Bilateral THR Pinched Nerve in Hip?

That would be such a relief!! Thank you, @Jaycey !! I'll see him tomorrow. I guess I'm worried that that won't be the problem. I do know he added height back to my right side. I don't want it to be the other issues I've read about!
 
Are you doing any extra exercising or activity? Overdoing can cause tendonitis post THR.
 
No, if anything I'm doing less. When I try to walk any length of time I feel a cramp that wraps around the hip area on the outside. I am bowling, but I shortened my approach to three steps so as to only step on my right leg one time. It's still a lot of walking, however. I only bowl twice a week, and I missed two days last week because of the pain. This is not what I expected when I had the surgery!
 
I was told that I have tendinitis in the joint after my surgery, but shouldn't that get better over time?
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Pinched Nerve in Hip?


[Bonesmart.org] Pinched Nerve in Hip?
 
@Josephine , I feel the pain exactly where that star is on the smaller picture. I just got home from the doctor and he said I have bursitis. He pushed on it and it hurt! He gave me an injection directly into the site and I do feel relief. Now I have to work on getting the strength back. I've been favoring it for so long that it is very weak. I wish I had known sooner! I wouldn't have had to suffer for so long. Live and learn!
 
Yes, that's Iliopsoas syndrome. Plus you get lots of bursae around the hip as you can see in the article. And there are good stretches you can do to help.
Now I have to work on getting the strength back.
I wouldn't recommend that. I've never found exercise induced conditions to ever be improved by more exercising! Do the stretches instead!
 
Oh! I'll have to read the article, thank you so much! What about just increasing my walking? With the stretches?
 
I got the answer in that article. I was wondering how a shot to the outside would help the inside, but now I understand. I could only explain it in the sense of having a bad tooth and when you bite down it hurts in the nerve area. The stretches definitely address the issues I'm having. I have been bowling since September. Should I stop for a while to let this resolve itself? Or will it be alright to keep doing? I have had to skip a few times due to the pain, but I don't want to overdo it now that I have a diagnosis.
 
It amazes me how I have to pay to go and see my surgeon's PA, which I don't have a problem with, but I received way more information here than I did from him! All he said was that I might have to have more injections in 3 months and to roll a ball on the area 3x/day to break it up.
 
I have been bowling since September. Should I stop for a while to let this resolve itself?
If it were me I would stop bowling for a bit and see if this eases. The stride you need to bowl plus lifting the weight of the ball might cause a bit of stress. Since your surgeon says wait and see I would be proactive and see if changing the activity level eases this.
 
You're got a good point. I shortened my approach to 3 steps so that I only step on the right leg 1 time each time. Holding the 15 pound ball does make it hurt more! I think I will take the next few weeks off and get subs.
 
@Josephine , I just found out that I actually have Greater trochanteric bursitis of right hip. I did receive an injection on 12/08, but it has completely worn off now. I have tried icing and stretching, and I stopped bowling completely for three weeks. Nothing has helped! Any more suggestions? They probably can't do another injection this soon, so what are my alternatives?

Thanks for any advice!!
 
Ice and take pain killers like Tylenol (1,000mg 6hrly).

Was your date December 8 or August 12th? I can never tell.
But steroid injections can be repeated at 3 monthly intervals.
 
I placed a call to my surgeon's office and I was told that I could not have another injection for three months following the first one, which I already knew, and that he recommended that I try deep tissue massage. I had been using a rolling pin, and he suggested using a ball instead. It did make a difference! In just this past week, I have finally been starting to feel better. The bad thing is that my nerve block on my back has completely worn off. They are going to do nerve ablations next, but not until March. I guess moderate pain in my lower back is better than the extreme pain in my hip! Onward and upward!!
 
I know that I need to tag @Josephine to get the proper response, and I'm very hopeful for some type of resolution.

I had my bilateral hip replacements in May of 2016. Recovery has been long, but not as bad as I expected. I did develop a bursa in my right hip a little after sugery, but that has resolved itself now. I have a new issue that I just can't take much more of.

A few days ago, I noticed that I had a muscle going from my hip down my thigh that would seem to be cramping. I could stretch and walk it off, but as of Friday, I can't do anything to relieve the pain. I've noticed it's the worst after I've been sitting for any length of time and then stand up and walk a bit. An example would be that I get off my chair (I work from home), walk to the restroom (about 10 feet away), do my business and then when I stand to walk back, the cramping and pain begin. I bowl 2-3 times a week, sliding on the affected side, and tried to do so last night. If I stayed on my feet, it wouldn't cramp as bad, but it was very weak and I'm walking with a definite limp. I stopped after the 2nd game because I felt unsafe. I was certain that my leg would give out on me.

Now, here comes this morning, and after walking downstairs, I am in the absolute worst pain imaginable! Walking makes it significantly worse. I took a muscle relaxer and some ibuprofen and tried to lay down and no matter how I laid (straight legs, bent legs, flat on back, one side to the other), it would not stop spasming! My three outside toes were also numb. There was no way to walk back to my chair to sit, which is almost the only way I seem to be able to make it stop. I was sobbing so horribly in pain that I was shocked that my hubby didn't come running. I was very close to having him take me to the hospital! After about 45 minutes, it seemed to let up and I did doze a bit. I had my hubby get my cane from all of my prior surgeries, and if I minimize the weight placed on the affected leg, it does seem to help.

I should also state that I do have lumbar and cervical issues. I had nerve ablations in both regions a few months ago. Lower back has been great! But, given the issues I know that I have there, this could very well be related to my back.

What on earth do I do to end this? Do I need to see a doctor? What could they do? I'm sitting with a heating pad on the affected lower portion of my back. It feels great, but I'm not sure if it's helping. Prior to this, I have not been having any pain at all.

Thank you for reading this, if you're still with me! I'm awaiting some pearls of wisdom!
 
Hi @StaceyJG1
I'm sorry for your struggles and pain, it sounds awful.
I noticed you tagged Josephine and she will get back to you.
Not sure if you're aware but she's in the U.K. Check back as she will have questions
for you.

I'd consider calling my doctor also as the pain and unrelenting spasms you describe sound
miserable. You questioned if you should see a doctor and wondered what they would do.
Well...first they'd try to make a diagnosis and then implement treatment to help you....
which is more than we can do. We can certainly encourage and support you but the pain you described
definitely needs attention. Hoping you get answers and some relief soon.

Wishing you comfort and restful sleep tonight!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom