THR Plum Perfect's new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trip home yesterday was uneventful, my girl friend fed my dogs and got this mornings food ready so all I need to do is give it to them. I am taking tramadol and it is good but I think it is adding to my sleepiness. I had lunch at the hospital, good thing as I was too tired to do anything but get in bed. I have gotten up regularly to pee. It's 7 AM now, will get up for breakfast now and see how I feel.
 
Good morning, Plummy! You sound like you are right on track, sleep, type a few lines, sleep, eat, walk a few steps, sleep.. :heehee:
Brain fog is such a normal side affect.. no matter what pills you take I think you would still be sleeping, this is just how our body heals. And we just opted for a traumatic surgery.
I look back at those first 7 days as a very cozy, sleepy and happy time.
I hope you will, too.
good night..:rotfl:
 
Have a great day, @Plum Perfect, and as Jaycey said, don't worry about schedules!! I loved staying in bed, had my computer and a thermos of coffee. The visiting nurses were coming at 1pm to begin with, which was great. When they started coming at 9am I was disappointed because I loved the mornings snuggled in bed! Now that I'm back to work M-Thursday, I'm spending this Friday morning in bed!!
 
I'm with you @LaylaHips and @CricketHip! Nothing better than a cup of brew and lazing in bed, oh and with hubby feeding me peeled grapes (one at a time of course)! Add rain to the scenario and it makes my top two favorite things to do (can't mention number one, but suffice it to say hubby is in the picture and he isn't peeling grapes)! :heehee:
 
@Plum Perfect I can't believe that you actually managed to post whilst in Recovery.That must be a first.You sound great but very tired just now and that is hardly surprising after what we have been through.You are doing great.
 
Hi @Plum Perfect! Happy to hear you made it home safe and sound. It is wonderful to be home and snuggled up in your own bed, isn't it? Take it easy and only do what you must, for the next couple of days, and sleep as often as you want to. That and ice and elevating are the best things for you right now...oh...and of course the pain meds. Have a mahvelous day!
 
I started reading my discharge info last night and fell asleep, I have 92 BS Alerts and don't know how to look at them all!

I took off my TED hose last night, not too difficult but took me 20 minutes to maneuver the right one back on this morning, after I remembered I needed to today. I got dressed so I could get the mail from the mail box but only had ads and bills! Life is pretty normal. I am getting up every hour for a short walk and usually a pee. I am tying to keep drinking lots of fluids.

When I'm in bed I don't have any pain, I am icing continuously, certain movements are painful and I don't know @Josephine if I should be taking enough pain meds not to feel it or if I shouldn't make the movements. These are just normal things, getting in/out of bed moving to a chair, etc. I am not attempting any exercises. My doctor prefers just regular walking until my 2 week appointment. It is 86 steps from my bed to the kitchen and and back and 40 from my bed to the bathroom. I do one or the other, or both, every hour and sometimes several trips to the kitchen because I forget something or leave my glasses there.

I am having my coffee now hoping it will motivate a BM. I've had the softeners, prunes, prune juice, fresh fruits, LOTS of liquids basically everything that has been suggested. I am not uncomfortable yet and am hopeful that will be resolved soon.

My dogs are on a rotation schedule, 2 in 2 out, except at bed time when I put two in crates. They are being very good but when they are all together they can get rowdy, especially since they haven't had their jobs to do for several days now.

I feel amazingly good and calm (thank you @CricketHip) and thankful for this amazing surgery. It is hard to believe I have no hip pain, I think it was worse than I realized because I really notice the absence despite the other pain(s). It was amazing to see the X-rays of my hip, of all the things I have ever thought I might have to deal with getting a new hip was not one of them. My knee no longer hurts so it really was the hip pain referred to my knee.

I'm staying on the Tramadol every 4 hours, I don't know if I really need it but prefer not to find out the hard way. I came home with only a cane, the PT said I could only have one thing, walker, crutches, or a cane. I'm not sure if this is a Medicare thing, I do have a supplement plan and it is the best one offered. No complaints though because Medicare is paying for the surgery. If I had been more aware I could have brought the walker and had my friend pick up a cane at a medical supply store, foggy brain at work.

I was hoping to have something more exciting to post but no such luck. I'm going to try now to catch up on other posts before my next nap descends on me.

Thank you all for your support.

Suzanne
 
Hi @suzanne
Great that you are at home. That foggy head is hard to get used to and the sleepiness. I used to go to the bathroom then sleep, go to the kitchen then sleep, eat then sleep etc. . It took a few days of struggling against it before giving in to it. I hope your recovery carries on with out excitement other than the excitement of doing something new. Take care.
 
Success! My big cup of coffee got the show on the road. I'll continue with all the preventative measures until I'm off all drugs and 'regular' again.
 
92 alerts! See how much your BS family cares about you! :-) seems like you are following the mantra here on BS and I'm happy your surgeon is in agreement. Maybe someone can pick up a chain for your glasses, so you don't leave them behind...I always felt the chain was for really old people, but I broke down and bought one and realized I WAS one of those old people now! Lol!
You're doing just great and it must be wonderful not having that ever present hip pain...I'm happy for you!
 
@Plum Perfect
I just read another post you wrote and you mentioned a "nurse navigator" and I see you're from California. Did you happen to have your surgery at the HOAG Orthopedic Institute? Just curious, as this is where I had planned on having mine.
 
@Cynthia777 Mine was at St. Francis Hospital, Total Joint Center, Dr. Nicholas Mast, he is also the director and has done over 1300 Anterior Approach surgeries, he only works on the hips and pelvis. This is about 3 hours from my home 4.5 hours if you leave after 2:30! I wanted someone that was confident I could return to the hobbies I love. He is passionate about hips, is very patient, and answers all your questions no matter how trivial they are. I am (was) a scientist and often doctors get frustrated with me because I ask so many questions. I'm just curious. About the glasses, I felt like you did but I guess you're right, although I'm sure the extra walking is good for me.

I just got another 300 steps in feeding the dogs, walking back and forth with each bowl separately, I don't know where my pedometer is so I may have to give up counting. I think my phone has one, I'll have to check.

I'm glad you are doing well now and are able to wait for a while, I have a few years on you and I was going down hill quickly. It is amazing how well I feel now only 2 days post surgery.
 
@Josephine I am taking 1 50 mg pill. every 4 hours. Last night, my first night home and second night post surgery, I noted the time I could take a pill when I was going to sleep but only took a pill when I woke up and had passed the 4 hour mark, I did not set an alarm the way I do during the day. One time was 5.5 hours but the next time was 4 hours so it worked OK last night.
 
That's good! But if you ever get a spike, do take 100mgs. You can also enhance the effect of Tramadol by taking 1,000mg Tylenol with it (up to 8 tablets per 24hrs)
 
Woo-Hoo that the coffee got things moving! :)
It sounds like you're doing beautifully.
Take good care of yourself, Plum. :flwrysmile:
 
That's right, I think you already told me this and DUH, I just now remember you had a beautiful view of the San Francisco Bay from your room! Although you may have a few physical years on me, your brain functioning surely doesn't! Lol!
 
hey, hey, hey! Plum, you are doing very well! And only using a cane?? wow! I started using the cane off and on but still use the walker for the longer walks to prevent the limping. If I never need to limp another day in my life?? It would be a good thing!!
I bet the pups are keeping you good company. Mine is with me right now. Sleep well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom