soon too....think 12 weeks would have been earliest for me....but I have other hip and back issues too. I'm so pleased with my new hip....I have no pain and no tightness
at all now and for those who had knee pain after THR....mine has finally gone! I had posterior..about 8" scar which has almost faded to a thin line...no problems at all. Keep up the good work ! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny I would have taken another week too, but I need to save the time for a vacation this summer. I don't feel "rushed" back to work, but another week would have had me walking even better. It is just amazing what a day can make....even the mental aspect of the whole orderal, a day can make such a difference. I am so happy for you that you are feeling so good...YOU GO GIRL!!!! I really do appreciate all the support that you have given me and others on here....Thanks!!!!:thankyou:

It is funny, but @Lmflora I came across this little smiley and thought of you at 2:40 in the morning!! :bicycle1:
The TALL bike!!!!
 
16 days post op and I had a HUGE milestone....to me.....I put on regular work pants today, socks, AND work boots AND tied them. It was a struggle, but I was VERY careful and got it done. I feel like I owned the world today!!! This made me feel the best that I have felt since surgery. I am still using meds, but WOW....it was such a great feeling.

You're showing off now I see :egypdance:
Too right! Really pleased to hear that you are able to manage this (simple for most people) act.
With a little leg gymnastics I can put my trousers on, but socks still seem a long way away. Keep us charmed with these stories please. :thumb:
 
So pleased that you are progressing so well Brian - slow and steady is the best approach - have. You read this article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
@Cantabrigian I don't mean to show off...but when you haven't worn nothing but sandals since March 26....it IS a milestone!! You'll get there...slow and steady WILL win the race. I pretty much have just listened to my body and let it guide me. @Poppet Thanks for the reading....my appetite has recently just started getting better. @glmrphy Thanks for the kind words...I saw you are going back to work the 21st? Just another way to make you feel "normal".
 
@Cantabrigian I don't mean to show off...but when you haven't worn nothing but sandals since March 26....it IS a milestone!! You'll get there...slow and steady WILL win the race. I pretty much have just listened to my body and let it guide me.

I know full well you're not showing off, and you have every right to be pleased about it ... I'm just dreaming of the day when I can manage socks and shoes without any help. :shrug:
With all of the encouragement on here though, I will be sure to keep trying, and I will be just as happy when ùy day comes. :yes:
 
@Me2 I read all about you....even down on your knees!!! Wowzzer!!! LOL Did it feel good to have your shoes on? I just couldn't explain how well that felt.....GOOD FOR YOU!!!

@Cantabrigian Your day will come....sooner than you think, but when it does....you will feel just as good!! It can be a slow process, but a rewarding one too!!
 
Oh my friend @Plumberbutt ............You go boy! I remembered how excited I was to put my own panties on, don't know if it was that wonderful day for my DH, but I was thrilled! I still do the dangle angle, but I can get it all on by myself now too! Listen when you go back to work it will be fun, fulfilling and exciting, BUT after about 4 hours it might start kicking your butt! I have been working 4 hours a day in the office for over 2 weeks and I can feel it! Might be that I had both hips instead of one, don't know, but after those first 4-5 steps I am ready to go! I see the OS on Tuesday at 2:15, so I had my dates wrong. So I might be swinging earlier then expected! It might have to wait for me to get over this dang cold, it has kicked my butt, moved out of the bedroom to my old room to keep the germs contained hopefully, new antibiotics, inhaler, mucinex, allergy meds..........lots of fluids. Hope you are about over your cold. I am good at most movements except the bending over all the way, I can do it if I straddle, but can't do it straight down. Also getting the last leg into the car, whether driving or passenger, I still need a little hand assistance. I'm so excited! Any news from MajorHeidi? Haven't checked yet today. Well have to take the 16 year old clothes shopping, yippee, yahoo! Really NOT looking forward to that, just too stressful!
 
I still do the angle dangle too when I put on my "panties"...LOL but I feel SOO good that I can dress myself COMPLETELY!! I don't enjoy depending on someone else and love my independence. I have been driving for about a week and a half now, but it would have made a difference if it would have been my right hip, but since it was my left one.....VRRRROOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM and here we go!!! The meds don't make me drousy at all and I think the hydrocodone is my best...seems to really do the trick...it just takes out the soreness and away I go!! As far as the cold goes....I am so frustrated with it!!! I have gotten much better, but still have a non productive cough. It was one of the worst colds I have ever had!! Oh well...not gonna let some stinkin' cold keep me down!!
 
@MajorHeidi Your back deck area looks BEAUTIFUL!!! Does it feel a bit better today? I too have that first few step soreness, but the meds do help with that...keep them up. You go girl!! SOOO happy for you!!
 
It is pretty, and with redbuds and willows greening out just so nice. :flwrysmile:

I'm going over to my thread to document some stuff on surgery day that I didn't know they were going to do.
:blush:
 
@Plumberbutt .......I know about the cold thing, this **** I have has been tearing me up! I am on my 4th antibiotic since a week out of surgery, this time it has me wheezing and he ordered me an inhaler, he says my immune system is just weak because of everything. I would feel so much better if I wasn't sick. Pollen has not helped at all oak trees and pines, everything is coated. So ready for work, post tomorrow and let us know how it goes. TRY not to overdo it. I "thought" I would do my 4 hours in the morning, but the way I feel right now, it might be an afternoon 4 hours, play it by ear. AND I did the dangle angle for so long that it might just be a way of life now!
 
I work at a prison and I'm really anxious to get back with my co-workers. Just another step back to normal. If I don't make it all day, that's ok. I've got a lot to get back use to....getting up early....no naps....like I said though, I will take it easy and TRY not to overdo things....but being positive it will go great!! @GaRosehippy I hope you get over that crud...it is miserable!! Do you have asthma too? I do and it seems like everytime I do get a cold, it goes to my lungs. I've been fortunate this time, but it is just a chest and head cold. Today my son and I were running some calves through the chute and SOMEHOW I smashed my three of my fingers below my knuckles....can you believe what a DORK I am!!! Nothing broken, just swollen and black/blue. Sometimes I am just a Clutz!! Anyway...I will let you know how it goes tomorrrow. Night!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom