Bilateral THR Pinched Nerve in Hip?

It sounds to me lie the stairs are causing your pain. Can you work on a laptop downstairs? Many people who feel pressured to return to work early experience more pain. I think the emotional stress makes the body react.

I bought a shower seat at Lowe's. I also have a hand held shower nozzle. Both of them really helped. I put up grab bars in the shower/bath, and had a standing walker next to the tub to get out of the bath. You will feel SO much better after you shower. I'm glad you have help.
 
Can you take the pain meds more often? I took them every two hours in the beginning. It made such a difference. Also, the rest and icing were incredible. It takes time and patience. Please don't rush. It would help if you could wait to get back to working, and stairs, I think. I hope I don't sound pushy. This is just my impression from your posts.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! , I do work on my laptop downstairs. The problem was with our server, that interacts with all of our computers, is upstairs. I needed to access that. Also, my shower is upstairs. At least I have a half-bath downstairs. I've been washing my hair in the kitchen sink, and taking sailor baths in the bathroom. With my daughter here, I have been able to work from downstairs, with her doing the actual labor. I think I am going to actually take next week off completely since I'm having cataract surgery on Wednesday! I'm not trying to rush anything. I do get frustrated, but I know if I overdo it, I will pay for it. I don't think you sound pushy at all! I appreciate your input.
 
Oh my God, you're having cataract surgery on Wednesday? I'm shocked. You're not afraid to have another surgery so soon after a bilateral hip replacement? It sounds like you're trying to do way too much to me. That's a lot of pressure.

Normally surgeons advise you to wait at a least a few months even to go to the dentist. The nerves need to settle down, and your body and psyche have to absorb the trauma. It really concerns me, what you're doing. Bilateral THR is like two major surgeries in one.

I would like to see you rest, stay home, and wait. I think your body is responding to the pressure and fear of the future with pain. I can't believe you are going to do all this. It scares me.
 
@StaceyJG1, I am with Hip Hip Hooray when I say that it is probably not a good idea to have any kind of surgery, even outpatient cataract, so soon after THR. Is your ortho surgeon aware of this? Can't the cataract surgery wait until you are strong, and chance of infection or other complications are lessened?
 
All of my doctors are on board. I won't be knocked out, just a sedative. I'll be awake. The surgery only takes 10-15 minutes. I appreciate all of your concerns. I was extra careful to ask.
 
Hope the cataract surgery goes super smoothly !


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@StaceyJG1, it's good that your doctors and you are comfortable with you having the cataract work done now. Best wishes that all goes as planned without a hitch! I have to remember that you are lots younger than I am, and that probably makes all the difference. I could never had done that. I was still quite uncomfortable and weak at a month out, and reading/watching online was what worked best to distract me from how I was feeling. Anything that could have disrupted that for me, as well as causing new discomfort however small, would have thrown me for such a loop! Really hope you heal well from both of the surgeries.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stacy,was just reading you post .If I understand this correctly you had a double hip replacement.When you have cataract surgery you have to sit in certain positions so as to not increase inter ocular pressure and that position might be hard to maintain with the hip surgery.Please take that into consideration.I hurt myself by pushing to hard ,to fast and now it's literally hurting me.Please be careful.Hindsight is always 20/20 pardon the pun.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Krista , this surgery is not a major procedure. They will take out the cataract and insert a new lens. I do not have to wear any protective eye covering. I will have a series of eye drops that I have to put in my eyes 4 times a day. The procedure itself will only take 10-15 minutes! I have to be there an hour before hand for a sequence of shots to dilate and numb my eye. I will be given some kind of sedative, but I will not be unconscious. I just won't care what they're doing! I will have to sleep with an eye patch on so that I don't rub my eye, but that's only for a few days. There is not supposed to be any pain afterwards. I'm looking forward to having it done so I can see again! My right eye is nearly completely clouded over. My left eye is just fine. I have a bit of cloud, but nothing interfering with my vision now. Maybe in a few years I'll have to have the left eye done.

@Healer01 , I will have to recline in a chair to almost a vertical position. I have already asked them about my back, since I have issues there, and they will put a cushion under my knees. I do not foresee any other pain with the way I will be seated. I will be 5 weeks out and I'm actually comfortable sitting. If need be, I will request more pillows.

I truly appreciate your input and concerns! This is just one more thing to fix in my falling-apart body. I had my Achille's tendon repaired last year, so I have no idea what I'll be facing in the future. I just have to roll with the punches!
 
I totally get it about your "falling apart body". After hardly ever needing to go to the doctor for decades, mine is now a mess. I have been to see more doctors and had more tests done in the last 16 months than I did before that in my whole lifetime! I hurt all over, can't sleep well, and could probably benefit from cataract surgery, too! I get that you want to be able to see better. Take good care, Stacey!
 
I thought I was doing well to not have had surgery except for my tonsils! I had an umbilical hernia repair in 2001, which wasn't fun, but not that bad. Fast forward to 2011 and all the fun began! Total vaginal hysterectomy in 2011; 3 months later I had to have my gall bladder removed; 2012 gastric bypass; 2014 Achille's tendon repair; 2016 bilateral hip replacements and (soon) cataract surgery. I think I've had enough for now!
 
You are the surgery Queen! ♔♕♔ I can't even imagine...
 
Neither can I!! I watched my mom go through a lot of surgeries as her body failed her, but she had Lupus, heart disease, and in the end, lung cancer. She had a lot of surgeries in her 59 years. I never thought I would be that one. Thankfully, I'm relatively healthy, given my parent's ailments. I could be a lot worse!
 
So, today is a completely different day. I'm feeling very low and sad. This is my first experience with this since my surgery. I'm frustrated because i can't do many of the things that I used to, I can't go upstairs by myself yet, and today is the first day that I've been completely alone since my surgery. My daughter is leaving tonight for a two week vacation, so she won't be here to help me while my husband is at work. I can get to the kitchen and reheat foods for myself, but when it comes to working, I know I have to get it done, but my hubby made me promise to not try to go upstairs when he's not here. I understand where he's coming from, but I feel so stuck. I'm tired of sitting or laying all the time. My butt is sore! I am able to lay on both sides now, which gives me a little break, but I want to be in my bed. I want to take a real shower. I want to drive!

I noticed today that my pain is still there, particularly in my right hip, but I don't think it's as bad as it's been. I want to try just Tylenol and see if it gives the same relief as my Percocet. If I can get off the Percocet, I can work towards driving. I will try it in my driveway first to make sure I can handle the pedals, but at least getting into my car would be progress! I think being home all the time is wearing me down, as well. I will be having my cataract surgery in two days, but other than that, I've been out of the house only 3 times!

I knew signing up for bilateral hip replacements wouldn't be an easy feat, and I'm not complaining about how I feel after 5 weeks, but I'm ready to get moving! My body is just not cooperating. I will see my surgeon next week for my 6 week follow-up. I want to ask to see my before and after x-rays and if I can get a copy of my surgery report. Is that something that they would give me? I did ask for one after my hysterectomy and they gave it to me. I would just like to know exactly what they did and what is in there. I will not let him escape without answering all of my questions this time. I will also ask about PT and when it will actually be useful without causing pain.

So, that's my day! I'm not trying to be a "debbie downer"!! I'm just getting restless!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry you're hitting those nasty doldrums! Mine didn't last very long and directly coincided with going off of the Percocet. Since you're already feeling low, I might suggest going off the Percocet VERY slowly (both times I weaned off I felt really low).
 
Lows are pretty common post surgery. I too am feeling trapped these days. After being home for 4 straight weeks in Jan/Feb these past 18 days have been somehow even harder. One thing that is saving my bacon is the ability to get outside a bit and feel some sunshine on my shoulders, so to speak! Can you get outside a little? I hope you feel better soon.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Sometimes the surgeon will give you the operative report after the surgery. Others do not do it as a matter of course, but you can always go the medical records department of the hospital where you had the surgery and get it there. When I went to the hospital for the operative report, I requested it and got it within a couple of minutes, for free! Sometimes you can do the ordering over the phone, but you will have to fill out and sign a request form (which you can sometimes get from their website) and mail it in to them, and then they mail it back to you.

Getting restless is part of the territory of THRs, especially with bilateral. As you wean yourself from the Percocet, which should be done slowly as Cynthia says, prepare yourself for getting grouchy and even more restless. But, since you've had so many surgeries, you must know the drill by now. I was just surprised at myself when I went off the Norco at how irritated I was for a few days.
 
@Cynthia777 , I haven't cut back on the Percocet yet, just contemplating it. I'm taking them every 5-6 hours now, when I feel the pain. Sometimes I go 8 hours without realizing it. I'm not really sure if that's part of the depression or just the other issues of being cooped up. After hearing that weening off the Percocet will cause depression, I don't want to! Lol

@jomarie58 , I have two pups that I have to get outside. Nno easy task with my walker! I have one that will stay with me without being on a leash, but the other one runs wild and will go into the street. Even though we live in a small village, a car could come by at any time and not see her. So trying to get her on her leash when she doesn't want to be on it can be very challenging! Yesterday, I did take a stool outside with me so I could sit on the porch while they ran off some energy. They're so much fun to watch! Now that I have the stool outside, I will go out more often.

@Krista , The funny thing is that I never had narcotics for more than a couple of days with my other surgeries. I'm on a very low dose, only 5/325, but for the first few weeks I was allowed to take two as needed. I've only been taking one at a time for a couple of weeks now. I'd really love to avoid the depression part of going off of them! Thank you for the suggestion about the surgery report. That never occurred to me. When I had my MRI on my back and neck, they said I could request a DVD through my doctor's office. I may do that just to see what they saw. Same thing with my before and after x-rays. I'm really curious to see them!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom