THR Plum Perfect's new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Plum! Congratulations, sounds like you are doing just great and I can't believe how lucid and motivated you are!! I was not up for posting for a day or two I think it was and am very impressed! I Also thought the photo looked like a knee at first and had to look a few times, then I realized the photo was shot from the top down toward your feet (as if you took it yourself) and is your right hip/thigh area with "other" areas covered with blanket. Your incision is shorter than mine and looks really good. Take care and I wish you a smooth and steady recovery. Looking forward to following your recovery.
 
OK PT just left, I'm disappointed because the front of my right thigh is still so numb that I don't have muscle control so I could stand but not try walking. As others have said PT goes home @ 5:00 so I won't have another chance tonight. The therapist told me the numbness could last late into the evening.

Dozed off before sending. Still really sleepy, had a little dinner, so far so good.

@CrickettHip I couldn't figure out the photo either but it is my hip :-). 7:30 and my leg is still numb. No energy to check it out on BS.

Sending now before I doze again.
 
@Plum Perfect, You did it! Congratulations. So glad you are on the medication you mentioned. They gave me that through the iv, too. It's excellent. Great work asking for your meds on schedule. That makes such a difference. I'm glad that you're sleeping. Don't worry, there's plenty of time for walking. You sound like you're doing great!
 
Wow @Plum Perfect the worst is over (waiting!). Now the gradual road to normality. It is exciting. The best bit for me was when a few weeks on, I walked to the bathroom and forgot to think about my hip.
Well done. i look forward to your posts.
 
About 12 hours post the start of surgery. I didn't have any pre-sedation and did feel the spinal briefly. I had a light dinner, I brought 'yoga' powder to encourage me to drink more fluids. My upper leg is still numb but it is diminishing and I can move it a little. I have one tab of tramadol every 4 hours, I don't know if there is no pain because of the numbness or the tramadol. I asked my nurse to let the night nurse know that I want the tramadol on a schedule and wake me up if need be to stay on schedule. My nurse said she would leave the note but couldn't promise the night nurse would follow my wishes - hard to believe! Setting my alarm to be sure it happens. Despite this everything has been great, off to bed now.
 
@Plum Perfect please don't worry yourself about a schedule or waking up on time. It is important you get as much rest as you can. Let the nurses do their job and sleep as much as you can. For the most part you will stay on your prescribed meds schedule.
 
Good Morning September Sapphires, it is overcast here in SF, a few areas have had small amounts of rain which is wonderful. My pain is minimal but I haven't done much moving yet to evaluate. I haven't stood yet do to the numbness last night. PT will be here this morning, I still have the catheter until I stand and can get to the potty. No issues at all, comfortable sleeping last night except for the many 'interruptions'. Everyone here is great, none of the 'bad ones' people have mentioned. Constant icing which feels good, just moving around in bed a little bit. Nothing new to report yet. I'll send an update after PT. thanks everyone for the continued support.
 
Wow you are doing amazing @Plum Perfect. For my first surgery I was too loopy to get up for pt and had use a bedpan all night. I was disappointed I couldn't get up right after surgery. Made up for it the next morning walking. Second one (1 week ago today) I got up a few hours after and walked to the door. The bad part with that was I had to pee all night from the iv and had to get up every time. Glad you had good nurses. First surgeryI had one really good one and 2 not so great. Last week had great nurses and aides. It makes all the difference. Slow down when you get out in the halls walking. You sound like you are ready for take off Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
Good morning Plum Perfect! Oh how I hear you on getting even a touch of rain! I'm not even sure if I remember what rain looks like here in California! How lovely that you have such a fabulous view of the bay from your room...lucky girl!

I'm very intrigued with your "yoga powder" helping one to drink more fluids, as I've always had a problem with this. Would love to know what it is and how it works, but no need to tell me now, as you are dealing with far too much as it is.

Sending you well wishes! :-)
 
@Cynthia777, the drink I have is Ultima Replenisher, I get it from Amazon. Currently I'm drinking grape. There are several flavors, it is a balanced electrolyte powder. For me it makes the water go down easily.

I just got back from my X-Ray, if it looks good I'll head home today. My blood pressure and tests are all good. I walked down the hall with a walker, the hip felt amazingly good however my quad muscles are quite painful when I put weight on that leg. Dr Mast said that is common. Waves of sleepiness overcome me periodically and I just doze off, going there now...
 
Hey Plummy Girl!! ( you,too, Plum Perfect) ;)
You sound great! Your quad muscles sounds familiar. that area was my sore area. Surprisingly no bone pain like I had imagined. Just "angry tissues" which morphed into Log Leg. But it all dissipates fast, just a few days.
Are you ok to be going home? Will you have help there?
 
P.S. the dozing off is the best, I did that for a full week. You are off to a great start!! Did you get to see the Hana Table ??
 
Sounds like you're doing great and I agree with Cricket, the quad muscles tend to be very sore...I don't know if this is the area of your quads that are sore, but my thigh, from the incision to the outter edge of my thigh is still numb and extremely sensitive to the touch - I've been having quite a bit of burning/shooting pain in this area for 2 days and I'll be at 4 weeks tomorrow. It seems like the numbness is wearing off and feeling is coming back. I also agree with Cricket about Tramadol not being enough pain relief for me when I got home. Although I do know some are able to just manage the pain with Tylenol, however I needed oxycodone every 4 hours for the first few weeks...then I was alternating the tramadol and oxycodone when I started feeling better. Now I'm alternating Tylenol and Tramadol during the day, but take oxycodone at bedtime to help me sleep. I hope they discharge you with something stronger that you can fill if you need it. Take care and hope all continues to go well with your recovery:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Plum Perfect. I have a difficult time drinking plain water, so I drink Crystal Lite. I'm going to order the Ultima Replenesher, as I'm sure it's much better for you. Thanks again!
 
Hi, @Plum Perfect :) It sounds like you are doing great. I'm glad your area experienced a bit of rain. I so wish I could package up all this wet we have going on here on the east coast and wing it your way to relieve that doggone drought. Instead, I'll just send more good thoughts and healing vibes.
Those quads are sure tender post surgery, aren't they? The dozing off suddenly is quite something too. While in the hospital I would be texting with a friend or posting here and would literally just be out like a light and then wake to think, "What was I doing?" :wink:
Keep up the marvelous work, Plummy! Your updates are awesome to read. :)
 
Hello Everyone, @CricketHip, yes, I'll be going home at 2:00, my friend is leaving now to get me. I walked a bit with the cane up and down the hall, the hip really feels great, just the quads that really hurt after a while walking, no danger or over doing it at this stage. The sleepiness is actually quite nice. @PegGene, thanks for the suggestion regarding pain meds, they are filing them now. @Cynthia777 I think you'll enjoy the Ultima and will drink more fluids with it. @DeepBreath it is comforting to know tat the quad pain is not unusual along with the falling asleep.

Please let me know about your brain fog, how bad, how long does it last, is it drug related or surgery related. I try to respond to a post and can't remember anything I read or what I wanted to say. Please forgive any disjointed posts.

Leaving in 20 minutes, hope to miss the commute traffic, should be home by 4.
 
@Plum Perfect
Going home already! Good for you! Oh, and don't worry about the "brain fog", as I get it daily and haven't had surgery yet (oh dear, I had better warn hubby what's to come)! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom