Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Pinched Nerve in Hip?

@StaceyJG1
have only just seen your post. I had bilateral 14th April then revision on left hip for dissociation of acetabular liner a week later. I am of sticks now. With regards to depression, I like so many others have experienced that. I thought I was going mad until I found this site as was never warned about the emotions you experience post op. Sleeping issues the same. Slept well 1st few days home but my sleep patterns are all over the place, to the extent I even fall asleep during the day, which I have never done. Concentration levels are still low as well. I knew nothing about all this before Bonesmart.org. Pre op I was on 300mg of Tramadol a day and Diclofenic. Since returning home I was on Paracetamol and an anti-inflamatory. I have not needed to take pain med for 4 weeks now. I get aches and pains but think I was in so much pain pre op that I don't need them now. Like others have said, don't overdo things and listen to your body. If you try something that hurts don't do it. I have worked out for myself that recovering fro 3 hip operations in 7 days - 'No pain No Gain' really doesn't apply to our recoveries. Pain is telling you to stop so should be listened to and not ignored or masked with med. I will follow your progress with interest and welcome to the bilateral club.
 
Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping. The more you heal, the easier it should get.

I noticed my vision became worse when I was taking the Percoset, too. It worried me. I have to wear the drugstore reading glasses, or I can't read fine print. I also do yoga eye exercises.
 
Hello @tony2hips ! I have read your page about your troubles. I have a lot of empathy for you! I can't imagine having another surgery so quickly. My pain is pretty well tolerated with Tylenol for now, and Tramadol when needed. My right leg is taking longer, but it was also deteriorated longer. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he said the tendons and surrounding tissues will take a little longer. My left leg hurts occasionally, but nearly as bad. I can stand on my left leg, for the most part, but not my right leg. I am able to get around with just the one crutch. I have a cane, but it doesn't relieve the pressure as well as the crutch. Because I'm self-employed, and my daughter went on vacation, I have been forced to work. I can't handle more than 4-6 hours, though. I have to go up and down the stairs too often, and trying to pull my orders is very difficult, but this is my livelihood. Thankfully, my daughter will be back next week! Sleeping is an issue, so I sleep 3-4 hours, and then I'm back up. Not very restful! Hopefully, it will resolve itself soon. Kudos to you and I hope your recovery stays on course!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! , I told my surgeon yesterday that I stopped the Percocet because of the side effects. He fully supported it. My eyes are less funny today. Now for the question: What are eye yoga exercises???
 
There are many reasons why I chose to go with the "no therapy" approach early on. I have had severe pain and degeneration for 20+ years. I was told that I was too young to consider replacements until this year. The surgeon I used is top in his field in my area. He fully supported my lack of PT, I did not go into this lightly. I still have considerable pain on my right side, but I am started back to PT today. I have done my stretches and walking every day. Now is time to start building up my strength again, and get the ROM that I haven't had in many years. Even with the new hips, I am unable to do many things. The tendons and ligaments just won't allow me to yet. Hence the PT. We all have different experiences and different approaches.

I had my Achille's tendon repaired last year and after the imposed 3 months of no weight-bearing, I hit the PT hard to build the strength back up. I am a bowler and my goal is to be back to it in the fall. I have been working my quad, calf and glute muscles so they do not shrink up on me.

Your recovery sounds amazing!
 
@Mikessp , I was 29 when I was diagnosed. There was no discussion of even a possibility of hip replacements at that time. Just that I was too young and just take pills. The funny thing about the eye surgery was that there was no discussion of possible infections or complications. My regular doctor said that it's not a major surgery and there wasn't anything to worry about. I know that if I go to the doctor or have any other procedures, I have to take antibiotics.

I'm finding that the more I move, the more pain I'm having, so I need to back off a little bit. Thankfully, my hubby has been helping with my business, and my daughter will be home this week. That should help! Then I can focus a bit more on doing the things that I need to do to recover and not so much on the things I have to do for my work.

I need to get out and start walking, per my therapist! More movement that is level, and not so much for the bending and lifting that is hurting me. I'm looking forward to moving back towards "me"!
 
I didn't realize I haven't been here for so long! I've been reading posts, but not posting.

I'm still having a lot of pain in my right hip. I have mentioned it to my surgeon every time I've seen him, and he tells me that I have tendonitis in that hip and that it will take time to heal. I thought at 4 months I should be feeling better by now! The pain is worse now than before the surgery. Very frustrating!!! I take Tylenol and Tramadol religiously.

After reading a few posts, I guess I'm not the only one to experience this. This was not caused by my overdoing after the surgery because I have been very careful, (overly so!) because of fear of pain. What else can I do? To be honest, I have not been icing because I though it wouldn't help at 4 months post-op. I have iced it twice now tonight, and I'm hoping to see some improvement.

I started bowling last Sunday. This is the entire goal of having the surgery in the spring, so that I would have time to recuperate. It is very painful, but I can't just give up my entire life. I'm only bowling two leagues per week, where I used to bowl three. Taking that one step on my right leg during my approach, is horrible! I shortened my approach from 4 steps to 3 so that I would only have to actually step on my right leg one time. I stand back about two feet from the foul line and take baby steps. My left leg is doing great! No pain at all.

Are there any other things that I can do? Stretches? Meds? Anything? Bowling is the ONLY thing that I enjoy doing and I am dreading it right now. I bowl on Friday and Sunday nights, so I have all week to rest and recuperate.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
 
@StaceyJG1 Sounds to me as though you are irritating the tendonitis..... Bowling sounds like torture! Ask yourself this "Just because I can do it --should I ? ". I have learned through what is now three joint replacements that healing requires great patience on our part. You have to listen to your hip --it tells you what you should be doing.
My advice is to stop bowling for now --let the hip heal properly even if it takes a year or so. Surely the folks you bowl with can support that and find another role for you on the team --chief cheerleader! If you have a family doctor make sure to include him/her in your recovery --they can best help with the emotional side of things and even with pain control and appropriate physical therapy.
 
You just made my hubby happy! Lol He has been suggesting that I should take a year off. My surgeon says to do my stretches and keep moving. And that bowling is fine! The pain wasn't even this bad before the replacements!!
 
I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm not convinced that it is tendonitis. I have the pain when I walk. It feels the same as before I had the replacement. I can cross my leg up to my knee. Bending to my feet I can do, but it does hurt bilaterally when I stand back up and sometimes when bending over. I hope this makes sense! I just want to try to figure out what is actually going on so I know what my next move should be. All my surgeon says is that I have tendonitis. He did take X-rays and said my joints themselves are fine.

P.S. I AM sitting here with an ice pack as I type!
 
Ice is our friend :) My OS says not to touch my toes --too hard on the hips!
Pain tells us to stop doing something. I think your questions should go to @Josephine or @Jaycey
I know that you did not do PT but a good physical therapist can help sort out joint problems --mine certainly has.
 
I've been wondering if I should go back to PT. He could help isolate the areas that need to be worked on without hurting me.

I have been waiting to see what @Josephine or @Jaycey have to say! Thanks!!
 
I would suggest that you only bowl once per week for now - if that. You are over doing it with that hip and it's telling you. Lifting any kind of weight can be tricky post op. But lifting weight and then that long stretch - well that hip just isn't ready. Scale back and build up very slowly. This is temporary. But if you continue to push this it may become a chronic situation.
 
@Jaycey , I'm praying that is is temporary! Some days it feels like it will never get better. When I'm doing my steps to the approach, I'm taking 3 tiny steps, so there isn't a stretch on my right leg. I look silly, but it's better than not trying. I am now considering sitting out a week and icing more and seeing if that doesn't make a difference.
 
I've been wondering if I should go back to PT. He could help isolate the areas that need to be worked on without hurting me.
Exactly. I have an excellent physical therapist so I'm a proponent of PT in the right circumstances. If you have a good one they certainly can advise and provide an opinion, based on hands-on evidence, on what may work. I also have a great family doctor who is the doc for our university sports teams so he is fabulous in these situations.
I have nerve irritation (Meralgia paresthetica) after my THR. I did home PT at first, then 4 weeks of independently doing home PT exercises and walking, followed by outpatient PT at the 7 week point. It was just the right timing --gait has improved considerably. Hip fatigues when I go out shopping but is becoming stronger, and with a combination of meds and PT the nerve irritation is slowly becoming manageable. I expect it all to take about a year to settle down as did my knees. So perhaps your hubby is right about a year off :rolleyes::chinstroke:
 
I found lifting any kind of weight on my new hips very aggravating. It's all about building up the strength gradually. Your mind knows what you want to do but your body just isn't ready yet. This does not mean you won't be bowling. It just means you need a more gradual approach.

As Chihuahuan suggests, maybe a PT with expertise in joint replacement rehab might be able to help. At least if you are working with a PT you will feel like you are progressing!
 
@Jaycey @StaceyJG1 Baby steps --gosh it's hard when you want to run --or in this case bowl ! I find that I do better mentally if I am doing something productive towards recovery.
 
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Pinched Nerve in Hip?


[Bonesmart.org] Pinched Nerve in Hip?



I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, work and such?

8. Are you doing any exercises? If so, what and how much meaning how many reps and how often
 
I guess I've been MIA for quite a while! Well, I'm here now looking for answers and advice.

My right hip is still not working properly. When I walk any distance I feel a cramp that seems to wrap around the joint on the outside. I am limping significantly and have some pretty severe pain, at times. Sometimes it's a level 7-8. I was told that I have tendinitis in the joint after my surgery, but shouldn't that get better over time? I am now almost 7 months post-op.

I feel that in the past couple of weeks I have gone backwards! I have had to use my cane a few times because of the extreme pain. Sitting up in a chair makes me very stiff and takes a bit to be able to stand upright. Sleeping is a problem because I can't get comfortable. I am sleeping with a pillow between my knees still.

I was scheduled to see my surgeon's PA next Monday, but I called today and changed it to Thursday. If this is tendinitis, can't they give me some type of shot that will help it stop hurting? After a car accident several years ago, I had tendinitis in both knees where they went into the dash, and I was given a shot of cortisone or something. It seemed to help. I am not in PT any more, and I only use Tylenol and Tramadol for pain.

Thank you for any advice!
 
If this is tendonitis, can't they give me some type of shot that will help it stop hurting?
Yes they can give you an injection and in most cases it addresses the pain immediately.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom