THR Plum Perfect's new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow at you, Plum! I had to pee like that too.. the nurse didn't want to have the other patients seeing me walk to the bathroom because then they would all have to go, too. so she took me on a long and winding trail behind the scenes.. she was walking quickly and limpy me couldn't keep up.. oops!
Good luck! Any minute now!
 
@Plum Perfect, you've been on my mind and in my prayers from the moment I woke up this morning. I know you'll do great and I look forward, along with all your other hippie buddies, to hearing from you when you're ready.
Big Hugs! :)
 
Hope by now you are well established on this side. I'll post your articles here for you to refer back to:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Surgery is done, it was time , bone on none. Everything went well, still in the recovery room but getting ready to move to my room. I treated myself to new head phones yesterday so could listen to meditations without disturbing any one. Can wiggle my toes but not much else. Had a sip of ice, dry mouth. Still have a catheter to take care of all my liquids. I can feel the incision area but not real pain. Am on IV toroidal, an anti -inflammatory. The don't do pain mess on a schedule so I have to ask for that. Trying to remember all the 'mantras'. Thanks for all the healing thoughts.
 
:wowspring:I think you're the first recovery thread where someone posted from the recovery room...OMG! You're making this sound like a piece of cake! I'm very impressed! I pray the rest of your recovery goes as well as it has thus far! :yay:
 
Beautiful view from my room, I can see the bay. All the rooms are private here, when the hospital was built they had a back-up plan to turn it into a hotel if it didn't make it as a hospital. Can move my left leg but supposed to keep the right one still.
[Bonesmart.org] Plum Perfect's new hip!
. I had the nurse take a photo, pretty bruised already. I can't actually see it myself. Everyone has been great. I have achalk board in my room with all my info. The list 'what is important to me' it states 'pain is controlled'. I had asked about it and they don't normally have people on a schedule, usually it is as needed. Thanks to BS I requested a schedule once we know which drugs it will be. Their first choice is tramadol, I am on IV anti-inflammatories while I'm here.

My surgeon said the surgery was shorter than usual, I have a drain the collects the blood and, depending on how much, they put it back. I was not familiar with this technology.

Hip is achy and heavy, still numb so no pain. PT and OT will be here shortly.
 
Oh my gosh, pictures no less! Plum, you are amazing! *hugs* The only thing I can't figure out is this picture, It looks like a knee? I am corn-fused..
The first night was a bit touchy with the tightness and heaviness but it eases very quickly. so glad you were prepared to talk to the staff on a medicine schedule :ice:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Plum Perfect! Girl, I swear you are the poster child for 'How To Be Informative'. :wink:
It sounds like it went great and you are already being an advocate for yourself by using the amazing Bone Smart recommendations.
Speeding good vibes your way for a wonderful recovery. Be well and can't wait for more awesome updates. :)
 
The surgical center where I WAS going to have my surgery, had the same machine you mention for putting your own blood back into you. My OS said it is only used for small amounts of blood loss and didn't guarantee no transfusion, but in almost all cases no transfusion is ever required.

I, like @CricketHip, am confused trying to figure out where your incision is located. I'd swear the picture looks as though they did a knee replacement, instead of a hip replacement.
 
Happy to hear from you - sounds like you are in great spirits!! Also glad to hear you got a private room; I think it makes things a lot more comfortable. Hope your first OT & PT sessions are going well!
 
Thanks for the great update, @Plum Perfect, sounds like everything has been going very smoothly. Like @CricketHip, I'm not quite visualizing your incision, I also see a knee! I took a photo of mine and it looked like a butt, so I never posted it! Your incision looks very small compared to mine. Nice! I'll be following your progress-best wishes, don't eat too much dessert!
 
I can see it now!! the picture is sideways :) as a fellow anterior warrior I finally can see it. they start the incision up high.
okay I just looked again, its actually upside down.. ha! this is like a puzzle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom