THR Plum Perfect's new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Plum Perfect What a relief to get that first bm out of the way ! It sounds like you are doing well.In the UK we rarely leave hospital with a walker in fact you only use it for a very short period on the first day as the physios move you on to 2 canes as soon as possible
 
Day three post OP. Had quite a good nights sleep from 11 to 1:30 time for a Tramadol and the back to sleep until 5:30, took another Tramadol and responded on BS until 6:30. Next was putting the TED hose on, to my amazement it didn't take nearly as long as yesterday to get the right one on. Then my morning really started, let the girls (my 4 dogs) out, let the girls in, feed the girls, washed the water bowls, filled the bowls, let the girls out. Then it was time to organize for me, make coffee organize morning meds, get breakfast, get fresh ice, carry everything, one at a time, to my bedroom, get back in bed, put the ice on ad relax. This all took 2 hours!! I am now relaxing with morning coffee and breakfast. I feel amazingly good. I do find I have to really concentrate in order to walk correctly, when I'm busy doing something it is hard for me to pay attention to how I walk. My goal for today is to pay more attention to walking correctly.

This morning I will take my first post OP shower, I'm giving myself two hours in bed with ice so I'm rested and can enjoy it, I'm savoring the thought of the nice warm water. It is amazing how much these little things create happiness, normally I would be stir crazy by now but I am practicing gratitude with every pain free moment. It is so wonderful to have all you bone smarties that have experienced this recovery in so many different ways, thank you all so much. Have a wonderful recovery day!
 
Hello Plummy friend!!
Look at you, look at you!! Now you see why I could feel such gratitude and still do, actually. like today, I was able to get outside and walk and it helped so much with my cabin fever. But now I am back in my chair and watching the trees and leaves blow with the wind gusts. Nature is so magnificent and we get too busy to notice all of it's nuances. I started appreciating it all about 2 weeks before my surgery and have been successful in continuing it up to Day 12 post op.
I so agree with the walking correctly, I am a bit surprised at the difficulties doing so. Mainly with my poor overworked right leg.
We've got this! Onward ho!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just took my first post OP shower! It felt wonderful, I did not need any assistive device and was able to stand and blow dry my hair as well. Of course now I exhausted and back in bed with ice for a little nap.
 
Now you will sleep like a baby. :elevate:
 
@Plum Perfect! My goodness, I had to take a nap after reading about all your activity. :wink:
It sounds like you're doing beautifully and that is so wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed that lovely, warm shower.
I so agree with you and @CricketHip about marveling at Nature and just being grateful for those things it's sometimes easy to overlook.
Sending continued healing vibes your way. :flwrysmile:
 
Day 4 Post OP, this morning about the same as yesterday although my pain medication was a little different as I got up earlier and a dose wasn't due for an hour. It is definitely better to time the medication to 30 minutes BEFORE my morning chores. I am back in bed with ice resting up for my morning shower which might not happen much before noon. I continue to be amazed by my body and the recovery, moving in bed today is so much easier than yesterday, I slept on my non OP side for a while this morning. My chores took a little less time and I'm more alert than yesterday. I'm dreaming a lot, I don't usually remember dreams but now if I awaken mid dream, because I have to pee, I don't realize where I am and try to move 'normally' and then get a jolt. It is another beautiful day here, I plan to go outside after my shower, and get a little sunshine. I find myself thinking about something to do or something I want to get and then realize I can't drive and it's too far to walk. My brain doesn't feel so foggy but clearly I am still spacey as my thoughts don't always coincide with reality. I'm watching entirely too much TV, I have lots to read, things I want to read, but don't have the concentration yet. I may watch a TV show from beginning to end but at the end can't tell you what happened, it does help pass the time though. It is also a convient way to measure time so I get up and walk about every 45 minutes.
@DeepBreath I hope you had a great night and are having a good healing day today and I hope you and @CricketHip have sunshine today, it must be afternoon for you two.
Wishing everyone a good day today, sending healing vibes to you all.
 
Great to hear you are doing so well Plum Perfect and already showering without any assistive device - wow! :yes!:

Keep the good reports coming and enjoy the sunshine today!
 
Wow @Plum Perfect, you are such an inspiration to those of us who still face surgery! I can't thank you enough for sharing your journey in such detail...you are really paying it forward and for that I'm so grateful!

I am grateful and thankful to all of you who have payed it forward! I would list each name, but would be afraid I might inadvertently forget to list someone's name. :loveshwr:
 
Day 4 Post OP, Afternoon. I had my morning shower at about 12:30, dressed and was able to get the TED hose on much more easily - Hooray! It is such a beautiful day I went for a walk down my street, it is only one block, my house is on one end. I walked to the end of my street and back stopping to say hello to a neighbor outside washing their car. Everything felt good. Returned home, I got a fresh ice pack and am back in bed with my leg elevated and ice, feels really good. Responding on BS then time for an afternoon nap. My youngest pup, Jessie, is curled up on the bed with me. If I had realized how much better I would feel post surgery I wouldn't have waited so long. One gets used to the pain over time and you do less and less to accommodate to loss of range of motion and the pain. Now that the hip pain is gone and I know I am getting better I have a happier outlook which makes everything better. I'm in my pre-surgery blue jeans and they fit just fine, no incision pain. A little pulling putting them on but that's all Life is good, healing vibes to everyone.

ps: prune juice, etc. is doing its' job and my system is working fine, a great relief
 
@Plum Perfect, I am smiling from ear to ear reading your update. How wonderful to hear that you are doing and feeling so well! It is amazing to realize just how much the pre op pain and limited ROM colors our existence.
I love the visual of you resting with sweet Jessie by your side. Those fur babies are some of the best medicine around, aren't they?
Keep up the great work, friend, and enjoy the rest of your day. :)
 
HI Plum Perfect! You sound so happy! Isn't it great to have a better outlook on life, again?
We start with pain, then add worry to the mix, worry about the surgery, worry about the logistics of day to day living and we kind of snuff out any fun.
Our dog- Rooney is a big comfort to me and I am glad to hear that your pups are helping you, too.
the sun peeked out later in the afternoon so we went out for a walk. It was so nice.
Jeans??!! You have jeans on already?? Not me, I am enjoying my soft knits. :egypdance:
Of course those are always my first choice and I bet your jeans are for you.
Prune juice really helps do the trick, yes? I enjoy drinking it, too.
I accidentally spilled a small can of it on my creamy white carpet in the bedroom. Not a pretty sight.. I got most of it out, hard to scrub the carpet at this stage.. oh well!

Have a good evening,, rest well!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just catching up @Plum Perfect and you sound amazing.I can't believe that you are already wearing your jeans I am still in my soft and comfy jogging trousers I think that you know them as sweat pants.What a tonic being able to have a short walk outdoors.I see you are expecting some bad weather over there.It is cold and wet today so I plan to stay nest bound until conditions improve
 
Hello Everyone, Day 5 here. @CricketHip sorry to hear about your 'spill', you might try Nature's Miracle (you might even have it since you have a pup) it is good to get almost anything out of a carpet. Believe me I have had almost everything over the years. Now I have all tile floors! It is warmer her though than in PA and I have radiant heat so in the winter my floors are warm, it will be nice to be able to sit on them again.

I slept quite well last night, I did get up twice but that was to pee and I went back to sleep quite quickly, I am already more comfortable than I was pre-surgery. Waking up is a by product of all the fluids but I think it is better than the alternative. I looked at my incision this morning and at first thought it had really swollen however on closer inspection I realized the swelling in the surrounding tissue had subsided which makes the incision area look more swollen, I keep it iced continuously while I sitting or in bed. The incision is interesting, it appears to have a piece of netting extending about 1" on all sides, that is covered with the 'glue' which holds in all together. I'm told it will start to loosen around 3 weeks post OP. The pre-surgical information said there might be a stitch at each end, I don't see one but it could be hidden by the netting and swelling.
Getting in and out of bed is much easier, I get out of bed on the right and it is my right hip. Now I am able to sit up and using by hands to raise my butt I can pivot my legs out of the bed - BIG improvement. When I get back into bed I can actually now lift my surgery leg up onto the pillow I use for elevation, also a major improvement.
My pain is minimal however I do find that every time I stand up, whether for thirty minutes of three hours, it is helpful if I stand and put weight on the surgical side before starting to walk. I don't know why this helps, the PT impressed upon me NOT to walk with a limp and I realized that if I started walking immediately I limped because it hurt, not terribly but enough to cause me to limp. If I stand still and allow my self to let the leg settle in I can take that first step without a limp.

Yesterday I did quite a bit of walking, I do not have any additional pain or soreness however I do feel less energetic today, spending more time resting today which means my 'morning' shower will be even later today, probably around 1:30 after I take my next pain med. I have definitely found that taking meds 30 minutes before extra exertion really helps.

My diet, and the Colace, has me reasonably regular, once a day, although not a really normal BM. Lots of fruit, veggies, organic prunes, and prune juice, probiotics and kiefer or yogurt. High fiber cereal for breakfast too.

I haven't started any 'formal' exercises yet although some, like the ankle pumps, I find myself doing automatically just to relax and stretch my legs. Tightening the quads is such a wonderful feeling for me as it was so painful before I didn't do it. Standing up straight an pulling my tummy in is also a real treat, my posture had really suffered over the last several years, I had realized how much the painful hip changed my day to day life. I have to say now I have no hip movement pain and now knowing I am on the road to improvement, rather than the alternative, is great.

It is another beautiful sunny day here, I hope everyone gets to see the sun today and is continuing to recover and appreciate how luck we are to have this opportunity.
 
What a wonderful update, @Plum Perfect! Your description of the day to day changes is very interesting and informative. It is amazing how the daily improvements quickly add up! I am storing up your advice for when I am fully weight bearing and can begin to really walk on my new hip. Thank you for sharing!
Keep up the great work and the forward movement (literally!) :wink:
Have a great rest of the day, friend. :)
 
Evening of Day 5 post OP. I learned how to use an AP on my phone to monitor my walk today. It keeps track of the time, distance, speed, weather, and altitude, it could add in my heart but I don't have an attachment for that. Everything today was later than yesterday, I was lazy today, I should have gone to bed earlier but wasn't sleepy and hate that feeling lying awake in bed and not falling asleep. Despite the late start I did everything I did yesterday and a slightly longer walk. Today it was 0.64 miles in 19.17 minutes, it felt good, I wasn't tired until I got home. I immediately got fresh ice, crawled into bed and elevated my leg for an hour. All good. I got up and organized dinner for the girls, it takes me 10 - 15 minutes to get everything ready, carry each bowl to their crate and then pick them up afterward and wash and leave ready for breakfast. They eat in 30 seconds, it is me that is slow. That was my hourly exercise. I'm back in bed with ice, my next trip will be fixing dinner. I try to space everything about 1 hour apart so I get ice and rest after every activity. I am sleepy now and could probably take a nap but I want to go to bed earlier today so I'm going to try to stay awake until at lease 8:00 PM and then get ready for bed.

Hope everyone is doing well, time to catch up on all today's BS activities, have a great rest of your day whatever time zone you are in. :puppysmooze:
 
Thank you @Plum Perfect, for giving such a detailed description of your recovery so far. Your posts give me so much encouragement! What breed of dogs do you have?


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Hello @Just4mules I have Airedale Terriers, I show in breed, obedience and, recently, agility. My goal is to be at an agility trial on December 26th, 2015. Before my surgery I thought it was a long shot but still a good goal. Now I have so much less pain than pre-surgery it actually seems realistic. You are 20 years younger than me and will have an even better recovery. I was a pain in the **** with all my questions but for me it was good to go into the surgery prepared. BS is a safe place to ask questions and get any support you need. Only two more weeks for you! :dogsniff:
 
Wow, I know you are one tough lady if you work with Airdales! They are really neat dogs, very Terrier! I have had labs all my life, my brother trains and campaigns them in field trials and hunt tests. I started in agility with my last lab and had a lot of fun for a few years. I lost him to liver cancer in February. Still not ready to get another one yet. So happy for you that you are able to care for your furry family members while in recovery! I look forward to continuing to read about your recovery. Julie


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Plum Perfect...you are having a great recovery! You will definitely be back for that trial in December!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom