Bilateral THR Pinched Nerve in Hip?

Today was strange. I had to go out in order to get a refill for my pain meds. I haven't been out since my surgery except for my follow-up appt and one PT session. I actually had to talk myself into going! I felt afraid. I needed to do a few errands since I had my daughter driving me. When we got to Wal-mart, my daughter went to get me a scooter since I can't walk that far yet, and I felt so vulnerable! When I had to use the scooter after my Achille's surgery last year, you could see the cast. Nobody could tell why I needed the scooter. I was probably being paranoid, but I felt like people were staring and judging. We couldn't get out of there fast enough! But, I got everything on my list, and a few things that weren't on my list!! It felt good to get out, and I'll be glad when I can walk again. I was exhausted by the time we got back home. We were gone for about 2 1/2 hours. Baby steps!
 
If you can find a physio who is used to working with THR patients you might find it useful. Mine is very good at listening to how I feel and telling me what the purpose of the stretches and exercises is. I found the very early weeks good for moving me into a correct gait and later on I said what I wanted to achieve and she gives me exercises working towards that. Reading posts here gave me the confidence to speak up and say no to anything that seemed to hurt too much or to so fewer reps than suggested but she's always been happy to go at my pace.
 
Part of the problem I have with my therapist is that he has never had a patient that had both hips done at the same time. I'm sure the exercises are the same whether it's one hip or two, but after reading some posts here, I feel comfortable postponing sessions until a bit later in my recovery. I have been seeing the same therapist for many years for various issues. He's close and small-town. It's comfortable for me there. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to hurt needlessly.
 
@StaceyJG1 - My PT gals also had not had a BTHR patient before me :) But they were really great to work with and very gentle. I went in to see them about every 2 weeks - stretching out my benefits - and did exercises at home every day between visits. I started seeing them about 7-8 weeks after my surgery. The exercises were pretty easy to do and progressed from simple stretching to more complex strengthening over time. I continued to work with them for about 6 months total - and it really did help a lot with flexibility, strength, range of motion, and getting my gait back to normal. They did not do anything like manually stretching my legs or massage therapy. Just had me do old exercises, measured ROM, gave me new exercises. At first the exercises would have me feeling tired after doing a set ... but that went away pretty quickly. I do not recall any exercise that caused me pain.

I sincerely hope PT will be as helpful to you as it was to me!
 
I think I'm on the same path as you as far as timing. I'll go back to my PT, but when I'm a bit more recovered. I have 100% faith in him, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't, just that right now I don't think it's as beneficial as it will be in a few more weeks. I can't wait to have more flexibility!
 
Nobody could tell why I needed the scooter. I was probably being paranoid, but I felt like people were staring and judging.
I suffer from fatigue syndrome and usually visit about 4 or 5 different stores when I shop. The last one I go to, I am always far too wiped to walk round the store and so I use a mobility scooter. People can't see my disability either but you know what? I couldn't care less! I enjoy driving around with it, doing 360 degree turns in the main aisle and three point turns in the regular aisles, reversing back to get to something - it's fun and I get my shopping done in half the time! You know this thing about feeling conspicuous is just a question of mind over matter - no not that! My version is "if you don't mind, it doesn't really matter"! Don't let your idea of how people are reacting to you make your life miserable. They probably aren't thinking that at all!
 
@Josephine , that's the only way I got through it! I had to just say "I don't care" to myself and do my shopping. Why people feel that it's alright for them to stare and make judgements is beyond me. When I see someone in a scooter anywhere near me, I look to see if they might need help. Being tall, more often than not, they need something from a higher shelf that I can reach for them. Silly me to think that other people might think the same way! :flabber::scratch::doh:
 
It's been 4 weeks as of today since my surgery. I am able to put a bit more weight on my right leg, but still not much or for long. I usually can put my weight on my left leg, but at times, it still hurts. I don't have any pain in sitting or bending down, I was told that I had no restrictions at 3 weeks. I'm still not driving since my right leg is still not as functional as I would like, or my husband would like! Perhaps next week. I went upstairs for the 3rd time since my surgery. It takes a lot out of me! It was 80 degrees in my office so I didn't stay up there very long! I'm going to try to get back up there again tomorrow to take a real shower instead of my sailor baths! I have so much that should be done, but nothing that can't wait until I'm up for it. I've made a nice little office for myself downstairs. My daughter is able to work upstairs while I work downstairs. That keeps my business going! Unfortunately for me, she is going on vacation for two weeks starting on the 14th, so I will have to find a way to do my work. My husband will help as much as he can, but there is a lot that he doesn't know. It will be a challenge! But that's next week. I'll be that much better by then by doing what I'm doing now.

I would definitely do this again! Just knowing that I will be pain-free after all these years of suffering makes it worth it. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I would have loved a do-over!
 
I found the very basic PT exercises to be helpful. I didn't do many repetitions. (maybe 10 when I started.) It helps to have as stress free of a lifestyle as possible. There's plenty of time. It goes slowly at first, but once you are healed, it seems like it just whizzes by...and the improvements are amazing.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! , thank you! I have read your page with great admiration! It was very helpful, as well. I can't believe it's already been 4 weeks. I could be a negative Nelly and think that I'm "only" as far as I am, but I'm realistic and realize that my body has gone through a lot of damage in the first place, then the butchery of this surgery, it's a process. I'm very comfortable with my decision to take the slow approach regarding PT. I do the stretches and walking. When I get stronger, I'll worry about the flexibility. I'm already back to where I was before the surgery, so it can only get better.
 
@StaceyJG1, You're doing great. If you think of the alternatives to having this surgery, it's pretty incredible. I probably would have been using a walker or wheelchair without it. Not to mention you will be pain free. I just feel like you can't put a price on that. It does take time, but what they do is very complex. I am amazed at the skill of the surgeons.

The little things will keep adding up for you. (Putting on your socks and shoes, shaving you legs, clipping your toenails, picking things up off the floor.) A lot of it happens automatically. Time and patience...
 
I want to echo previous comments about PT not being the magic bullet in this case. I know it seem counterintuitive, and I will admit to be a huge fan of PT for practically every other injury I've ever sustained. But for my 2 hip replacements (18 months apart), I found PT to aggravate things, not help. I found that the normal movement involved with walking--pushing up from a sitting position, standing straight, walking with as normal a gait as possible, increasing how far I walk a little at a time--was all I needed to regain full movement. I found PT to just make the pain worse and not really help me move forward in my recovery all that much.

That being said, I am meeting with my personal trainer next week for my first post-op session (4 weeks post-op) to strengthen the rest of me that has become so weak and easily fatigued. We're NOT going to be working on my hip just yet, but the rest of me will at least start getting stronger again.

If you find physical therapy is helping you regain your strength more quickly than without it, great. By all means stay with it. But if not, and you are finding your pain levels are actually worse with it, I'd vote for firing your PT and doing it at your own pace. :-) Sometimes docs order things like PT to cover their butts and not because it's the exact right thing for that specific patient.
 
@marcsgirl102 , Thank you for your thought provoking post! I am at the point now that I have decided to not go back to the therapist until the healing is done. At that point, I want to work on my flexibility issues and strength training. I went upstairs yesterday and was in so much pain last night! I had to go back upstairs today, and I'm not happy about it. I had to fix something regarding my business and the main computer is upstairs. Unfortunately, I couldn't fix the issue and my hubby had to come home and fix it. I really wanted to take a real shower today, but my hips just won't let me. Maybe tomorrow!
 
Ouch! Well, given everything, it sounds like a wise decision to bow out of PT for a while.

Be gentle with yourself. Bilateral hip replacements is a major event and there is absolutely no one-size-fits-all recovery schedule--everyone's journey is unique.

BTW, when you are finally able to shower, it would be a good idea to have your husband "spot" you until you're really mobile again. The change in balance and strength makes getting in and out of the shower a bit perilous without an extra hand...and falling is enemy #1! :-)
 
So, my pain is a little less today, but I'm getting frustrated at how slowly my right hip is recovering. I am still not able to stand on it without considerable pain and by using a walker. When will this subside? I can already see that the strength on that side is not good, so I'm sure I'll be walking funny, but it would be nice to not have the pain! I'm still needing my pain meds every 5-6 hours, but not nearly as bad. I'm going to start on walking more, and perhaps some gentle stretching, but without the pain. I hope it improves soon!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom